Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site and am hopeing to get some advice on how to get a job starting out in construction. I am 26 years old and really want to become a heavy equipment operator at some point, I have no problem digging a ditch with a shovel, I know spring is around the corner and I would like some advice on how to go about it, what type of questions to ask and what kind of questions will I get asked, any responce I will greatly appreciate.
You need to think of what you want to do (generally) utility work water lines ect or mass grading land clearing, building pads ect. Are you good at math, can you read plans, drivers license? You should look into getting your CDL it will only make you $$$. I like to stop at job sites if you see some guys around to find out who they work for and get some names, but don't bother them if they look like there in the middle of something important. Look at there equipment if it held together with bailing wire they won't take care of there guys any better than there equipment old is doesn't mean bad.
If you've got any mines around your area, they're a relatively high paying, quick way to get into the field.
Well there are no mines around here, I had always had an intrest in road building or running a loader in a pit. As far as any type of machine experiance I have worked on a dairy farm running good sized tractors with loaders, in high school I did a work experiance program were I worked at a heavy equipment dealer in the shop, and the last couple of years I have been doing snow plowing, working for my self.
I dont have nearly the experince these guys do on the big stuff, but years ago I ran a trucking repair shop that relocated and left me unemployeed since wife and I did'nt want to go with it. I made a concious decsion I wanted to learn to run the big toys and started applying at larger construction companies and made my intentions clear I wanted to operate equipment. I had a minor background such as yours with equipment, nothing special, but a fairly good knowledge of the machines and how they operated and drive/common sense to figure them out with some practice. I was hired by a large company that did alot of federal job (concrete related roads, bike trails, curb and gutter in towns, etc...) and they sent me to school to operate their brand new string line paver. I had alot of fun once we got the job sites and hard work of setting machine and stirng lines was done, also able to jump into the other equipment when I wanted and play around, was actually encouraged on off days to come out and have free rein of anything I wanted at the yard to get better at operating different models. Very good opportunity, but once federal jobs were over and pay went back to normal, I had to go lol, and went back to working for myself again.
What class of drivers license do you have? That would be the first question. What type of experience do you have? That would be question two. If you have no experience on equipment, probally try and get a job with a construction company starting out on the ground floor so to speak. Do the manual labor thing, work hard and show your interest in operating heavy equipment. I am sure that they will give you a chance eventually. Probally a good year to apply as a lot of operators are going out west for the big bucks.:yup
hey man have u sent out any resumes? i'm 22 and worked with a few contractors around saint john can't think of anyone around u thats looking off the top of my head,thinking of taking the course near sussex for awhile but i dunno we'll see... i need a tax write off for next year try the small guys around u,you seem to know your stuff most guys if you state your case will give you a try dexter was looking for a few guys earlier this summer hmm atcon up north?..i know charmac does a bit of water/sewer jobs down here as of late just pick up the phone and ask worst they can say is no then try another company ok i rambled on enough fer 1 day lol good luck man anything else just ask
you have experience!! actually my boss thinks it is the best experience to have! you mentioned working on a dairy farm, correct? you have most proably learned quite a few skills that are neccesarry. hopefully you someone that helped you learn and aquire new skills. i worked for two brothers on their farm. they taught me alot. i use those same skills 25 years later. not just on operating equipment but the maintenance also. actually they gave me alot of advice on life and everything they ever said was true. i am getting a little off topic now, but good luck. if you really want to be an operator, just apply yourself,ask questions,take care of the equipment like it is YOURS!!! any boss would love to have you.
I found out that the local land fill will be hiring operators this spring and that they sometimes will take a chance and train the right person. If I dont get anything I plan to go back on the farm, I really injoied it and had fun doing it. Right now I just wish it would snow so I could make some more big bucks plowing.:yup
JOIN THE CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Banghead
big bucks....plowing? in nb? lol $25 a driveway....or less how much you getting up there?
well landfills have their plusses. same job site everyday, work even in rain,(as you can tell that is what i am doing now.) i have great benefits , lots of bonuses and incentives. not a bad job. i miss heavy construction, but dont miss traveling to different jobs. i also like working everyday rain or shine. you might consider it.
I plow up to 50 driveways depending on how much snow we get, plus I have a couple appartment buildings that I plow. Price wise I start out at $20 bucks & up, just all depends on how much snow falls, but this winter I am getting squat, maybee I should move to Newfoundland where it snows every two days.
If I had my choice, I would like to run a loader in a pit screening gravel & loading trucks, working in the same area rain or shine (like you said), but like I say I have no problem being handed a shovel, right now I really need a job change cause i've been working nights (1am to 9am) for over 5 years now (no time off) and caint take much more of it, plus also working diffrent days last year on the farm.
i did the gravel pit thing also. it is ok work. i for one dont enjoy loading trucks all day. but it is a honest living. it is good experience also. i would love to be able to farm again. that is my real passion.
