Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Getting new business

BlackDog ยท 2015-02-19 23:33

New to the forum but been running my side business for about 8 years now. I have mainly been working with the same plumbers and contractors doing water service work. I recently have been doing a lot of work with a mason. But lately the work has dried up. I know that there is work out there but I just don't know how to get my name out there. This is sidework so my margins are tight and right now I am a one man show. I want to build my business and would like the work to be more consistent.

Replies6
  1. #1Todd v.2015-02-21 20:15

    Craigslist is good and free, post in the services section. Each post can be renewed every 48 hours. And look for any other free online add services in your area. Also make a website, doesn't have to be fancy but it doesn't hurt to make it look professional and make sure you get it to show up well in searches. Most of my random calls come from the website.

  2. #2hmearth2015-02-22 02:16

    When i started i went and spoke to every builder and contractor in the area on foot and have never looked back

  3. #3oceanobob2015-02-22 07:42

    I have noticed sidework business and regular business are a different sort. As one way to look at this: Possibly may have to re-introduce yourself as you transition from sidework to full time work...or, maybe you will remain doing both your other job and the sidework job(s) as your plan.

  4. #4hmearth2015-02-22 13:30

    Nothin sidewalk about business you do what it takes or sit at home and wait for it to come to you i know whats not going to happen if you sit at home with an add in the paper especially if you are just starting out

  5. #5Hitachi2252015-02-24 16:20

    Go out and meet every contractor, developer, land owner you possibly can . Knock on every ones door and explain why you are the best and why they should hire you . Learn to deal with hearing no a lot, and use it to improve your self. This business is all in who you know so go out and meet everyone!

  6. #6BlackDog2015-02-24 22:18

    Thanks for the replies. Right now the side biz has remain side work until I retire from my main job. I have done the craigslist thing a little bit. Maybe I will try that again and I'll start talking to some contractractors.