Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

It hurts to say this.

YoungOne · 2007-12-25 13:18

Seems as though things arent going as great as i thought. We have alot of work, but something is going wrong in management i guess. I am still on the d8T. But i want to put this out there. I am willing to start looking for employment elsewhere in the united states. So if you know anyone hiring let me know. I am young and willing to work hard, pour concrete ( i can set it up too ) Read plans ( im not afraid to ask you to double check though ) I have operated the following pieces of equipment d3lgp,d4lgp,deere 450, d5, d6. d4 H series II, My current machine is Cat D8t. Cat 420 backhoe. ( i can run joysticks and wobble sticks. ) Cat 345 Cat 320, John Deere 270LC. Cat 315. Cat 963 Track loader. And i've laid pipe both in ditch and machine. I completed a 7 foot tall 114 foot wall in two weeks with three guys. And had never did one. And i was " foreman. " on that job. No scrapers. And i have a few hours on the grader. Unfortunately only a little time in a haul truck. I just want consistent work. I am willing to start in the ditch, or with a trow. And work my way up into a piece of equipment. I just need them to know. I am in the Army and once a year that requires me missing a friday of work. And once a month i wont be able to work weekends. Soldier first And i want to learn, no matter how much i learn. There is always more. Experienced operators. superintendents have told me that. " you dont make it in life unless you take the shovel out of the owners hands. " I want to learn more about setting up a job, and eventually be a superintendent for a medium to large size company. Or own my own one day. So please dont frown when i ask you questions. I have interest in getting my CDL and moving equipment on the weekends. And i am willing to put in as many hours as needed. Sadly i know little about mechanic work. I am willing to work on big/small jobs. As long as i can learn, and there is chance for advancement. I wont ask to start with more pay than i can start off with. If i have to leave virginia to work else where. I may need help starting out, but you have a soldiers word i will pay them back. In work,time, and money. -Michael- I appreciate any help. Dont let me being 19 discourage you.

Replies135
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-12-25 13:58

    What will discourage an employer is an applicant that has not worked anywhere for more than a few months at a time. Like it or not, your age is showing in your constant bouncing from job to job and idea to idea. Put a plan for your future together and stick to it, I know I wouldn't seriously consider anyone who appears to be a drifter for employment.

  2. #2YoungOne2007-12-25 14:27

    Thank you steve. Well if our company is having problems in management. I want to start looking around before im left without a job. I've been with him almost a year altogether. And off and on since i was young. ( Pouring concrete here and there ) -Michael-

  3. #3Dozerboy2007-12-25 17:02

    That has never hurt me, and I've never worked for the company that doesn't have a lot of guys quit in under 6 months. I've worked for over 8 companies and moved to a new state 6 times in the last 6 years 4 of those I spent in socal. Not once has anyone said anything about it and I've never turned in more then a few apps before I got a offer I took. Most companies need good hands bad that care about there job and the ones that don't stick around normally ain't working out that well, so there use to a high turn over. Michael, There are jobs every where doing all kinds things. Decide what your looking for and find a job that will get you there. If it ain't working out move on and try again. I would settle for pouring concrete, but you didn't pick the best time of year to be looking for a job in the region that you live in.

  4. #4YoungOne2007-12-26 10:21

    I Lost My Job This Morning So my hunch was right. I was let go this morning. In a respectable way. He told me that i had did a great job and wished me best in the future. And that I could call him in the future for a reference anytime. He gave me a bonus, and my last check. And i left. Management problems. I had a hunch.. -Michael- Can anyone help?

  5. #5Turbo218352007-12-26 10:36

    So this company you worked for has 5-10 employees. They have more work than they can handle. What kind of management problems can you have that forces you to lay off employees. After the purchase of a D8, and the current workload they would need more employees not less.

  6. #6Steve Frazier2007-12-26 10:53

    That's exactly my point. Run up a laundry list of enough of these and you will either gain a reputation of being a quitter or being difficult to work with.