I know spring is around the corner and I would like some advice on how to go about it, what type of questions to ask and what kind of questions will I get asked, any responce I will greatly appreciate.[/QUOTE] CAT, Can I suggest, if jobs as operators are hard to find you should get a job with a good construction company that has equipment, at any level you can. When applying tell the truth about your experience and interest in learning to be an operator. Come early, learn everything you can and be the last to leave. If you can, help good operators with there equipment. Hang around the shop and help good mechanics. Ask questions but listen. Listen and Watch. When you get the chance to run something thank the people who give you the opportunity. Even if a job doesn't come along soon if there are jobs or equipment yards close by stop in introduce yourself ( look the guy in the eye and give a firm handshake} tell them about your quest and ask if you could help. Then listen and watch take it all in. I mention the listening and watching because the good people in the construction business have alot to offer you and they are (and should be) proud of the work they do. If they see your interest and think you respect them (listened} they will give you an opportunity. Nick
Very good advice Nick :yup Most professional operators (if approached the right way) are more than happy to share their knowledge, but be cautious not to over do it with to many questions at once. As Nick said, help them with their equipment, get to know them and very important...listen
I found out last week about a local company was needing a loader operator for in a pit close to home latter in the spring, there is three loaders in the pit working and the guy who they hired last spring for the loader had no experiance and was being trained(never worked construction), well he just recently told my uncle that he wasnt going back because it was boring. I quickly applied for the job and had talked to someone about the job, I was asked if I had any loader experiance and I said no but told them that I had worked on a farm running a large tractor with loader handling round bales three quarters of the time there and also let them know that I was aware that the previos guy had no experiance ether and that I really would like an opertunity if they are still willing to train. I was told that they had nothing for me to do at the moment. I have been on loaders before riding around and know I can do it, people tell me to keep going back there and checking but I dont want to make a nusance of my self or should I ?
i'd ask when they might be hireing or leave your phone number and if you hear nothing check back once a month or so i doubt they'd be annoyed it shows that you possess interest in working for them
I'd definately check back once a month, even though you might not have their exact experience requirements, you have run machinery so you have a clue obviously and that goes a long ways in having a really fast learning curve. and not to sound too condesending, but running a loader is not a difficult task anyways and is probably one of the easiest of the heavy eq to learn to operate effeicently. I dont have yrs of experience running machinery all day like most here, but when I operated a companies string line paver for a summer and even with the varying set-ups/working conditions it gets old doing the same thing over and over. I thought jumping in the back hoe or running a skidder all day would be a nice change of pace...aint no different than mowing your lawn, the first time or first few hrs is fun, after that it becomes very monotinous.:sleeping Keep your face/name fresh, there have been times when I wish I could recall certain people that contacted me looking for work...seems when you dont need 'em they're always out there, then when you do need'em, is'nt anybody to be found, so keeping in touch is never a bad idea since once in awhile it will make a difference.
My guess on this one, is that the company invested their time to train the previous guy and the way it looks to me is that he never showed an interest (said it was boring) on the loader, so probally never became very good at it. So in the companies point of view...should we go through this again or should we just hire a experienced loader operator? I think they are being very cautious this time. My advice... yes go back and again express a genuine interest in the job and tell them... and this is the hard one...that you are willing to take the training for no pay and if the company feels that you are not making the grade you will walk away with no hard feelings. If you take that approach then they will know that yes you are very serious and eager to try this job. If they accept this and are willing to give you a try then most likely you will get paid as well. Good luck and never give up!
Just make sure you set a date for training to end so they won't be "training" you for 25 years.:laugh
Good point:Banghead How about setting the training for a week or two:thumbsup
I know the guy that was being trained was just feeding a crusher, never loaded any trucks and was basicly left to play around with the loader and getting the hang of it. I know a truck driver that worked for the company years ago hauling sand for them and he told me to keep at them. I've been told that if you can drive a car then you can run a loader, its that easy, hopfully I will find out for my self. As far as training for free, I have thought about it before and would definatly do it.
I'd be willing to bet that somewhere between insurance issues and labor laws it wouldn't be permissible for them to allow you to work, even as a trainee, for free. Now, if they think of that, suggest that you'll work for minimum wage. That should still demonstrate that you're serious.
I must say that I never even thought about insurance and labour laws, thanks for letting me know.
If you want to get into equipment operation a crusher is a great way to start. You can start as a ground man helping around the crusher, then you can move your way up quite quickly. I was a loader operator on crushers for 17 years, great place to learn how to operate loader, no worrying about damage to trucks or getting weights correct, or worrying about grades etc. If you want it bad enough you can acheive it!! Just stay on it, find a company with a good reputation, apply and be unrelenting on your follow up calls and they will get tired and put you to work. Good Luck! There is tons of work here in Alberta for operators. Oh yeah, being a GOOD loader operator is nothing like driving a car. Anyone can drive a loader, a lot fewer can operate one. Just ask any truck driver. Bozo P.S. work your way up to this
can fix you right up 44, might throw in a few pieces of iron with it.
X2 :yup
Come to think of it, a lot of people who drive a car, can't really drive a car.:yup
amen and pass the fried chicken. this is exactly what my grandad told me years ago,and i have heard it many times over the years.
i guess i should have said farm and be able to pay my bills!! lol:laugh besides dont you dry farm in arkansas? i would be totally lost. thanks for the offer though.
Yes 44 we dry farm, poor farm, welfare farm and do what ever it takes to make us believe it is a good thing. Until the last few years, the excavating put the meals on the table.
done a little bit of that welfare farming myself. kida like the nick name they gave me at work though...dirt farmer!!! they say i scratch up dirt to finish a cover job like i was growing it. i take it as a compliment.:thumbsup