Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Give your opinion on this Dozer D8H

macecase ยท 2021-12-04 13:06

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...Caterpillar-D8H-Crawlers-Crawler_Dozer-Kansas I need to build a 6-acre pond. I have an operator that will do the parts that require skill but I thought I'd buy the dozer and then resell it once the pond is done and a few other projects. So, I want to get in and get out... not own it for 10 years. I'd be very interested in what more experienced eyes than mine see in this machine. Anything glaring or gaping that would cause it to not perform or be in need of a repair soon? I talked with the owner and he said it is a good old dozer. Works as it should for what it is. He started rattling off what he had done to it over the years. He owned it for 10 years and said he put about 500 hours on it himself. Nothing was major and included things like a water pump but did replace rollers, etc. Thank you in advance!

Replies8
  1. #1macecase2021-12-04 13:15

    See auction for all of the images. But, here are a few.

  2. #2dozer7772021-12-05 09:01

    la traction est finis sur led8h les rouleaux vont vers les pads pas bon signe etc

  3. #3Dave Neubert2021-12-05 09:17

    Undercarrage looks a little weak about $ 50.000.00 to replace I have heard this story so many times I will buy it and sell when done then you have a major break down and you have a giant pile of scrap metal. I would just pay someone to build your pond especially since you have not been around heavy equipment

  4. #4MattR2021-12-05 09:38

    I'll agree thats the best way to go. Like you said, a person can find themselves upside down with an old track of purchase real fast. I'm going through it right now with a couple

  5. #556wrench2021-12-05 10:08

    If you can't fix it yourself when it breaks down, don't touch it. Parts for these are expensive, heavy and require tools and knowledge. A 6 acre pond is a lot of dirt to move depending on the depth required and it will be all pushing it up a slope the deeper you go. Just fuel alone will be expensive. That machine will burn 12 to 18 gallons per hour. For a pond that size, in my opinion, find someone with a twin engine motorscraper and a small dozer to build it.

  6. #6DMiller2021-12-05 16:52

    As noted rail faces are slim to none left, rollers did not look so pretty and segments pointed like saw blades. Sure has grousers on shoes but that will not take care of the previous. Without seeing it up front and personal would have to drop a LIGHT bid to that knowing $25-40K If I did the UC myself. Chain Rails, All shoe bolts ALL Rollers Idlers and Segments, no idea of the leaks on this.

  7. #7macecase2021-12-06 09:25

    I have to say that I appreciate your comments. I didn't hear anybody say it could be a good buy or a good way to go. So, looks like I should pass on this. Thank you!!

  8. #8Old Doug2021-12-06 09:48

    If it was a easy pond, you could use it for a day,have a good mechanic look it over, and buy it dirt cheap. I had a chance to buy a D7 for $3000.00 i need to clear some trees and i have worked on them alot but i thought there was a better way to get my job done. If i could have got the 7 for $2000.00 i could have scraped it but i would have had a hard time doing that.