  7. #7YoungOne2007-12-26 11:03

    Well we had three owners. And i guess one of them got greedy or something idk. All i know is that im out of a job, and filing unemployment right now until i find a job. Miss my d8 though Everything happens for a reason though. I'm trying to look at this in the right manner. And not be pesimistic about it. I'll find something. Entry level and work my way up and show someone else that i could be of value to them. -Michael-

  8. #8DirtHauler2007-12-26 12:35

    You might try applying at local gravel pits, around here the non union ones are always stuggling to find good operators. The gravel pits seem to have more stable year round work too. Most good operators seem to get bored with the repetitive work at gravel pits, but for a young operator its a great place to learn more about effiency since that is the name of the game at these places. As far as relocating goes, you might look into what it takes to work in Alaska. I have no information about alaska work but I keep hearing stories about big money there for single guys who can come work the summer season there. Stories about 12 hour days, 7 day weeks, and more money then you can spend. Also if you have the freedom to travel you might look into huge companies like Kiewit, I had a friend get hired on there and now he travels with the crew he is on all over the western US. They basicly live in motels whereever the job takes them. I believe kiewit only hires union operators though. :beatsme I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to take advantage of this time off to better yourself. Take a hazmat class, get your CDL, take a first aid / CPR class, or anything you can between looking for more work. Best of luck and keep your head up. :drinkup

  9. #9Construct'O2007-12-26 15:13

    First off! if the rumor you heard or was told? then sounds like you did anything wrong.With that said there are always to sides of the story!!!! For now i wouldn't be running all over the country,wrong time of the year for work in the norther(midwest).I'm sure there is jobs going on closer for now.Just be glad you have worked long enough to file for uneployment.Holidays are never a good time to be looking for work.Espeically after! Since you have days off now hit the local companys and take a drive acorss your state looking for work.Stop ask who,where,there is work and if they are hiring.If you see construction going stop and ask just like you was doing. Nothing is for ever it seems,more so now then older days.Easy come and hard to come by sometimes. Could be worst ,you could be living out of a box.Your 19,what if you was 60.Hang in there it will happen!Sometimes it just takes a while.Good luck:usa

  10. #10Dozerboy2007-12-26 17:10

    Oops I ment wouldn't

  11. #11DuraMaxMan662007-12-26 18:47

    Look for a decent land fill to get into, Thats where I'm at now and I love it! Im making pretty decent money and all I do is operate. The land fill I'm at is pretty notch and has very nice working conditions. I arrive every mourning and they machines are already sitting out there on the pile running, greased, and ready to roll, except for haul trucks since they have so many, they are sitting there with the keys in them ready to go. The machines are always nice and clean inside and they dont smell inside or anything. The smell of a landfill takes some getting used to but you barely notice it after you adjust. As I recall there is a farely big landfill in VA somewhere that has very nice machines. A friend of mine is a service tech for Al Jon landfill compactors and has been down there before. Just a piece of advice....

  12. #12pushcat2007-12-26 20:12

    So, you worked for this company, what, a couple months? And you're going to draw unemployment off of them or Wal-mart? Things were all peachy and then you got canned, with all kinds of work and a new machine just for you? Are you sure you're not yankin' our chain a little or what? With some of the questions you asked and some of your comments it makes a guy wonder.:beatsme

  13. #13YoungOne2007-12-26 20:22

    Thanks duramax. im going to go see tomorrow And pushcat. i worked for them about a year. total. And i can collect off them. -Michael- Why would i lie over the internet? im not proud of being unemployed.

  14. #14rino14942007-12-27 15:59

    I wish we had enough work. I'd hire you. It is nice to see a young person like me that has the fire in his belly and determination for the dirt business. Best of luck to you.

  15. #15637slayer2007-12-27 17:51

    if operating equipment is what you want to do and you like it alot ry to get a job building something first at a smaller company wether its pads or roads or even a farmer running a tractor, but if its possible a smaller company with people that will help and teach you with individual help. any job around equipment is helpful, if you go right to a big company you get all the benefits 401k all the insurance and stuff, but you also get alot of idiots with stupid ideas who think they are great and dont mind telling you so, trying to teach you how to do things usually the wrong way. i work at a small mine and just when i think ive seen it all i see something that just blows me away.whatever you do have fun.

