Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GM Peeling White Paint Cheap Rattle Can?

Birken Vogt · 2024-08-24 14:31

I have a white GM 2006, paint is peeling showing gray underneath, like all of them. Body has dings so no point in going whole hog, I just want to pressure wash and respray as needed to look OK from a distance. What I am most concerned about is finding the correct rattle can that matches the shade and gloss of the OE paint.

Replies11
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-08-24 14:54

    Napa can mix automotive paint in a spray can to match paint code, I used some when I built the tow truck on steps. It's lasted fairly well, I have some spots on my 2006 ranger that I will have them mix some. It's a bronze color so I'm better off to get a closer match that way.

  2. #2cosmaar12024-08-25 17:16

    They used to have the paint code inside the glove box. Not sure if it’s still there but that would tell you, Napa, or a paint store all the info they need to match it.

  3. #3Joe H2024-08-25 19:58

    And a quart of Rustoleum from HD & you're good to go. Those custom mix spray cans a pretty pricey. Joe H

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-08-25 20:28

    Yeah got to be cheap ----most important.

  5. #5Jonas3022024-08-25 21:02

    you can have paint mixed off the code or shot with camera and put in a rattle can at Napa im sure other places too that mix paint and sell to body shops

  6. #6Birken Vogt2024-08-25 22:52

    This white GM color is so common, I guess I figured some company would have it as a stock color. But now I am looking and not quite that easy. I should be able to figure it out.

  7. #7chidog2024-08-26 02:09

    Auto paint great topic. Reason it all peals off is in simple terms its just like latex house paint that has been used for decades now from the factory. Yeah all water colors almost like kids coloring book paints, but with resin. People can poo poo something like rustoleum, but if used with a catalysis, it would be 100's times better base coat than water colors that are non catalyzed paint and by all the paint pealing problems that happen they just don't stick good. If you want tough use a good 2K clear over it just like they do over the water colors. I guess some tractor paints maybe better than rustoleum though. If your just spotting a bad area, do like Truck Shop says, also auto paint outfits can do the same, and its usually a good 2 part paint.

  8. #8crane operator2024-08-26 22:23

    I've got a white GM 2009 that had a GPS or something above the windshield, passenger side. It had eaten the paint up under it. When we bought it, I just had the guys mask it off, sanded away the rust, and had the rattle can made up. You can pretty easily see it. But it looks better than a big paint missing spot. I'll get a picture of it. If you don't want to mess with the paint store, you can buy aftermarket paints online. But being in Cali., I don't know if you can have it shipped to you. https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-Olympic-General-Exact-Match-Automotive/dp/B07G2KVG7V

  9. #9Coaldust2024-08-26 23:40

    All the cool kids are into the “patina” nowadays, with their old pickups. Or, they vinyl wrap patina if the rig is new. Scrub some of the primer off and let it rust. Then, rub it down with Boiled linseed oil.

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-08-27 03:01

    There was a period where most GM vehicles paint was peeling and fading but I think it was in the 90's. I think was when the went away from lead in the paint. Speaking of fading, repainting even with the correct paint code might stand out because it is fresh and not faded. I don't know if I'd trust Duplicolor to be a match. A body shop supply or even better a good body shop would be the best bet for matching the colour. If you have a compressor and a spray gun would be the best way to apply it. A body shop could mix a pint or so for you. Was watching Bitchn' Rides and the shop had the most extensive paint colour system in the state. Thousands and thousands of different paint shades to choose from and they could also make their own custom shades to match what ever they wanted.

  11. #11crane operator2024-08-27 18:25

    Roof patch, about a year old now. It ain't pretty, but it isn't a rust patch either.