Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Going to look at Hitachi EX120-3 excavator

Keith Merrell · 2022-06-26 16:01

Hello everyone, I am taking a look at an excavator this week that is out of state. What do I look for other than all the normal stuff like pins bushings engine hydraulics swing motor etc? It has a hydraulic thumb and my big question is can it run a hammer if it has a thumb? The machine is priced at $35,000 and has 4600 hours. Looks very nice.

Replies22
  1. #1Keith Merrell2022-06-26 16:10
  2. #2Tones2022-06-26 16:31

    To run a hammer the oil return has to go to the tank and not through the control valve. All thats required is a hose from the tank to the boom base, 2 gate valves and fittings. When operating the hammer remove the hoses from the thumb and couple to the hammer, turn on and off the appropriate gate valves and you're good to go

  3. #3Keith Merrell2022-06-26 16:36

    So one of the lines going to the thumb can be used as a supply, but a new line to the tank must be plumbed in as a return? Am I understanding you correctly?

  4. #4Tones2022-06-26 19:19

    By fitting a T to existing return line and and having it return to tank works. Each gate valve is fitted to the T so oil can be diverted either to the tank for hammer work or through the current system for the thumb and is done by closing one valve and opening the other. Both lines for the thumb maybe good enough for a hammer depending on it's size.

  5. #5skyking12022-06-26 20:01

    I will take some good pictures of all my fittings and the dedicated return line @Tones mentioned. My JD 120 will be similar enough to be useful. I had the return kit and valves added when I worked there about 15 years ago for a hoe pack.

  6. #6Keith Merrell2022-06-26 20:18

    Thanks to both of you. It sounds pretty simple really.

  7. #7skyking12022-06-26 20:49

    It is. It comes as a hard and soft line kit that bolts to the boom.

  8. #8Keith Merrell2022-06-26 21:26

    This machine is also set up for excavator controls, not backhoe like I run on everything I own. How easy is that to change without a pattern changer? As I recall, its a matter of switching hoses, and just knowing which ones to switch.

  9. #9skyking12022-06-26 21:29

    maybe it is time for YOU to switch

  10. #10Keith Merrell2022-06-29 14:58
  11. #11Keith Merrell2022-06-29 15:00

    Got the machine for $32,000. Just need to figure out transport now. The excavator was very well kept and the pins and bushings were nice and tight. The coupler had a little slack though, nothing I can’t shim and weld though.

  12. #12Welder Dave2022-06-29 15:32

    It seems to be missing a bunch of decals but looks pretty clean with no damage from swinging into things. I don't know if I'd mess with changing the control pattern. Circuits may have different relief valve settings, hoses or steel lines may not fit, etc. It could be a bit of a nightmare.

  13. #13Tones2022-06-29 16:51

    Learn to operate it with the current pattern. It's surprising how many different types of machines run that pattern including skidsteer loaders and wheel loaders.

  14. #14Tags2022-06-29 19:53

    You just need to switch around the pilot lines, so it wouldn’t affect any circuit relieves or anything like that, it’s just a matter of switching four lines I believe. Look up the member Uffex , I think he has some information on it, he’s incredibly helpful.

  15. #15Keith Merrell2022-06-29 20:15

    Thanks

  16. #16skyking12022-06-29 20:42

    congrats Keith!!

  17. #17skyking12022-06-29 20:46

    One of the ears is broken off that bucket. That will loosen things up!!

  18. #18The Peej2022-06-30 07:10

    good catch.

  19. #19Keith Merrell2022-07-20 02:00

    Excavator was delivered this Sunday. Real excited for it. Been so busy haven’t had the time to go through it yet or even play with it a little. First thing to do will be to change the control pattern from cat to Deere controls.

  20. #20Keith Merrell2022-07-20 02:04

    These are the 2 valves I found these valves from a quick look of the underside of the cab of the machine. Going to read up on it more it but those are my first suspicions.

  21. #21joelx7772022-07-22 19:05

    Congratulations on your new purchase! I bought the same machine a year ago, but the John Deere version of it. I think Hitachi made everything but the engine for it. The biggest problem mine had was that the fuel tank had lots of gunk in it, which eventually knocked out my fuel distribution pump ($1200 repair) and may have caused other future problems I don't know about. My suggestion is change all the filters and fluids and use OEM and really inspect the fuel tank prior to use. It's a great machine that does a lot of good work!

  22. #22Keith Merrell2022-07-22 21:42

    Thanks, I will inspect the fuel tank. I am in the process of servicing the machine, and I successfully changed the controls to backhoe style. Looking forward to using it! First job should be a septic it looks like.