  16. #16YoungOne2007-12-27 23:31

    Things Looking Up So today i went out and put in a bunch of applications. I first started at a small concrete company/ gravel pit. They had openings. I then went to a concrete finishing friend of mine. And he said hed love to hire me but didnt have the work. And then i went to a rebar fabrication shop. And the highlight of my night was when i went by our big aggragate (sp?) I went in and i got to talk to head of maintenance due to him being my ex-employers friend. After talking to him a while and looking around. He asked me how many hours i had on a dozer i said about " about 1000 " and then he asked about an excavator and i said " probably around 650-700 " And he understandingly asked me how i got that much seat time being young. " i guess im the opposite of the kids i graduated with i want to work. I've did alot of work in the ditch/ gradechecking and earned a small spot. Then it took a bigger part " He asked me if i knew how to slotpush with a dozer. And i was honest with him telling him that i had did it in cut/fill with a d8t. But i wouldnt be able to tell him how to in the mining business. He told me he had openings for a d10n operator. And 777 haul truck drivers. He also had openings for Cat 5130 operator but that would be filled the next day due to the operator losing his job early this morning and filled in for the rest of the day. He asked me if i would like to apply. And i said i'd love too, but i wouldnt expect to get a job. He told me that if im willing to work slotpushing or in a haul truck. And complete a mine safety class that he would try to get me a job. But he did say that once they seen i was 19 they might not want to read my application haha. Things looking up though. So what is slotpushing as far as mining goes? Any tips on driving the big trucks ( i know not to run over things ) help ideas/jobs still welcome. Applied at two landfills too -Michael-

  17. #17Eric2007-12-27 23:33

    If you are willing to relocate mining is booming right now, copper over $3 a pound. Almost every mine I've heard of in the western U.S.A. is hiring. Age not a factor, I work with guys barely out of high school with NO expierience!! Look up Phelps Dodge or Freeport McMoRan online.

  18. #18YoungOne2007-12-27 23:36

    Thanks for the fast response eric. I'm sure you have tips on slotpushing in a mine, and haul trucks then right? * hint hint * Looking them up now -Michael-

  19. #19bobcat ron2007-12-28 12:39

    Slot pushing is dozing in the same spot until the ground is almost half way up the undercarriage, (you've now dug a trench) it doubles your blade capacity, once you get deep enough that the fill doesn't start sluffing in, move over 6 feet or so and doze it down the the level of the first slot, then in a few pushes, push out the island in the middle and repeat. I spent 4 days on an older powershift Deere pushing 1000 feet of a natural ridge into a large ditch this way, it was a hell of a lot of fun.

  20. #20YoungOne2007-12-29 12:05

    The guy from the mine called me early this morning saying he had some work to do at the mine ( this mine works 20 hours a day 5 days a week ) And said that he couldnt promise me a job but if i wanted to run the equipment for a few hours i could. So I went out there and got to slot push with a 10N ( he wouldnt let me touch the d11R ) And he let me run a few passes with a 777. And i helped him repair a hydraulic line on a d8t. ( Pain in the butt ) So basically i spent my saturday morning working for free. And having fun. But like he told me. Even if I dont work there, i can go somewhere else and say " yeah i've ran that big equipment before " So i said thanks and laughed. I thought that d8t would push alot of dirt til i got in the 10 Running that truck was something else, i just took it slow. Backing up is weird... And hard. I'll get used to it one day i guess. Much respect to my truckers now -Michael-

  21. #21DirtHauler2007-12-29 12:21

    Congrats, every experience will make you better at what you do. I know that running an excavator loading trucks for a few days made me a better truck driver. I learned how much easier it can make things on the operator if the driver takes care to line up with the machine straight. I think that if more laborers and operators realized how poor the visibility is in trucks while backing that they would be a bit more helpful with guideing them back and make a better effert to stay well away from them. I am jealous of your adventure today and proud of your ambition. Its refreshing to hear of your stories, can be a lession for us all that there is no substitute for going after what you want. :beerchug

