Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Going to look at an oshkosh tommorrow??s

chtucker ยท 2006-10-05 22:49

Grant aka Big Chief/Gwellis got me hooked up to go look at an 80 oshkosh 2526 allison/Cummins 300 12' reversable 9' wing spreader truck. I am headed up in the afternoon to take a look... Bought/sold plenty of cars. Check fluids (burnt/water in oil/ oil in water/) Drive check Air brake leakdown? Function test everything. They have complete maintainence records from new, motor has 3k miles on it, truck has 80k. Asking 7-8k What else should I be thinking? Howard

Replies5
  1. #1dayexco2006-10-05 23:14

    buy yourself a twin screw dump w/plow. far more functional

  2. #2digger242j2006-10-05 23:40

    How much snow have you had already this season, Howard?

  3. #3chtucker2006-10-06 00:20

    22" at the top of the pass is what I heard today. I can't use a truck as long as a twin screw, and it won't have the traction to do what I need it to... I also need the lower gearing that is available in the tcase of an oshkosh for banking and going hill while plowing

  4. #4chtucker2006-10-06 23:31

    Air buzzer works, truck has been sitting since August, took a couple of minutes to air up. Stayed there even with a couple brake apps and bursts of air horn Air dryer in working looks newer than truck Nothing heard unsual from engine, started right up No retreads 75% Goodyear 18x22.5 No two speed rear as its 4wd, Tcase shifted easy from High to low Auto tranny with good red fluid 2006 inspection These tires where on the truck A bit of a hydro leak, some fender rust (nothing through) floors where good. Frame is good, no welds or cracks, same with springs. Brakes have plenty of life. Carbon steel spreader is fair. Everything functions properly. Drive shafts/U Joints are good. 55,000 miles 3300 hours. Motor was replaced with at some point with a 300 Big cam Turbo Cummins after an oil change "accident" All parts manuals/service records/oil analysis. Oil changed every 150 hours. Plow frames and wings look in good shape as do edges, wing is welded on outer edge (to be expected) doubled up cutting edges. Was asking 8900 with no bids, said make reasonable offer. Started talking to the guy and they are looking for a stainless spreader... Hmmm I have one of those..... I am going to offer 4k plus the spreader. They bought combo bodies last year on International 7500 4x6 dumps. The tailgate spreaders are getting jammed with the material they spread. I have a 6 yard Swenson EV100 still..... I told him that the spreader was in the 8-10k range new and that I was looking for 2500-3500 for it.... He seemed really excited. They don't have to go to the County Commissioners to ask for more money, they can just get rid of an excess assest and get what they need. I am gonna start at 4k plus the spreader and I think they are going to jump at it. I would be willing to pay $7500 cash too, but I want to see how low they will go. I am almost positive they are really willing to wheel and deal to save face. Woohooo. I will know on Tuesday... Howard

  5. #52004F5502006-10-07 00:18

    sounds like a good deal to me...good luck