Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

T-800 Hooklift update…

Wawrecker ยท 2006-09-19 23:42

Well it has 9,000 miles on it now, no trouble yet. We have been moving our EX-200 Hitachi with it on a 3 axle Trailmax with out any problems. We were doing a shut down job excavating 90 yards from a basement with a Brokk 180 Last weekend and I drove on Sunday, I took it over a private scale and it came in just under 80k gross. driving it you would never have known it.

Replies31
  1. #1CascadeScaper2006-09-20 00:08

    What a beautiful truck, I just love T800s. Glad you got everything to work out for you.

  2. #2Ford LT-90002006-09-20 01:11

    Truck looks good time to get lots of work to make it pay for itself. I like T-800 Kenworths too "Theres More Worth in Kenworth"

  3. #3CascadeScaper2006-09-20 02:18

    I'm back on the coast for college right now and I didn't realize last year when I was here how many Kenworths there are running around, way more than any other brand that's for sure. I don't know what it is about them that makes them the PNW's #1 truck, but they are by far.

  4. #4jazak2006-09-20 10:12

    Real nice truck:thumbsup

  5. #5Cat4202006-09-20 13:07

    I hope they never try to change the design of T-800s too much, they just look amazing. The two big material places around me both run Kenworths. One has T-800s , the other has W-900s. You should see the new T-800s they got with plenty of chrome and dual exhaust

  6. #6Ford LT-90002006-09-20 13:51

    With the new emmisions engines the hoods are going to be probably larger to house the extra crap hanging off the engine. You see the new 07 Petes they are ugly because the hood is longer and wider to accomodate the twin turbo engines.

  7. #7jazak2006-09-20 14:44

    That is a 06 I think.^^^^

  8. #8RyanCKing2006-09-20 23:53

    why the hook lift over a roll off?

  9. #9Wawrecker2006-09-21 00:05

    User friendly, low maintenance, strong, The truck is plumbed for a dirt pup since there is no bed over hang with a hook lift. We have 1 20 yd can with an air gate.

  10. #10thejdman042006-09-21 08:43

    _________________________________________________________________Nah theyll just cram 5 lbs of stuff into a 2 pound bag. Put more stuff in the same hole.:Banghead

  11. #11T Red2006-09-21 18:53

    So the container has an air gate? What do you use the container for? Can you spread stone with it? I like the set up and have often thought about the same type of set up. I was concerned about the payload on the tagalong. Tim

  12. #12Ford LT-90002006-09-22 00:43

    That would be handy to have a air trip on the container. The rolloff truck I ran (conventional rail) used to get out open the door it was a pain. The box was a lowsided box worked good as a dump box had to be carefull not to overload it. The one benefit of a hooklift is it acts like a dump truck because you don't have any rails that limits your dump angle or anything that drags on the ground. The drawback of a hooklift is it will never have the power of a conventional rail truck. The arm sees allot of stress the box also sees alot of stress being pulled over a set of stern rollers. The hooklift system is more expensive too over conventional rails. The system on WA's truck probably cost him 30,000 or more. It is still cheaper than having another truck say a truck with a flatdeck on it. What ever fits your needs and makes you money is what you buy.

  13. #13RyanCKing2006-09-22 01:07

    thanks for the explanation thats exactly what i was looking for.

  14. #14hvy 1ton2006-10-28 00:15

    I don't know if any of you guys now what I'm talking about but, here it goes. US Army M1075 is what they call a Palletized Loading System. It uses a hook-lift system and has flat decks, tanks, dumpers bodies, concrete mixers, bituminous distributors, even they pontoon bridges are moved by them. Any way they dump bodies have there own multistage cylinder, is that so they can lift a full load of dirt? I would think that would add a lot of tare weight, but the are 5 axle trucks- 2 front drive/steer, lift axle, 1 drive, 1 drive-steer. With a 3 axle hook-lift wagon trailer I'm pretty sure they can gross 120K, or at least the Army points there guns at the DOT officers AND gross 120K. You can look up oshkosh trucks or there are some pictures on 1075.com/ and SteelSoldiers

  15. #15K&W2007-11-04 23:53

    That's a nice truck man and I'm glad you like it and are making $$$$$ money with it!!! I plan on getting one in the next month or so, but a W900L extended hood, and I plan on getting a two axle pup trailer also!!!