  22. #22YoungOne2007-12-29 12:30

    Thanks for your post. I'm afraid that if i dont go out after what i want. The chance will be taken from me. I love equipment. Not computers, Not achohol Not drugs. I love hydraulics. I'm different than those my age. I'm going to make it in life. Hopefully moving dirt Or teaching a young person like myself how to move dirtone day. -Michael-

  23. #23DirtHauler2007-12-29 12:41

    Just don't let a woman ointhead get between you and your true love YELLOW IRON

  24. #24YoungOne2007-12-29 12:51

    Haha. I just told my mom last night that these were my plans for life. " pay my new car off, land, house, bulldozer,wife." haha. in order -Michael- Wonder how hard it is to find one that likes yellow iron?:beatsme Any tips on backing those big trucks dirthauler? Can you give me an example for articulated and rigid? thanks!

  25. #25pwrstroke6john2007-12-29 19:08

    welll your priorities seem to be in the right order! on backing up dump trucks i try to take a picture in my head of whats around where im going and then hope i dont hit anything.

  26. #26Truckie2007-12-29 21:59

    When I use to drive and I was backing up and getting loaded with the machine sitting behind the tailgate I would line up the bucket or attachment in the center of the bed and would always be able to see a bit of the operator in the left mirror in the machine when I was backing up. If I was getting loaded from the side I would try to get the bucket right along the side of the bed the machine was sitting on or just in towards the center a bit. I never had a problem with a operator doing it this way, and now that I’m an operator I try to get the drivers I load to do it the same way for me. Seems to work well for me.

  27. #27YoungOne2007-12-29 22:07

    Thanks. My short time ( 1 hour ) in an d250e i was told to back up where i could see the operator in the right mirror. And this morning i had to back up next to the 5130 loading me with my drivers side mirror closest to him. ( both massive machines ) -Michael-

  28. #28Truckie2007-12-29 22:26

    I find and found this to be pretty much the norm with that size machine. Most of my 13 years of driving was with road dump trucks and dump trailers, but I also got to run a few small off road dirt haulers. They were in the range of 50 ton of so. So when backing the much larger haul trucks up to the larger machines that load them I would believe it to work the same or close to it. But with the size of some the equipment more or less put the center of the bed where the operator has the bucket. I may not have all the answers but I’m here just like you are, and that is to learn and help others with what I already know.

  29. #29YoungOne2007-12-29 22:55

    Thanks truckie. Well your right. We're in this together. And hopefully one day i will have the advice of some of the people on this site i kinda look up too. All the way over the internet. Grader4Me,Deas Plant Lowboy, RonG, dirthauler, Lashlander, RolloverPete. Always seem to have a load full of information. That's just a few no harsh feelings towards anyone The 777 i thought i was going slow. Just talked to the guy again and he asked me how i liked it and i said i loved it. and he said " well good, it's always nice to see first timers going 3 miles per hour with eyes poking out there head wondering if their going to hit the excavtor their at this point too far from." Love that big machinery though Makes me wanna mine. Hell right now, i just want a job to pay the car off/ the other little bills i have. ( luckily i am 6 months ahead on the car ) -Michael- Thanks

  30. #30jimmyjack2007-12-29 23:09

    i've always backed up the same way when i was driving worked pretty good most times. another thing they liked was when using a small machine (ex 312or315 size) the last five feet or so kick the back of the truck to the right(pass side) so they could see over the side a little, a bigger machine u can look over the gate.

