I'm currently looking at a couple well used grove gmk3050 20,000 hours. Anybody have any experience with these? I fear stuff like brakes are just to much money to justify the cost and I should just get a 38 ton boomtruck or a tms750. Those all terain features sure are tempting though
The Grove GMK rigs are pretty cool . My only fear would be the maintenance on the machine with it's complex suspension & driveline . It's not like you just pull in to the local NAPA store & say " I need a strut assembly for my Grove GMK 3050 " . Nice looking rig . http://www.manitowoccranes.com/en/cranes/grove/grove-products/all-terrain/GMK3050-1 Worked around some GMK's and was impressed with there ability to move & maneuver around on job sites . At the same time I questioned myself if the site was run properly with dirt moving equipment & stone trucks on hand would not need all the extra options of the GMK ? Don't know what the correct answer is ? Until then I will keep running my truck rigs .:beatsme
I put less than 2,000 miles on my crane a year. I do trees and all my work is local. The ability to get into tight driveways and set up in such a small footprint is ideal. And with 125 of main and a hydraulic off suitable jib the only thing better would be a Chinook. Lol but yes the mega Trac scares the craps out of me
No doubt about it stumper120 , I imagine the Grove GMK 3050 could damn near turn on a dime & give ya back 10 cents in change http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/11461891/2003-grove-gmk3050 That's half the battle in the mobile crane service at times . How to get the crane in to the lift position & how to get out easy ? Some sites are sideling & need leveled up , wet & muddy & so on . Only GMK's I've worked around are 5240 Gove rigs . Pretty good size hog . I am always impressed with it's agility for the size machine . Most of the time have no issues with the site and others we end up building a pad / causeway for the machine to set up on . Many times send a machine ahead of the crane to prep a site if need be . Last photo can even see paint on the stone we used to guide the old TM 250 in on a set .
Those AT's are nice. But they are a pain. That crane comes with 24k counterweight. I think you can haul half on the crane but that puts you around 75k on 3 axles. Also at 9'8" wide here in Indiana that's a call to the DOT for a permit everytime you wAnt to move it. An AT is just a lot more work then a truck crane. But there are a heck of a lot nicer once you get to the job site. There's twice as many parts on them too. I would like to have one but our next crane will probably a tms700. The truck crane is just a lot more practical. Not telling you what to do but just want you to know the pros and cons of both.
According to the specs in their brochure the GMK3050 is 8'4"
It may be. I was thinking the gmks were 9'8". I still think you would have to permit every move due to the weight. Either it's gonna be superior onsite but getting it there will be a way bigger headache. Like everything else there's a trade off.
The gmk3050A is 9'5" wide. https://www.manitowoccranes.com/~/m...duct Guides/GMK3050A-Product-Guide-Metric.pdf Td pulled the specs on the gmk3050-1. It's narrower and also has the 141' boom instead of the 125'. And a fair bit more moola.�� I think it's pretty much the same as there gmk3055
My mistake guy's , I linked to the new model 3050-1 like Kepptune mentioned . stumper120 is looking at the older 3050 . Was mostly curious what it looked like . I always thought the early generation AT models looked cool . 22 ton rig looks like it could hold it's own on or off road . http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/10951399/1988-grove-at422 50 ton http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/11040927/1995-grove-at700b
I wouldn't apologize. I always enjoy your input. Like I say we'll probably be looking at one those TMS700's for our next crane once we're ready for that. We need something to fill the gap from the 30T to the 110t.
I wish there were some tms700/750b units out my way. There all down south. I'm dead set on nothing less than 110 main. That gmk at shawmut was one of the units I looked at. I think between the megatrac suspension and the costly to fix Mercedes I will keep looking. To bad there aren't and demag terex city cranes stateside. Ac60 160' of main and just as nimble as a at
I'm sure terex would be happy to import one for you. Lol Have you looked at a tms870. Not much if any bigger ground footprint then a tms700 but they had a 138' boom. http://m.machinerytrader.com/ListingDetail/Index?industryName=MAT&listingId=10508029&categoryId=1016
Few pictures of the running gear on a GMK 5240 to illustrate to what we are talking about for other members. HeavyEquipmentForums Allows tight turns , crab steering to walk sideways in to position , manipulate suspension level . Pretty cool stuff ! Down side is an extra maintenance expense when the machine gets some hours on it with all the additional moving parts verses a standard truck rig . It's a trade off for an owner operator depending on customers needs . Myself running truck rigs it's pretty common to hop in the car or pickup & scope out a job beforehand to note any problems with site or extra rigging we might need unless working in familiar territory .
Found an old Grove Brochure from 1990 . Looks like a AT 700B at the bottom on the front page . Could vision job sites where it would be handy .:thumbsup