Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

getting into the industry

grizzlycan2011 ยท 2014-08-14 22:55

Hey everyone, I live in NW Louisiana and I wanted to ask y'all what the secret is to getting into this field. I got my CDL and enjoy my current job, but I'd love to get into heavy equipment. How do you go about getting into this industry with no experience? Do dirt work or excavation companies ever use part time workers? All the job listings I see are for experienced workers. I'm just trying to figure out how to get some heavy equipment experience. I gotta have experience if I'm ever going to be able to own my own dirt work business.

Replies3
  1. #1clintm2014-08-15 22:26

    in this day and age if you what to work and take pride in what you do you can get a job any where doing any thing experience or not just get in there and do your best (no bitching or whining) and before you know it you will be running it all

  2. #2old-iron-habit2014-08-15 23:17

    Most employers advertise for skilled workers because they don't want the door beat down by no loads. Knock on the door and explain your experience in what you do well now. Be honest that you want to try something else and there is a good chance you will be given a chance. The employer needs to know that you will give it your best. My lifetime experience with employees has taught me that people that have good skills in most any discipline will pick up other skills easily. It really is all about good work ethic. Good luck.

  3. #3grizzlycan20112014-08-26 11:00

    Well I had a very attractive job offer today. Driving a dump truck and backhoe work. He said after a little training he wants me in a dozer and trackhoe so I can drive the dump truck and use heavy equipment. $15 an hour to start 50-60 hours a week. Bad thing is I can't change jobs while my house is being built.