I ordered a set of cam bearings for a Cummins big cam I'm building, I find a huge box on my front porch, way bigger and heavier than it should have been. I open the box and here is 7 boxes of cam bearings. I only need 1. Looking at the order it said 7 X 1, the engine takes 7 bearings. Someone in shipping mis read the order and sent 7 complete sets. So I called and told them what happened, that I will remove 1 box they send a return shipping order and I will gladly take them to UPS. * Now I could have just kept them and denied that 7 arrived. But I don't work that way, some poor slob in shipping will probably have gotten their tit in ringer when it was figured out what happened. I figure it was a honest mistake, probably new to the job. Hopefully they keep their job and learn the shipping lingo.
Been there with Special Diet Dog food for our mutt, got 12 cases, charged for 12 cans. Called first then sent remainder back. Only had one time of parts issued more than order, just gave them back no questions and ended up with a better discount rate.
I have that problem with some injection pump parts I buy.. Some come 1 to a pk and some come 2 to a pk, while others come 5 to a pk..and still, some come 10 to a pk.. I have to ask if I can buy singles or do I have to buy a pkg quantity.?? I get fed up with the process, so I end up buying pkg quantities and using them up thru out the year..
Last week, I went to a local parts supplier to buy 10 K-line bronze valve guide inserts. The cylinder head reconditioner had given me an invoice made out to a friend of his, that showed the suppliers part number for the inserts. So I folded the invoice carefully and placed it on the counter with just the part number displayed, and told him I wanted 10 of that part number. The parts interpreter, a keen young guy, said they weren't in stock at the branch, but he'd have them by the following morning at 11:00AM. So around midday the following day, I dropped into the branch to collect the inserts - and they weren't there. There was much confusion over what had happened to the inserts. The young guy said, "Oh, they've been delivered to your premises" (and mentioned a suburb about 15kms away). I said, "That's not my premises, and who did you charge the inserts to? This is a cash over-the-counter sale!" "Oh ....", he replied - with a look dawning on his face, that he'd made a major error. Of course, what he'd done on ordering, when I was distracted, was turn the invoice over, and charge and send the inserts to the name and address on it! We had a bit of a session of calls to organise return and credit of the inserts (the receiver had already called and asked "who ordered these inserts? I didn't!") - but it was all sorted rapidly - the only problem being, I had to wait until the following morning again, for another set of inserts to be sent to the branch I was dealing with!
I ordered a housing gasket/ring for some obsolete Isuzu engine from the 1990s. Came 10 to a pack or something like that. Used one and threw the rest away. Never going to see that engine series again anyway. Good thing the whole bag was only like $10.
Parts for CAV injection pumps are stupid as pumpguy can confirm. You have to buy a whole kit for $75-$100 when all you need are a couple $2 parts from the kit to fix a simple leak.
I know the feeling Ozdozer.!! Parts guys trying to be “helpful”. I worked with a parts guy like that, didn’t matter what u came in for, u weren’t leaving with it until the next day when u brought his part back and got the part u originally came after. U ask that prick what time it was and he’d tell u how to build a watch.!!!!
Dave, u can get those top cover gaskets in “a mini kit” off eBay or Amazon for like 9-12.00.. Just Google CAV top cover leak.
I've had a custom made HVAC duct arrive at my shop I never ordered. I figured someone was waiting for it and called every number I could find on the paperwork that was with it including the shipping company but no one could figure out where the mistake was made. I've had it over a year now and couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. I guess I'm at the point where I can cut it up and use it for repairs.
One place I worked got shipped a pallet of stuff we never ordered from a company we'd never heard of. Somehow the transport company mixed up the documentation and sent the pallet of parts we were waiting for to the US. Bad part was the customer had their truck sitting in the yard, waiting specifically on this pallet because it was needed ASAP way up in the north.
Ordered an electrical pigtail for a trailer brake controller on my pickup from Amazon. Got a box of 20. Went online and tried to return the 19 I didn’t need. Was told I would be responsible for paying the return shipping. No thanks, I didn’t even pay for the original shipping. They sat in my garage for a couple months and then I threw them away. I knew it was the wrong thing to do but I certainly didn’t need them and wasn’t paying to ship them back.
