We have a JD 310 Backhoe that has a major leak on the main cylinder for the backhoe. We have the rebuild kit for it, but can't seem to get the collar of to be able to pull the cylinder out....if I made any sense there. We cannot find a manual that shows this cylinder or anything on it. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!
What year? 310's had a lot of different variations: straight,A,B,C,D,E,F,G. If you can share a picture that would be helpful too. If you don't know how to post it, email or text it to me, and I can put it up.
Ok. It is a 310A. It is a late 70s-early 80s model. Think either a '77 or '81. We can't keep straight which year it is. The first picture is obviously of the backhoe itself. The second picture is on of the cylinder we are needing to pull off.
I've got similar looking cylinders, just different model. Mine has a top and bottom cap that both have to come out to release the cylinder. On mine they're obvious, your frame is more closed in so it looks like the caps are much harder to access. However, I thought it would be easier, so I removed the gland in place. I'll try to post a pic of the tool I cobbled to remove them. There was an allen head set screw into the side of the threads on the gland, don't try anything till you're sure that's out.
Will this tool work? http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-1266.aspx
Here is a link to one like mine. $40.00 cheaper than the OTC branded one. http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-860...8&qid=1378517610&sr=8-4&keywords=gland+wrench
Here is the improvised tool to remove the gland on mine. The tube (junk driveshaft) I used was aluminum, if it was steel it would have been much easier to make. The design of the newer models has the cylinder more recessed so the other gland wrenches wouldn't reach. My "slots" are also cut at a diagonal so a pin wrench wouldn't work too well, the other style that goes on the outside might work for this one, worth a try. Or measure the outside diameter of your gland and if it's the same, I can send you the tool for postage.
You said that you couldn't find a manual with anything that shows it, have you checked / did you know that JD has most all parts diagrams on line: http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt Here is a screenshot of where you are working: