Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

getting inside ball joints unthread off steering cylinder on 590 SM

Stanley the dog · 2020-12-02 20:11

Im new to this but have a question as in how is the best way to unthread the inter ball joints off a steering cylinder on a case 590SM case backhoe the cylinder has a couple of flat spots on next to the ball joint it but its not wide enough to get a wrench on it to hold cylinder from turning so that the ball joints can be removed and i asking because i don't want to damage the cylinder I'm sure theres a trick to this but i don't know what it is any help would be appreciated both these ball joints are right handed threads

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632020-12-02 20:47

    A chisel bit in a air hammer works well if they aren’t rusted in the rod. You can also “thin out” a wrench to fit the flats by using a grinder.

  2. #2NH575E2020-12-03 13:37

    On my New Holland I put a pipe wrench on the left one to hold it and loosened the right side. I was lucky that the right side was the one that came loose. After that I pulled the left side tie rod with the cylinder shaft. Then I ground out a large stop collar to hold the piston while I loosened the left side joint. I tried the air chisel first and found no love. I also tried grinding a wrench to get on the flats and it just spread.

  3. #3Stanley the dog2020-12-03 16:45

    Thank you for your input but i got them off today they both was right hand threads so i put a wrench on one end at the ball joint to hold it and turned the other on one broke lose then loosened that end up and put a wrench on the flat of the power steering shaft after i loosened ball joint so i could get a full size wrench in it then turned the other one with wrench and it broke lose but i was lucky both sides had right hand threads but thanks again for your input

  4. #4Tinkerer2020-12-03 19:42

    Welcome to HEF, Stanly The Dog !! Nice read you got the problem solved.