I was woundering as i have never had to before but is a cube van required to go thru when they are open I'm talking about a a 10-14K lb gvw van type truck with the box in the back. Or is it more for 25K gvw and up trucks?
I dont know about that...but a friend of mine got a DUI going through a weigh station in his VW Rabbit :drinkup :drinkup :lmao :lmao
Here you have to go thru the weihg station with that truck ,we used to get away with that years a go ,but not anymore.
I believe all commmercial vehicles. So if your pick up has commercial plates you should stop , but i think most people dont.
Here the signs say that everything over 5T GVW must stop. But that assumes that: A) The driver knows what the trucks GVW is and B) they know how many lbs are in a ton I guess it's asking too much cause most of the cubes that I see under about 18k blow on by. I have never seen one get chased down.
Depends on what state our in.
The weigh scales are mainly interested in semis or heavy trucks for us its anything over 12,000lbs but most guys in F-450 F-550 or 4500 5500 sized trucks don't stop. Only once I heard of a DOT officer chase you they have enough on their plate dealing with the EI drivers driving trucks with photo copied drivers licenses and shoddy trucks.
DOT regs apply to all trucks over 10,000 lbs GVWR as mentioned, so yes, you'd be required to stop. Most likely they'd wave you through, but I wouldn't risk passing the scale.
One thing I was told never argue if you argue then they start looking for something it was true. I got pulled over by the DOT I agreed with what they said all they found was a burn't out tail light which I told the guy I knew was out. The big thing here with the DOT is emergency brake it has to work and hold if it doesn't work or hold thats a license to steal. They end up saying please pull ahead sir and wait then they start probing at your truck trying to find everything wrong. I have seen guys argue with the DOT inspectors got them pizzed off so they find everything they can you end up with 100 pages of fines. Its like you stupid idiot you deserve what you got.
you just be nice to the nice DOT man they can and will pick a truck apart and they enter it into a computer so once they nail you they all know about you in the state all it takes is to enter your plate number as your rolling onto the scale
Depends. In northern Il.(Chicago area) anything smaller than a 22' box truck can go by w/o getting messed with and would most likely get the bypass. HOWEVER, you go points south (Springfield, St. Louis area, Bloomington, etc..) that is probably not the case. Chi area has way too much truck traffic to contend with to try to nail the little guy. Coincidently, back in '96, I delivered an electron microscope to Kansas State in a 24' single axle box, and got stopped empty on I-70, and nailed for not having proper trip permits (we didn't go to KS, so our cab card didn't cover there) and was ticketed.
Welcome to HEF terryk4675! :drinkup