Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gland Seals

Xtreme · 2021-01-30 21:23

Had a slow leak in one of my stabilizer cylinders and decided to put new rod seals in. When i stared to take it apart it was apparent the leak was from around the gland itself. Seems the seals were all dry rotted and actually fell apart when removed. I want to order some new seals but cant figure out on the diagram what part numbers correspond to what seals or spacers. can anyone point out which seals on the diagram is the ones i need. Its came off a John Deere 510C.

Replies14
  1. #1Delmer2021-01-30 23:14

    BK and RK at the very bottom of the page are everything you need. All of the parts have that (RK) or (BK) in the far right column. If you don't like the JD price, cross reference those kits with hercules or bulldog. Smooth out the ridge that forms where the wire ring rides in the bore of the cylinder so it doesn't mess up the new seals going in.

  2. #2jimg9842021-01-30 23:16

    order the whole rebuild kit, do other side, its ready to give trouble, hercules has good seal kits

  3. #3Xtreme2021-01-31 07:04

    Isn’t Bk the parts for the cylinder bore (movable piston) ? I’m looking for the o ring or seals for the stationary gland( 10 in the diagram). Needs the seals that fit in this grove. I’m thinking it 8 on the diagram. And yes I’m going to do the full rebuild on the cylinder but I already have the kits and these seals didn’t come in them.

  4. #4Vetech632021-01-31 07:30

    BK = Bore kit. You should really get both kits which will be all the seals for 1 cylinder assembly. I believe 11 and 12 are the perimeter oring and back up ring for your gland.

  5. #5T-town2021-01-31 08:47

    Hey Xtreme.... Where on "The Rock " are you from??

  6. #6Midnightmoon2021-01-31 09:13

    Its odd 11 isnt in the bore kit

  7. #7NH575E2021-01-31 09:31

    Looks like 11 is the gland o-ring. 12 is probably the part that remains in your groove. I 15 is the wiper seal. 11 will just be an o-ring so you could substitute for any oil resistant o-ring that'll fit. I had a gland 0-ring leaking on a crowd cylinder once. I had some green o-rings that cam in a Mazda 3 oil filter laying around that were too small but stretchable. I stretched two of those in the groove with no backer and they sealed fine up to the point the rod seals went.

  8. #8Delmer2021-01-31 10:19

    yes, you're right, I wasn't paying attention well enough. 11 and 12 are what you want, but then it seems like 8 and 6 should go in the same place on the piston? what does your piston look like? figured it out, 6 is the rod kit so it goes inside the gland or piston. The bore kit is universal for all cylinders of that bore, and the rod kit is universal for all cylinders of that style of that bore. That's why there is not one cylinder kit for that cylinder, and helps figure out where they go on paper. 11 should still be included unless they assume O rings should be in stock?

  9. #9Xtreme2021-02-05 21:00

    Old Perlican

  10. #10Xtreme2021-02-05 21:02

    Thanks Guys. Yes it was 11 and 12. Pick them up to John Deere and the cylinder is now leak free.

  11. #11T-town2021-02-05 21:27

    Leak free is good!! I'm waiting on several to get re-packed after leaking @ the end of the season. My wife grew up in Buchans.... and her family is from the Exploits area.... and are spread now around the Island.

  12. #12Xtreme2021-02-05 21:50

    That’s awesome. I have family back in central NL too.

  13. #13T-town2021-02-06 10:36

    It is a small world as they say..... and a 'small' Island, with some truly beautiful wide open spaces. I highly recommend anyone to include a visit. Though I have not been up the peninsula where your at, I would love to get back on the rock for an extended visit. Can't happen soon enough!! ... to quote the late Jerry Jeff...... "the friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen" McLean is the family name.. 'Weber's Byte' is the original spot I think...

  14. #14T-town2021-02-06 14:24

    Got the spelling wrong... Webber's Bight..... 'round Fortune Harbor. And her family name is Byrne..... My mother in law comes from a big family of Byrnes