It's still stupid you can't get common individual parts from a CAV dealer. Also I'm in Canada and couldn't find a kit from a Canadian source. I have got some things out of the US but got hosed pretty bad for duty, brokerage and shipping fee's on a couple of them. I will say that after seeing all the little parts in the kit, there is no way I'd ever attempt to rebuild an injection pump by myself. I certainly understand why it costs so much and needs a true craftsman like pumpguy to do anything more than a cover gasket. Thankfully a good friend of mine who's an excellent diesel mechanic fixed it up for me. I'm sure I could have done it but he knew how to get the linkage off and had it done in 5 minutes. Only thing is he had the shut off lever on wrong and it wouldn't shut off. No problem, he flipped it over or something and had that fixed in less than a minute. He had to turn the idle up a little after fixing the leak. I think that has something to do with why it won't go to the slowest idle position when hot unless you really quickly go from 3/4 or more throttle to lowest throttle. It's not a big difference. 900 RPM compared to about 775 RPM.
I was in a tire shop when a delivery driver dropped something off and was gone in an instant. The stuff was for another tire shop kitty corner to this one. It must not have been the 1st time. The shop I was in called the other shop and said their parts were dropped off here. I can see situations where 2 shops don't get along and 1 would take their time letting the other shop know or sending the parts back to the shipper.
The local Cummins part guy was a pain in the ass. Very very knowledgeable but not helpful. Always needed a serial number for common parts he already knew what they were. I know this because one day he couldn't fine the part number on the computer and just went in back and got it. Always smiling while being a prick. One time I get a new younger guy and think oh great a nice guy. He acted the same way. I found out it was his SON.
Lol.!!!! To funny.. I always hated that.. “what’s the serial number”?? Knowing dam well they don’t need it.!!!
Lol.. that’s some PepBoys” questions right there.!!
Local NAPA dealer was like that one guy I worked with would make sure to tell him what color the truck was just on the chance a tan F150 took different brake pads than a red one!
Funny u should mention NAPA.. Last time I did a brake job on my Bronco, I wanted an emergency cable..that loops around the adjuster.. It was a low cost item, like 2.00.. I get to the point that it goes in, and I opened the little box and there’s 5 of’m in there.!! Naturally I got done w the BJ and took’m back..(not)
Guy's like that are really annoying. It's like they're testing you. They are but might not realize they're testing your patience in trying to keep from telling them where to go or popping them in the nose. If you know what the customer needs just get it for them. If there's more than 1 show them to the customer or a picture of the different options. If a serial number is required then politely explain why it's needed. No need to be arrogant towards your customers. Maybe it's a Cummins thing??? I read on here that other Cummins dealers won't even look for something without a serial number. I'll have to ask a guy I know that rides at my track who's a Cummins service manager in Ft. Mac.
I would have a hard time entering a store that's named PepBoys, It's bad enough going to Home Depot pushing a grocery cart to but lumber.
A lot of times I've noticed the sales people in Home Depot trying to vanish when they see you looking for something. There have been a few that were helpful though. What really irritates me is sales people that have no idea what they sell. I don't know if it's their fault or because of really poor training. Maybe a combination of the 2. Some of the worst will tell you an aisle to look in that's a ways away just to get rid of you. Basically a wild goose chase.
Lowes is No Better
Dave, all that serial number is BS with Perkins. Want a set of sleeves? Take it apart to find out what's in it, the serial numbers are useless. Joe H
You think Home Depot is bad you should go to Menards ....
I agree never any sales help now self checkout hope Menards run them out of business.
The nearby Rona is great. Lots of attractive women working there.
How I walk into Lowe’s or Home Depot
I liked that show.!!! Ron was great.!!
You could have ducked over and picked them up, reminise about the good times you had at that shop.
Home Depot opens at 6:00 am. and I'm gone by 6:10.