I have a new to me case 580 SE with a 4-390. Runs sweet, has a few leaks, looks a little tired, my first backhoe. Purchased and put to work around the acreage immediately digging trenches and doing what a new backhoe owner would do. Noticed the oil light came on at idle when hot a couple weeks ago. Figured it might just need an oil change. Put in 30W and a new filter. No change. Removed the pressure switch and verified it works and closes @ 8 PSI which surprised me it switches so low. Purchased a mechanical gage but have not yet installed it. I'm pretty sure it will confirm my suspicions. I've read through piles of notes on this issue but most point to a missing plug after a rebuild. My next attack will be to remove the pressure regulator from the cooler just below the filter and see what it looks like. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Welcome to HEF @Linktorn Might be a good idea to cut open the old oil filter & check to see if there maybe some metal flake in it from worn bearings......
Wish I would have thought of that before I tossed it...
What is the oil pressure at WOT ?
Don't know yet. Haven't put on a gage. Will do that this weekend. The light goes out at 1/8th throttle or so. The tack don't work either. The drive for it fell off the injection pump long before I obtained it. There's lots on the "to do" list for it but this issue is primary on the list.
Ok, put a gage on it today. Cold it was idling around 10 PSI. Once warm, it was idling at 5 PSI. WOT was 40. Will pull the regulator soon and give it a look. As I said it runs like a top, no odd noises which leads me to believe (and hope) it's something simple.
Hooray! Today I pulled the regulator apart and cleaned it all up and she's now idling at 40 warm and 70 WOT.
good deal congs.
Outstanding !!!