Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GM 6.2l diesel Al radiator replacement

mbavers ยท 2024-04-20 12:15

Old military pickup truck with GM 6.2L diesel. Thinking of replacing radiator with aluminum. If I do, what type anti freeze do I use. I've spent so much time reading all the info (some of it conflicting) that my brain hurts. Does anyone know for certain what in heck difference between pink, yellow, red, whatever?? I guess I won't be able to use good old green anymore.

Replies5
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2024-04-20 13:09

    Any ELC will do you good. Or you can run green and add WIXCool (#24056) and check with test strips. Been running my old 6.9idi like that for a lot of years with no issues, but I do still have the original radiator.

  2. #2Delmer2024-04-20 16:45

    As far as I can tell, an OAT, or HOAT or NOAT is best for aluminum radiators, and the old SCA is still a good choice for copper radiators. To be safe, read the MSDS to be sure whatever you choose does not contain 2EH- 2ethylhexanoic acid on the possibility that engine contains silicone gaskets that can be damaged by 2EH.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2024-04-20 18:02

    Cat EC-1 is the spec for the common deep red ELC that goes in most everything these days. Final Charge is what the local place here stocks. You can get it in concentrate much cheaper than the 50% they seem to want to push.

  4. #4stourpaine2024-04-20 18:33

    yes its good stuff and like you say buy the concentrate......why pay for water!

  5. #5Tyler d4c2024-04-20 18:36

    I swear the final charge and the cat stuff is the same. Both taste like cherry kool aid