  31. #31DirtHauler2007-12-30 00:06

    Off road truck backing tips... Back up as little as possible. watch tire tracks of previous trucks (assuming loading spot does not change drasticly. Check both mirrors more than once make sure you have some kind of pre established DANGER signal worked out with those around you (like horn or drop bucket on your box) DO NOT USE A CELL PHONE WHILE YOUR TRUCK IS MOVING!!! MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR WINDOWS AND MIRRORS CLEAN!!! If you get in the truck and the mirrors are broken or out of adjustment, get them where you need them BEFORE you need them. (employers can pay a years wages for what a fender bender cost when we start talking mining equipment) if you can, if you need to wait for other trucks or whatever, wait to pull up to where you are gonna start backing up until you are ready to back up. (don't pull up and sit then go from waiting directly to backing if you can help it. This way everyone knows you are on the move before you start backing.) if the machine is waiting on you, back up till he starts moving or dirt starts getting dumped into you. atriculated trucks will make you crazy, the mirrors are about useless while backing on a turn, so whenever possible always set yourself up to back straight up with one of them. OH and there are 2 types of articulated truck drivers, those who have tipped one over and those who WILL tip one over. I am a 2x member of the club.

  32. #32YoungOne2007-12-30 00:55

    :usa Thanks for the tips guys. Dirthauler, I hope not to become a member of the club who flips the truck -Michael- wow 3 mph did real fast in that big thing :usa

  33. #33INSTRUCTOR WAR2007-12-30 01:20

    Having your priorities togethor in this industry will take a young man far if he plays his cards right, so many people in this industry are either eat up with chemical dependencies, or have 20 years in the industry and really only have one year of experiance 20 times added witht he fact that the ole vets are dying off. It makes it pretty easy to move up through the ranks as long as your not a cowboy who tears more stuff up than the company can pay for. its not an easy road but u can become successfull through dilligence. just make sure when the old guys are talkin, that you are listening.

  34. #34digger242j2007-12-30 09:17

    I've never heard it expressed that way, but that's a very profound statement, and too true. :notworthy

  35. #35YoungOne2007-12-30 11:50

    Most of the time i stand to the side and listen. Or ask questions. But sometimes all i get is " we can't tell you how to do something, you wont know til you sit up there. " I dont wantt o know how to do something. But a better idea helps Well i understand that one day i am going to be one of those veterans. I will probably be in a warzone not long from now. But then i can operate equipment. And fulfill my duty FOR the united states. -Michael-:usa :usa

  36. #36637slayer2007-12-30 13:46

    sounds like a good break youngone, take advantage of those opportunities,slot dozing is easy. learn how to use the cmputer on the newer dozer, you should be able to load your dozer in the lengthe and a half of your dozer, then carry it the rest of the way out,work your cut from front to back trying to keep a downhill push,i try to never get a slot deeper than my dozer.after i get a slot dozer deep i move over take that one dozer deep,then i angle into the windrow and carry it down the slot starting at the back,using the dozer to steere not the clutches,that takes practice.

  37. #37YoungOne2007-12-30 21:15

    So tonight i went back out to the mine. ( trying to get a job so i wouldnt risk pictures ) and my buddy from the maintenance team was there, he had called and asked me if i would be willing to help him change the oil in a few machines, and a few filters. In exchange for more time in the d10n and he would let me load ONE truck with rock with the 5130. Aggragate prices must be up or something, Because they were working today on sunday. Needless to say the 5130 operator didnt like it when i said " bill said i could take one pass with the hoe." He told me to stop and he even called up to bill to make sure i wasnt lieing to him. ( i caught a ride on a 777 to the hoe ) So i got in the seat and my first thoughts were " alot bigger than a 345 " haha. The operator was there the whole time. I turned out a 777 in 4 minutes. Bad? i just tried not to hit anything. And then i let him shut it down for the night. And was told that i could take a d10n ( they have three ) And push the rock from that pass up to operator so he can start there in the morning. So i did what i was told. So tempted to put that ripper in the ground and let her go but i didnt. And then i did the part that i need to learn more about. Changed the oil,oil filter, hydraulic filters/oil in a 777. ( Much more respect to my mechanics even filters on those things are a pain ) Bill made it look easy though. Another eventful day. working for free sometimes can be fun. Bill said that the " boss " knew i was out there. So he wasnt worried about me getting him in trouble. Bill knew my father and knows that growing up around equipment was no more than looking out a car window, And fighting to make ends meat. So equipment was out of the question. So things are looking up i hope. I just need to find something. Happy New Years everyone. And godbless my fellow troops in the sandbox. Hoaah! -Michael-:usa

