Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 404D engine from generator is in my Terex PT60!

APB2350 · 2024-08-23 23:42

I picked up a 2010 Terex skid steer at auction for a pretty good price with the full understanding it was underpowered but it runs OK and works for my needs on my small acreage. However, I am thinking of selling it and I can't imagine anyone else would be happy with it as it's way underpowered and won't go above 1700 RPM. Of course, I don't have any contact with the previous owner as it was from an auction but my sleuthing has revealed the following: it's a 4-cylinder Perkins 404D engine. The engine badge reveals the Perkins engine family as 4H3XL2 22L84 and it also has a line on the badge that advertises HP32/1700 and Power 23KW at 1700 RPM. I'm no mechanic but I'm assuming this is an engine from a generator that produces 32 HP at 1700 Is there any advice on what I can do to, if anything, to increase the power? Is it possible to install the after-market 404D Turbo kit? Any advice would be of great help as I live in a very rural area and don't have local access to diesel mechanics. Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1Birken Vogt2024-08-24 00:09

    Generators run 1800 RPM and nothing else. 1700 RPM is a strange speed. You would think a little engine like that would run a lot more RPM where they are not locked to a specific 1800.

  2. #2reganj2024-08-24 21:23

    I will ask a stupid question, is the engine original or has it been replaced?

  3. #3APB23502024-08-24 22:14

    The engine was replaced. there are some service stickers on the frame and it looks like it was owned by a rental company. My guess is the the engine blew up and they threw in anything that fit and shipped it off to auction. The engine is supposed to be a 404D-22T. The 404 is a very popular Perkins engine used in all sorts of equipment, including generators, which is where I think mine came from.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2024-08-25 00:53

    There is a hi and low idle screws.. have someone move the throttle and have a look at what it hits.. U can back the screw OUT to 2000 rpm’s.. There is also an external fuel screw.. it’ll have a tamper proof cap on it.. The cap is easily defeated with a small Dremel and cut off wheel.. Once u gain access to the adjuster, screw it OUT 1 full turn and see how it acts.. Increasing the fuel WILL also raise the rpm’s.. so if u raised the rpm’s FIRST.. you’ll probably have to turn it down, after raising the fuel..