Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Going union

CascadeScaper ยท 2007-12-28 03:38

Got a letter in the mail yesterday from the union, apparently they've found me to be a decent candidate for their apprenticeship program. I'm not out of the woods quite yet, have to go in and take their math and reading test, which I'm told is high school level so I should be fine with that. I also have to interview with the folks running the program, I'm assuming it's more of an opportunity for them to get to know the guys coming in than it is about "selecting" people, I think the resume and application process takes care of most of the selection, I could be wrong though. I'm guessing I have nothing to worry about and everything will work out, as long as I don't fail the tests. I'm not worried about the interview whatsoever, I'm pretty confident in my "people skills". 2 years working in a restaurant serving absolutely ridiculous people has honed those skills, being in business for myself for a few years also helped, I have no problem talking to people. Hopefully I'll be back in dirt full time come June, I have 2 months of training. That's the only thing I wish I didn't have to go through as an apprentice, the whole 2 months of training, but whatever. I'm ready to make some real money and actually want to go to work everyday. Working in excavation has been a seasonal and/or part time gig for me for the last 5 years. Either I ran equipment for 8 months out of the year with my dad back home or I was working a couple days a week running iron for a friend, I'm really ready for this to be a "career". Working 40-60 hours a week 8 months out of the year was alright back home, but where I'm at now it's a year 'round show.

Replies16
  1. #1Dwan Hall2007-12-28 04:11

    I would look forward to going to school again. You can always learn something new. Go with the additude you that you want to learn everything you can. As for the work been steady, LOL That is one thing you will learn is construction related work is never steady. If you get put on a job as an operator for a brick and mortar business then it could be steady but working for contractors or your self you will always find time off between jobs. Glad to see you have been invited to go to school. one step at a time will get you ware you want to go.

  2. #2CascadeScaper2007-12-28 05:12

    I'm going to go to the training looking to kick it in high gear, that's for sure. I'm just not really stoked about not getting paid for any of it, hard to pay bills when you're training 4 days a week and trying to hold a job working 3 days a week, weekends nonetheless. I suppose it'll be a change compared to college, which is learning I have to pay for and I don't really enjoy. At least at the grounds I'll be learning stuff I'll actually use daily.

  3. #3mikef872007-12-28 05:44

    the apprenticeship is only 2 months? Here it's 3 or 4 years. You have to go to school during the day for like a month then you go out in the field as an oiler or something. There a lot of work out your way? Around here I've been staying busy, but it could be better.

  4. #4NateV2007-12-28 10:42

    I think what he is talking about is the inital training that goes over all the saftey stuff and what not. Im sure the apprenticeship is the 3 or 4 years. Im thinking about doing my paper work to see if i can get in to it the apprenticeship program here as well.

  5. #5ragerider2007-12-28 11:29

    Good decision I did the same thing 6 years ago and never looked back! Its all what you make of it if your a good operator with good work ethick you can make a ton of money!!!

  6. #6RollOver Pete2007-12-28 19:16

    Congrats! Thats how I got in back in 1986. Even though I'd been running equipment since 1978, I still didn't know how to read plans or check grade. I went to the training site for 1 day and was cleared out on a 637B the next day. I went to school on the weekends for a short time and in 2 years I had enough hours to become a journeyman and move up to the A list. Things may have changed a bit since 1986 but starting out as you are is still a good way to go. Welcome aboard brother...:drinkup

  7. #7CascadeScaper2007-12-29 05:23

    Sorry for the mix up, initial training at the grounds is 2 months, the apprenticeship itself is 6,000 hours. Highway work and commercial jobs haven't stopped here in Seattle, there's just so much going on all the time. Most of the big boys here are union outfits, I know that isn't the case back east, but it's basically the norm around here. You want to run a scraper or get on a 65 ton excavator you're pretty much limited to union only outfits, there aren't many companies here doing jobs that would require that size equipment who aren't union, I'm not really sure why that is, though. I want some time on the big iron and this seems to be the route to take.

  8. #8CascadeScaper2007-12-31 03:16

    Curious if anyone knows the answer to this question, but the apprenticeship is split up into 4, 1,500 hour parts. First part covers tracked machines (dozers, excavators, etc..), second part is rubber tired machines (blades, loaders, backhoes), third part is cranes, mobile or stationary, and the last part is stationary equipment like crushing plants, washing plants, etc.. It's defined in the huge apprenticeship document from their website says this schedule should be followed. Anyone know if they really follow this closely? Curious if I'll have to watch a crushing operation for 1,500 hours to fulfill those requirements. Wouldn't mind the crane operation, I have no experience there, just wondering if anyone knows a little more about these requirements and what constitutes them as being fulfilled.

  9. #9fensoncont.2008-01-02 00:00

    Those Union companies grow much faster, which allows them to go where the work is and take on a job of any size. They take their foremans and mechanics, perhaps some of there union boys then pull local union men such as operators, laborers, and teamsters from the local hall in that area. Here in Ohio Miller Contracting Group has been in business since 1970, they have a 450C LC as there largest excavator, biggest dirt job? On the other hand Trucco Construction Company established in 1992 has a PC 750 as well as a Deere 800C LC, who have completed a 1.5 mil. cy project in Kentucky. Around here the projects deadlines are way to tight for non union guys to attempt it. The one thing you have to think about is always the deciding factor in my eyes, do I want to travel? Funny how things like that work.

  10. #10qball2008-01-03 15:53

    union i got in local 150 in 1993 when i was 18. served a 4 year appernticship. i have worked steady ever since. it was the best thing to ever happen to me.

  11. #11thejdman042008-01-03 17:17

    good luck

  12. #12CascadeScaper2008-01-04 01:59

    I'll travel wherever they send me, I have no commitments. No girlfriend, no kids, no problem!

  13. #13fensoncont.2008-01-04 07:25

    I think you'll enjoy yourself then, good luck!

  14. #14kamerad472008-01-04 16:22

    The union is great if you can get in, It's real hard to get in. the old times don't want to give up the easy gig's the stay to 65. It's not the family for tavel it's the gas to get there!!

  15. #15Bluwenis2008-01-22 09:31

    It's not hard to get into 302 in Seattle. There is so much work here they are begging people to join the apprenticeship and stealing people from non-union companies. I know other parts of the country are having trouble, but Seattle and the PNW should be strong for quite awhile. However, we all will get our turn searching for work and sitting on the list.

  16. #16smalltime2008-01-22 20:31

    It seems like crane operators have it the best. Fewer of them, and a pretty steady demand for the good ones, especially if you can pass the drug tests.