  38. #38YoungOne2008-01-06 18:25

    LOVE my job. The server reset erased my post so. I got the job at the mine running the d10N/ other equipment. In four days i have put in 60 hours trying to get a full week in. Love slotpushing/ shovel cleanups with the big dozer. Still cannot help but look out the window sometimes at the d11's working near me. Filled out a bunch of forms, and they gave me a certification in mining. ( passed the test ) and everything. Gave me aquestionaire asking me where i would like to go with the company and i put " It's already an honor to be here at such a young age,I hope to perform well, have fun running equipment and move up into the shovel or eventually a dragline one day. A pit foremen would be a great job, that i am willing to train and go to school for. " Big dreams love my job so far! -Michael-

  39. #39DirtHauler2008-01-06 18:46

    Have someone take a few pictures of you at work in the mine then take them to show the people you use to work with at Wal-Mart. You never know you might inspire one of them to take some risk and better their life. Show them where some ambition can get them.

  40. #40YoungOne2008-01-06 19:28

    i want to get pictures for HEF first. Wal-Mart was a learning experience that's the way i look at it. Now i am one step closer my goal. Making more than most my age. Time to find that land i want now Ambition is really the most important thing in life right now i think. If i dont see what i want in the future i wont have it. If i blow my future on drugs/ achohol i wont have it. If I find a great woman that i love but she doesnt support me loving yellow iron. I wont have it. I would rather live alone, than not do what i love to do. And for now that is operate a piece of equipment, pour concrete. And make it in life. The only thing that can stop me is me. And as long as i say my prayers i will be lead the right direction. -Michael-

  41. #41YoungOne2008-01-24 02:13

    An update I know it has been a few weeks since i gave an update so here it is. I LOVE MY JOB My pit foreman entered me into a " training " program last week. All i do is rotate machines every day. From D10n,D11 R Cat 777, Cat 5130, Cat 5230. PC2000. Rumor has it we are moving to NEW bigger trucks in the next month or so Very happy about this. Wish i could get you some pics. But we had a " meeting " today. And cameras were mentioned. Some people got caught taking pictures. And were written up/ and given a few days at home without pay. Waiting pays off. Getting used to a shovel from a excavator is weird? Transitioned now -Michael- Still 19, And willing to work with, and as hard as anyone older than me. Some of young people DO work.

  42. #42RollOver Pete2008-01-24 02:42

    Thats great! I'm glad for ya! See, everything happens for a reason. What you went through in the past has put you where you are now. And that my friend sounds like a good thing.:drinkup

  43. #43Lashlander2008-01-24 02:52

    Well as far as I'm concerned thats a small price to pay for keeping us supplied with pictures. Where I come from Its called takin one for the team!:laugh Sounds like your doing good!:thumbsup

  44. #44Rockbreaker2008-01-24 03:36

    :jerry:woohoo:jerry

  45. #45tonka2008-01-24 04:12

    Congratulations :usa

  46. #46YoungOne2008-01-24 12:30

    Thanks guys My only question is, is fingertip steering optional? Or is that how they come, want it that way or not? -Michael-

  47. #47Dozerboy2008-01-24 12:30

    Congrats :drinkup

  48. #48Construct'O2008-01-24 12:56

    Might want to rename this thread " Too it doesn't hurt" Can't tell you about the fingertip steering,mine is diff steer. You should be able to find out soon,at the rate your going.Let us know what you think then .Good luck:usa

  49. #49RollOver Pete2008-01-24 13:04

    I can't stand fingertip controls. I realize that they are for improved productivity... But lets be real. Was pulling on a friction like on a 9L really that hard? For me, it's much easier to feel the machine with the longer throw of the 9L steering. Turns seemed easier and smother. These tiny finger steering button thingys just aren't for me. They give me cramps in my knuckles. Sure I've operated new dozers..... They are always nice when they are new. With little buttons and switches, operator pre-sets, fine tuning knobs, heated arm rests to keep your poor overworked lil fingers from cramping up. Its hard for me to get comfortable in these politically correct machines. Give me a hand throttle with two steering /friction brakes in the middle, a hood that is impossible to see over, rippers in the rear that block your view and a huge motor that maybe red lines @ 1800 rpms. Give me a D9H and I feel right at home. If thats asking for too much, a 9L will do...

  50. #50Rockbreaker2008-01-24 13:31

    Hello ROP. Call me lazy,but i like fingertip steering and comfort But the sound of starting up a D9H gives me a smile everytime. Unbelivabel how cool that sound is That i miss but that would be all.

  51. #51RollOver Pete2008-01-24 23:23

    As a kid.....12-13 years old growing up here in the Indio area, those old machines fascinated me. As luck would have it, I was at the right place at the right time. No one in my family had anything to do with equipment, construction, or any of the building trades. The desert had just started to take off back in 1977. I had just moved here from Burbank and didn't know anyone. So that summer, I'd hang out across from a date palm grove that was being cleared. I'd sit there all day in the shade watching those old 988's, 980's, MF70's & 50's, and that old high output D8. The old timer who owned all of the equipment noticed me watching from across the street. He did what no one in their right mind would ever think about doing today. He took a chance and gave a kid who he knew nothing about an opportunity to learn something new. Next thing I knew, I was learning the old school tricks of running a 977L, D9H, 980, 988, 613 and the 2U. Running them was only part if it. Caring for them, listening to how they ran, maintaining them, repairing them.... Every day was a learning day out in that field. Those machines were almost new back in 77. I spent all the time I could out there running those old Cats... Weekends, after school, summer, spring and winter break.. I was in kids tractor heaven doing what no other kid that I knew was doing. The best part is that after some time I was even getting paid! So....maybe thats why I always seem to turn to the older machines and the old school ways of operating, maintaining and repairing them. They were good times. And those old timers who gave me a chance impacted my life in a huge way. To them, I'm forever greatful... So.....hows that for wondering off topic? I hate it when that happens....:Banghead What were we talking about anyways?:beatsme

  52. #52YoungOne2008-01-25 01:22

    I was wondering because the machines i run now have " fingertip steering " And i prefer the clutches just because i think i can feel what the machine does more. On the old D4H i love that setup, idk what to name it though to handles... D10/D11 makes that new d8t feel so small D -Michael-

  53. #53637slayer2008-01-25 12:47

    if you have already got to run a shovel im jelous, good job sounds like you have gotten the job that you wanted what a cool break, just like rolloverpete said things happen for a reason. personaly i have gotten used to the fingertip controls and like them, but again all i do is slot doze, i can see where people fine tuning stuff would have a prob with them theres not much room between n and full brake, with some practice youll get the feel of it, even with the bigger dozers you can start to feel the sweet spots in the steering, watch out you pull back a little not enough pull back a little more and wamo you are cranked sideways, good luck and keep us posted, dont get in trouble but try some pics.

  54. #54YoungOne2008-01-27 00:51

    The job is great. They let me try a scraper at the end of the day. When i went up and chatted with our " cleaning " guys as we call em haha. It was a 637 needless to say I AM NOT A SCRAPER hand The shovel is awesome. And yeah i've cranked myself sideways twice unfortunately. =/ My pit foreman says once we get bigger trucks, and hire more guys i might get put in one of them for a while. But really i dont care. I've already shown i can put out production on the big equipment. Now i dream of a dragline.... -Michael-

  55. #55Eric2008-01-27 22:35

    Are you getting to run an electric shovel?? Swinging with your right hand still gets me sometimes. Sounds like you are having a ball, congratulations! I know how you feel about the camera, I sneek mine in when ever something new comes in. Other than that I leave it at home. I hope my boss ain't reading this!:usa

  56. #56CascadeScaper2008-01-28 01:38

    Glad you're enjoying the new job. When one door closes, another one opens, gotta keep that perspective about things. Sounds like you're better off now than you were before. Good luck!