  16. #16fireman0502007-11-05 01:27

    more pics please that truck is beautiful

  17. #17Wawrecker2007-11-05 11:10

    Thanks, We recently got around to getting it painted i think it came out pretty good. Im pretty confident we were ready to buy a truck since we have put 62,000 miles on it the first year.

  18. #18Wolf2007-11-05 12:41

    Great Pictures Great looking truck, WAWrecker, and a real sweet paint job. All your equipment looks good too. Even better, glad to hear you're making lots of $$$ with it. That's what it's all about. Keep on trucking, man.

  19. #19Per Eriksson2007-11-05 15:54

    Over here hooklifts are very common in the construction industry, many uses for the same truck, just get another type of bed and hook it. There are all sort of beds that people have for hooklifts ranging from a simple dumpbed to flatbeds with a crane mounted to it. http://www.cmt.se/SE/english-german.asp?page=20 Most common are 20 tons hooks on a regular tandem truck and 25 ton on a tridem. http://www.joab.com/l-serien.html In the garbage and recycling haulingindustry it's almost a standard with an tandem truck coupled with a 4 axle trailer that can carry 3 40 cubicmetre containers. http://www.lastbilsfoton.se/klickfoto.asp?ga=186

  20. #20Countryboy2007-11-05 18:17

    Welcome to HEF Per Eriksson! :drinkup

  21. #2195zIV2007-11-05 19:58

    I drove a 800 for about 8 months with a big knuckleboom on it and I LOVED IT . The only truck I could be cruising at 80 in and talk to someone on the phone and they thought I was in a office instead of my truck. I don't know about this though, we had two of the KW's and one had the single turbo Cat and Mine had a C-12 Twin and the hoods where identical. They both moved right along but they where so heavy and geared high so hills gave us a bit of a hiccup. Nothing they didn't cure by having the engines turned up.

  22. #22kamerad472007-11-06 17:23

    Nice truck the only thing I don't like is the float tires in the front! What I do is with regular tires, when the fronts wear down I cap them & use them on the rear. with the floats your one & done! (About $1000.00 a piece)

  23. #2395zIV2007-11-06 18:37

    That's what everyone was telling me about the big rears on my Pete, they don't really run super singles we are running just a big steer tire, a 425/65-r22.5. I just bought four of them for just over $500 a piece. Not just a plain steer axle tread but a good aggressive one.

  24. #24Wawrecker2007-11-07 10:04

    We have to run the big front rubber to legally put 20k on the front axle. We are licensed for 60k gross, that allows us to put about 14 ton in the can.

  25. #25K&W2007-11-07 11:57

    Like I said before....that's a nice looking ride:scool !!!! How much does it weight without a box? How much does it weight with an empty 40yrd box? Is your pusher axle rated for 13,200lbs or 20,000lbs? Do your 40yrd boxes have 1/4 in floors? Thanks, Bill

  26. #26kamerad472007-11-07 16:31

    wawrecker you must be use lite front axles? I run 20k fronts 58k rear with 11x22.5 tires on a triaxle gross at 80k.

  27. #27Nac2007-11-07 18:08

    you are running 11x22.5 on the front with a 20 front axle? There is no way you can get 20K rating with those tires. I have to run 425/65R22.5 to get 20K legal rating here in NJ

  28. #28kamerad472007-11-08 17:56

    my mistake 11x24.5 I been running them for 25yrs in nj. Who telling you, you can't the dealer?

  29. #29Nac2007-11-08 18:09

    11x24.5 has a max load og about 8,200 so that would give you 16,000 rating not 20,000

  30. #30kubota1232008-05-11 20:15

    Im interested in buying one of these trucks. About how much does one of these go for? How much for a metal box?

  31. #31dist32008-05-17 08:04

    Galfab offers an extendable tail roll off hoist. Dumps the same as a triaxle. We built one container with/as a dump body with its own hydraulic tarp. System works good as truck can deliver containers, construction work also pull on vacuum tank. Negative is the weight of the hoist.