Found a good looking Case 580 super k 1997 that I'm gonna go look at tomorrow. It has a bit under 6k hrs. 4x4 and extendahoe. Almost my wet dream backhoe! lol (was hoping to pick up a phase 1 580k). I can purchase the thing for 11k from the guy, which seems like a GREAT deal. He sent me vid of it running. engaging 4x4. and doing a bit of work. Some issues with the machine are: floor board kinda rusted and needs patched, swing cylinder or either the hose going to the swing cylinder is shot and he said he removed the hose and capped it off or something like that so we cant operate the swing at the moment. Also a couple cylinders that have a good leak. Dripping I guess when operational. These issues seem kinda minor. I'm a noob with these things. I have done a lot of reasearch so far and feel like I have myself a plan on checking the backhoe out. 1. operate it for at least 20 min moving some dirt to load test. 2. make sure 4x4 engages and dis engages properly 3. check engine oil, hydraulic oil, and coolant for levels and what they look like. 4. Check blow by? Best way to quickly do that with a 4bt cummins in these machines? 5. is there a way to check transmission oil for color and quality? 6. Check tightness of the machine and bushings aren't worn too bad. What else should I be looking for? Anything in particular for the 1997 case 580 super K? Thanks. guys.
For 11k you should not be too picky, but if you can pull it off more power to ya! What happened to your other thread and ford rig you were checking out?
I doubt that 580 is a K at all if it's a 97
never made 580k or sk in 1997
1994 last year made and hours dont seem right hours easy to fake on those machines
Hours dont seem right? Its like 5900 hrs which is about average for machines ive seen so far in this age range. maybe he is mistaken on the year... it def looks like a 580 super k... The ford 750 i never got running, and the guy was holding at $3500 on it so far. Its just kinda rough. Idk. I feel like i still want it, but i also would rather just pay more and have a much more usable machine with 4x4 and extendahoe... well see
Some photos. well the other photos i got are failing to upload cuz the file is too big so just these two will have to do
Be sure to check it COLD.. not started and warmed up.. Just to watch the starting procedure and make sure it’s not a “bottle baby”.. (ether) AND to check the transmission movement while cold.. 99% of the 580 series have to be “warmed up” before they’ll even move.. Blowby can be checked easy enough.. remove the oil fill cap and the dipstick and there’s a blow-by tube coming off the valve cover & running down the side of the engine.. Good luck, I hope it works out for ya.
not a super k no turbo with that much rust and the other problems i would pass if he cant have it all running when he is trying to sell it what else is wrong machine is at least 25 years old and at 5900 hours it only worked something like 250 hours a year not likely on old machines dont pay attention to hour meters they mean nothing look at the shape of the machine 580k are bad for broken frames as they held the fuel and hydraulic oil
There we go. Cropped the rest of the photos
I'm surprised the driver door isn't rusted up, floor boards and door always rusted on them K's. Funny how the earlier E's that didn't happen. Usually happened to the machines that were from cold states that use salt for roads. I made new floor boards and used wire mesh and body filler for fenders and fiber glass fabric and gell for door.
You better put floor panels in that thing or your going to fall through the floor while driving and your dream backhoe is going to run right over you!
Hahah ya dont want to fall through the floor hahaa sheet metal floor boards wont be hard or too costly to repair. crossing my fingers there are no surprises today
Look at the frame behind the drivers side back wheel for a crack and the other place the tank may have a crack is behind the engine I've been told. The one that can occur behind the back wheel I've repaired on one I owned.
Easy to tell, what's the serial number on the machine?
Ya just got done a few min ago checking the thing out. Im gonna buy it. Not perfect, but for 11k i think this is a good deal for sure. Most things seems to operate just fine. It was hard to run it too long as it had a real bad cylinder leak on the loader so the fluid level was dropping. Two new hoses and three cylinders need re packed and it will be ready to do the work i need...
That ROPS serial number in the photo is not the VIN number. Keep us posted on the purchase progress. Here is a link to an interesting thread about 580K serial numbers. HeavyEquipmentForums
That's a great machine at that price. I would have bought one like that a couple months ago happily but then the dude backed out. Shouldn't be difficult to get it running properly and then you begin your journey of keeping a clunky old backhoe running. Some like hotrods, some like Harleys, some like monster trucks, and some dedicate themselves to old yellow dinosaurs. 4x4 is very important
I bought it it’s mine so excited only problem is the serial number below the left door isn’t legible. First thing first I need to buy a service manual but what service manual do I buy if I don’t know the Vin number?
I was kind of surprised too it has air-conditioning but somebody cut the hose
Shine the vin tag up with some fine grade steel wool. Then take a pencil and lightly turn the tag black with it. The letters and numbers may appear.
Carefully read Mitch's post #2. Here ----> HeavyEquipmentForums
Go get some PAINT/GASKET remover in a spray can.. It works great.. Spray it on and wipe it off.. Congratulations on your new toy..
Best of luck with the new toy!!!. Happy Tractoring!!
Sounds good. Thanks for that Link. Ya looks like the Service manual isn't vin specific. I see them listed for the "super K".
The parts manual is vin specific if you do in fact have 580K. There are numerous vendors selling 580K service manuals.
