Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GMC brigadier 6v92???

changexlt ยท 2009-08-18 07:15

Looking at buying one of two, between a 79 and a 83 while the 79 showed 500,xxx miles and the 83 showed 113,xxx miles. Looking for good bad, etc.

Replies3
  1. #1OCR2009-08-18 18:03

    Here's a couple links, changexlt. One for the truck... which doesn't give much information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Brigadier One for the engine... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_92 OCR

  2. #2Steve Frazier2009-08-18 21:44

    The 6V92 I used to drive in a White Road Commode had 300 horsepower and actually surprised me compared to the 71 Series, it has a lot more low end torque than the old 71s. I don't know if it's the turbo or bigger displacement, but it would keep up decently with the Cummins powered trucks, they were 300 hp too. Being it was a Detroit, I used to thrash that engine and it never missed a beat, it actually sounded a lot smoother than the Cummins sixes. Most of the trucks had upwards of 700,000 miles and I can't recall ever seeing those trucks in the shop with the engine torn down.

  3. #3celticcrusader2009-08-25 21:43

    define DDA , the most effecent way to turn fuel into noise!