I have an f450 01 ford.today it rained some. happened to be close enough to it to hear it start cranking on its own did not start but ran the Batts. Dead before I could get the cables loose.swtch was still in off pos.any ideas anyone?
Piece of metal, tool, washer, etc. fall across the solenoid and jump it?
Not likely but could have didn't have chance to check it yet.just made sure it wasn't going to burn
Ah, the old leaking windshield or cab marker lamps dripping water on the GEM, trick. Learned all about that with my Fords in Dutch Harbor. Or, it’s possessed.
That ghost must be getting old by now. 1970 I was operating a Austin Western 220 crane on a job and every morning when I got to work the engine was running and had been for some time. Was accused of not shutting it down at knock off. That dam ghost was getting me in all sorts of strife .
Most likely cause .may be why new batts.are going dead .first time I've caught it
Changing the unbroken windshield in my '00 F-250 cleared the problem of uncommanded electrical engagement (clicking). Neighbor and close friend who runs a glass replacement firm told me that if I didn't replace the windshield that the leakage into the dashboard area would total the truck. I did, and now, no leaks or uncommanded electrical engagement.
Mom played late bingo every night and drove home on the interstate. One night there was a car parked on the left side of the road in the median up ahead. As she approached it, It slowly started rolling out onto the highway and she had to avoid it. Nobody was at the wheel! The semi truck ahead of her gave it just enough of a push with the wind and it was sitting there with no brake engaged. It continued across the highway and ended up in the ditch on the right side of the road where it belonged. She thought damn. I'd have a hell of a time explaining that wreck.
I can recall an old guy from up Northern WA telling me about 20 years ago, how he and a brother were fascinated with the local road building crews operations, moving bulk dirt for a new highway deviation. This was the early to mid '1960's and they were teenagers with farm boy driving skills, and they knew how to operate machinery. So, as all underworked young guys are keen, and this guy and his brother even keener - they thought they'd help the road crew out, and have some fun as well. As soon as the crews were gone at knockoff, they'd jump on the machines and move some more dirt! They apparently did quite a few hours work with the machines each evening, and I seem to recall he said it took the boss some time to work out, what was actually going on!! I guess you would scratch you head a bit when the tractors were still warm next morning and the site looked different to last night when you knocked off!
For sure leaky windshield dripping into gem module under dash drivers side crack it open and try to let it dry out get windshield replaced its a common problem on those fords
Electrical fires can be great, start up shut off, horn honks, lights come on all sorts of things happen.
Tempted to scrap that pos
They are so difficult to replace at the moment. Here’s a 2002 F550 with $17k worth of new 7.3 and the invoices are still stacking up. Probably take two years to get one
Really when you stop and think about all the lame issues with vehicles in the last 25 years It's a wonder bicycle sales haven't gone sky high. It shouldn't be that hard for a manufacture to make a cab that doesn't leak. The V6 Nissan engine from 2002 through 2008 had a great possibility to start drinking oil. The emission system allowed particles from the cat to enter the combustion chamber taking the rings/bore out. Then there's the ford 6L, The late chevy V8 that drops a crank or breaks valve springs, The dodge hemi-loaded with issues. Even cheap cab airbags and recalls. The chevy issue with the ignition key-remember that one. At the price being set for these piles-you could buy a damn nice house some years back. I just can't imagine owning two piles at once.
My wife and I paid 38k for our first house in 2013 . . . I don know if you can get a 2wd gas engine chassis cab for that now . . .
I’m seeing the commercial fleets dumping stupid money into their old light/medium duty rigs to keep them on the road.
Take the government completely out of the equation and you have stuff that lasts for a million miles and get 100 mpg.
Mine does have a good running 7.3 if I could keep the rest of it working would be a good one