Just priced some cylinder kits and there over $100 dollars each lol. The guy said last year they were like $50 dollars.
Before you pay that much, call Dale Weiss If you have time read about his history with JI Case. http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/
Nice Purchase, with some TLC that should be a good machine For your cylinder rebuild kits try Coleman Equipment. Even though their website says that they are Kubota they sell case construction equipment hydraulic cylinder rebuild kits. I just got lift arm cylinder kits for my 1845C Uniloader from them and they were 1/2 the price that the case dealer wanted. The parts guy said that even though they don't sell case OEM parts anymore they still sell hydraulic cylinder rebuild kits for case machines.
I have been in the position of not being able to get kits that were out of stock due to this pandemic....Supply and demand, so the price is up...Sucks, but we need the parts!
Thanks for the Suggestion of Colemand equip. They don't have the seal kits i need and they only have a few left anyway cuz they got dropped as a dealer by case. Guess case wanted them to start carrying the big machines and it wasn't financially feasable for them as a small family owned business.. If anyone has suggestions of a good source online for seal kits let me know. I'm not opposed to aftermarket if the brand is good quality.
Dale Weiss has sold me quite a few Bulldog kits.
If the machine says Case on it and Dale can't find parts then the zombie apocalypse must surely be upon us...Listen to Tinkerer and call Tractorstuff 800-428-8183..If parts are in stock they'll usually be to your place in 4 days or less ..
Done, gonna order my seal kits from Tractorstuff on monday. Seems like the place to go for any parts I'll need in the future... Gonna base line this thing with all new fluids and filters, and I'm expecting to spend some coin, but F word, some of the Case brand hydraulic oil sounds expensive! Didnt even ask the case dealer yet, but the Case hy-Trans plus/ultra people are saying is like 80 plus a five gallon bucket! I'm cool spending the coin on the transaxle as I'll need about 47 qts. for the change with filter, but the hydrailic oil reservor is like 21 gallons! The previous owner was using tractor supply all purpose I think he said. So this is gonna cost me to use the hy-trans ultra in the hydraulic reseravor. Worth the cost? I might have to wait a few weeks and continue using some tractor supply stuff temporarly if so.. I read the Case TCH fluid was no longer avail, and in another thread people are saying the hy-trans is the replacement. What are you all putting in your 580 backhoes? I'm thinking a cheaper alternative for the hydraulic reseravor and the hy-trans for the transmission... Thanks.
$80 for a 5 gallon pail sounds cheap to me. Last time I bought hydraulic oil for my Cat it was just around $200 a pail. Perspective, I guess.
I'm just new to all this stuff, so if thats the way it is then I'll just go buy the **** lol. But while I got a few leaking cylinders, I'm gonna keep using the cheap stuff in the hydraulic tank. Maybe switch over to the hy-tran in the hydraulic tank when most leaks and what not are sorted out.
Oil is even more expensive here in Costa Rica. I'd put the correct oil in your reverser and transaxle (are they separate or integrated on that one?) cuz both of those have friction discs and wet brakes and wierd stuff that has to have friction even though it's bathed in oil. Those hy tran and hygard and other tractor fluid oils allow for that. Kinda like atf except NOT atf, apparently that screws everything up I've heard. As for the hydraulic reservoirs we all use generic iso 68 hydraulic oil around here. Costs way less and it's for use in hydraulic systems. You can use 10wt hydraulic also if what's in there seems thinner but we use the thicker 68 cuz these old machines are nothing but leaky seals and pumps etc. I don't think the hydraulic reservoir is that particular. If I don't have legit 68 I top it off with 40wt sometimes, steering fluid, even a couple gallons of motor oil after this one time with a popped hose in the middle of nowhere. Just that the motor oil is more expensive than the 68. As careful as I am with the correct tractor fluid in the transmissions, I'd probably put old fry oil in the hydraulic reservoir if it was free and would keep me working for the day. (ha ha just kidding there)
Just bought Hy- Trans for my 580k,case dealer 100 bucks not cheap but cheaper than brakes or trans issues
Finca sdr, so ya thats my current thinking. Use cheaper stuff in hydraulic tank and good stuff in the trans. I did them math on breaking it down price per qt. for the hy-trans and i guess its not any more expensive than motor oil. Under $5 dollars per qt... it just adds up when u need 20 plus gallons of it haha but i dont know for sure if the hydraulic system is separate from the transaxle, but i think so... the operators manual i got downloaded for the super k spec. Different types of oil for the hydraulic tank (tch? Or something like that). People report here on the forms the tch oil is unavailable now and case hy-trans ulta is the replacent.
From the service manual. Notice that the transmission REQUIRES HY-Trans.
Tractor Supply has a pail which PERFECTLY meets Case TCH spec. Like anything, read the labels. Hopefully you can find the details from "the last guy", the seller? YMMV.
Serial numbers tell all! Tractor, backhoe, loader, and engine are easily checked!
Or paper towel and lacquer thinner.... .. then the pencil to fill in the imprinted stamping, then polish with the paper towel. A smartphone at night (avoiding the glare of daylight), playing with the flash and with varying "background" illumination by a flashlight might be required to capture whats left of a damaged plate. BTDT, again this week!