Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

big cheap lowboy tractor

dayexco ยท 2007-02-02 11:42

any of you guys on the east coast looking for an inexpensive lowboy tractor, here you go! look at the odometer reading on the ole girl http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=1104661

Replies13
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-02-02 14:34

    It sure looks like a nice setup, but they list the max gross at 85,000. I wonder if that's just the gross on the tractor or the total combo weight? It says it cost $75K in 1976. Many of these trucks don't meet DOT requirements and can't be registered for highway use. A lot of them end up in the oil exploration industry where they travel off road all the time. It's unfortunate because it would open a much bigger market for them if they could be used on highway.

  2. #2Ford LT-90002007-02-02 14:56

    Where is the logger from Oregon I forgot his name but he has the site that shows all his equipment that his familly used. He would snap that truck up if the price was right. The oil fields in Alberta would buy that truck in a shot you need 6 wheeldrive for the muskeg and extremely soft ground. If it was a on a job it would be paid off in a month.

  3. #3Orchard Ex2007-02-02 15:07

    I was wondering about the max weight too. Could it be the "Combat Load" or whatever it is called? Like when TACOM classifies a "5 Ton" truck it means it will carry a 5 ton load anywhere the truck is designed to go, but on good roads it will carry much more. Some of the veterans here know much more about that than me. But if that's the case that thing must be a real beast!:thumbsup

  4. #4King of Obsolete2007-02-02 16:16

    right here http://www.vannattabros.com/truck.html thansk

  5. #5littledenny2007-02-02 17:40

    What you guys are looking at was the Army's interim tank transporter back in the early 80's. Worked pretty well for the old M-60's but wasn't capable of moving the then new M-1 tanks, which added something like 10 tons to the mix. Still, that was one pretty stout truck, and pulled one pretty ugly trailer.

  6. #6Countryboy2007-02-02 20:52

    BATTERY QUANTITY - 4 WHEEL QUANTITY - 8 DRIVE WHEEL QUANTITY - 6 PRIME MOVER TYPE - DIESEL ENGINE BATTERY VOLTAGE RATING IN VOLTS - 12.0 MAXIMUM LOAD RATING - 45000.0 POUNDS SEATING CAPACITY - 3 FEATURES PROVIDED - HEAVY DUTY COOLING SYSTEM AND POWER STEERING FIFTH WHEEL TYPE - LOWER FIFTH WHEEL COUPLER TRAILER BRAKE CONNECTION TYPE - AIR DRIVE AXLE LOCATION - FRONT AND REAR REAR WHEEL MOUNTING TYPE - DUAL MULTIFUEL DESIGN FEATURE - NOT INCLUDED WINCH LOCATION - BEHIND CAB WINCH LOCATION - BEHIND CAB WINCH TYPE - SINGLE DRUM WINCH TYPE - SINGLE DRUM CAB TYPE - CONVENTIONAL CAB ROOF TYPE - CLOSED BRAKE ACTUATION METHOD - AIR VEHICLE MAXIMUM GROSS WEIGHT - 85000.00 POUNDS CAB DOOR QUANTITY - 2 MANUFACTURERS CODE - 19207 DESIGN CONTROL REFERENCE - XM911 Here's the specs off that same site. The max load rating and the max gross weight are in bold. Sorry its in all caps, I copied and pasted.

  7. #7Ford LT-90002007-02-02 21:00

    The most valuableness is it is 6 wheel drive and has the winches so you could put gin poles or A frame on the truck.

  8. #8RonG2007-02-03 06:43

    Thanks for that Vannatta link,I have not been there in a while and I see that that particular page has been updated since I was last logged on there. I loved that 10 ton tractor,when I was in the army('60~'63) it was gas powered with a big LeRoi V8,having an exhaust pipe behind the cab on each side blowing straight out horizontally with a deflector on the end of the pipe. I drove the 5 ton version pulling the lowbed the last year I was in Germany while I was breaking in a new dozer operator to take my place when I left. It seems as though Vannatta also had that Oshkosh after they retired the 10 ton,I will have to read about it again when I can find the time.Ron G

  9. #9thejdman042007-02-03 16:12

    Yeah theya re too wide and not dot compliant. Have seen a few when moving sections of stadium roof (for teh brewers stadium) on the road though under permit. Theyd be awfully slow

  10. #10Ford LT-90002007-02-03 17:01

    I don't think those tires can take high speed so that prolly limits the speed plus they are most likely geared with 8:1 axle ratio. Even if you took all that winches and stuff off and mounted a crane on the truck it would be good for offroad lifting jobs. Lots of possibities if you get it for the right price but if they are wanting 50,000 for them forget it.

  11. #11wrenchbender2007-02-03 17:32

    Slow ain't a problem as long as it's moving. I buy a few items from time to time from G.L. but I bid on a lot more than I get.Although I try to only bid on stuff in S.C., Ga. & N.C. I do a little hauling for another guy that buys a lot of this surplus.

  12. #12wrenchbender2007-02-03 17:37

    It's all on the auction block some are sealed bid others are open bid never know what it'll bring starting bid on most stuff is $50.00

  13. #13Duke2007-02-16 18:06

    I like this one for everyday OTR use: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=180079000176&rd=1,1