Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Getting a Class A license

Palmer78 ยท 2013-08-29 00:18

What's the best way to get a class A license? I figure it might be a good idea to get one while I wait to get into the operators apprenticeship program. Is there a way to learn what I need to know, and also get hired as a driver without spending an arm and a leg for classes?

Replies11
  1. #1monster762013-08-29 00:33

    Yes go to a cdl school or do like me I took my written borrowed a truck practice in an open lot untill you feel confident enough to take the test

  2. #2monster762013-08-29 00:35

    Passing the test isn't hard the hard stuff come later when your actually on the road

  3. #3mitch5042013-08-29 00:56

    A lot of the big OTR trucking companies run their own driver training schools, and most even pay you while they teach you, too.

  4. #4Randy882013-08-29 05:51

    First is your driving record clean, meaning little or no accidents, no drunk driving arrests or convictions, very few speeding tickets, never lost your license for any reason, those kinds of things, then can you pass the physical for the the cdl, then move forward with either learning to drive basically on your own or for someone else. I've heard stories of people applying for the driving schools and after paying, were expelled because they couldn't pass the physical or had a bad driving record, and their money wasn't refunded either, because they started the class, just something to think about beforehand.

  5. #5Palmer782013-08-29 13:11

    Thanks for the replies. My driving record is spotless. I've gotten one speeding ticket in my life which was about 9 years ago, so I'm not sure if it's even on my record anymore. I don't know what they look for with the physical, but I am a healthy guy. I like the idea of taking the written test on my own, and borrowing a truck to take the driving test. If I took that route how hard do you think it would be to get hired as a driver?

  6. #6ValleyFirewood2013-08-29 14:58

    I just went in the DMV, took the tests, got the medical at my Dr's office, and took the driving test with one of my trucks. Took a total of about 3 days from start to finish.

  7. #7redneckracin2013-08-29 15:34

    The medical issues will be the hardest part really. I went to the local bus company who has a class that you call and schedule the use of their truck, trailer, instructor and tester. The spend an hour giving you a crash course (better read the book before hand and have your permit in hand) Then they throw you in the truck with the tester. About 4 hours later, I was walking out of the DMV with my cdl. No big deal.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2013-08-29 23:39

    Agreed, that's how it worked here in Ca where the OP is from, for me at least, some years ago. Call around to equipment rental yards and such. Here the guy charged $70 per hour for the truck with instructor, and you could poke around the truck all you wanted and practice for free without instructor, and the rental for the test period was equally reasonable. You just have to find the right place to rent from. Also, the CDL book sometimes has ads for rental places. They were advertising a short 6 speed synchro truck with air brakes and an electric pintle trailer which I don't think you have to parallel park for the test, and it gets you a full license with no restrictions.

  9. #9mitch5042013-08-29 23:51

    Here that would get you a class A restricted "no fithwheel"

  10. #10Steve Frazier2013-08-30 02:42

    Study the DMV book for your state, the test questions are taken directly from it. If you can find someone who will let you practice on their truck, that's great, then when you think you're ready apply for your road test. Make sure you study the pre-trip section and do it step by step at your test, and exaggerate every move during the test. Getting hired as a rookie is tough, most majot trucking companies want a minimum of 2 years experience before they'll talk to you. I worked for a local construction company for a couple years before I was able to haul freight.

  11. #11Fastdirt2013-08-30 20:01

    Is it possible to find a construction company or similar company (delivery, lumber yards, landscape supply, etc.) that runs under 26k single axel non CDL trucks and also 26k+ CDL required tandems and such. You could get in as a driver and show determination and become a truck driver in a single axel. Let them know it is your life long aspiration to become class A. Managers and employers love that in a potential prospect. Then after time they could have an employee go with you in Class A truck to take the test. Definitely go take the written and have your learners permit in your pocket. That will show determination. That's pretty much how I got mine. Good luck, I know it's not going to happen overnight but it's a natural progression.