  57. #57YoungOne2008-01-29 01:28

    Well last week i went from D10N monday d11 R tuesday 777 wednesday 5130 hoe thursday friday 5230 shovel. Half a day saturday 824 doing shovel clean ups ointhead I havent been able to touch the electric shovel yet -Michael- Does your mine run draglines? I heard they are one of the hardest machines built, to run. Wish i had more insight from the operators point of view. Just in case i end up on one one day Or in a training program.

  58. #58YoungOne2008-01-29 01:32

    Your right. I was really down after losing my job on the d8t. And now my old employer also commends me on what i am doing. Meeting production standards every day. And learning. One day i would love to be a pit foreman, a dragline operator. Or a full time shovel operator. Dreaming still... But i am lucky just to get a chance on these at all. Let alone 19. But atleast i think if i ever have to leave this job, i will have a good background. Spending 60-80 hours in a machine every week. Doesnt look bad on your resume Youngest man before i got there was 31 -Michael-

  59. #59redline2008-01-29 01:53

    I read the entired thread youngun and ur a true professional in the making, congrats on ur effort and acheivments.

  60. #60YoungOne2008-01-29 01:56

    Thank you sir. I hope to be able to teach others one day how to operate or atleast how to give them a chance. Some of the things i see the pictures of members doing i am amazed of. I do miss that d4 doing fine grade work though. Who knows one day i might get a good offer from someone on this site and go work for them. Dreams... One foot in the door at a time. And on the other side.. you will see if they are real or make believe.

  61. #61Eric2008-01-29 21:04

    No draglines. . Mostly used in coal mines. Maybe someday.:usa

  62. #62YoungOne2008-01-31 11:30

    At first i wasnt too excited about this. But i guess i am now, because it is a piece of equipment that i havent been on much. And they say it is one of the hardest machines to master. Anyways, we lost our grader operator this weekend in a car accident And everyone at work volunteered me to start training on it.:Banghead To main tain roads etc. ( As in the regular operators volunteered me, not my pit foreman ) Which is pretty cool i guess. I even got called " Mike " last week. And not " Kid " -Michael- So do you guys think i got put into a good spot? Or should i have stayed in the other equipment.

  63. #63637slayer2008-01-31 13:54

    seems like another good chance, where i work you have to wait a long time before you get a chance to run a blade, ive run blades and personally i think a big shovel would be funner maybe because ive never been around them.

  64. #64CascadeScaper2008-01-31 22:52

    Hahaha, I know that feeling.

  65. #65Construct'O2008-02-01 00:19

    Hi ! Mike Only thing is that running a blade on the haul road can get pretty boring,except when you get in the road of the big trucks or scrapers. As for a mine i see not much to do other then maintain the road,but others maybe be more in lighting of other uses.Usually the blade man use to get more over time at nights smoothing up late after others quit ,especially if they thought it was going to rain that night. If on a road job you would be doing finish work,blue topping ,but now with GPS that would probably change.Also they would be slope work,plus the haulroad.Maybe even a v-ditch or two.More things on road jobs to keep you entertained. Again more overtime here for sure!!!! Good luck Mike:notworthy:usa

  66. #66YoungOne2008-02-01 20:21

    So i got on the grader. So i went out and got on the 140H with 1300 hours. And told the pit foreman let me try it out. And if i do bad yell at me. At first i just tried to stay out of the way. But by the end of the day i was down on the truck roads. Grading fast with trucks behind me Kind of exciting. Since all our equipment is equipped with radios so we can communicate to each other as operators/ management. I got one " Hey kid, keep it flat none of that fancy stuff " ( Looked pretty bad at first ) And by the end of the day the same truck driver said " Good job mike " Miss the shovel/dozer. But as Constructo mentioned. I will be getting alot of time and half I began to tell the boss that i think i am ready to try the electric shovel, it should be part of my training program. And we should get out that dang water truck/ 824. Nice grader though, well maintained. XM radio. etc. -Michael- I went from " YoungOne " to " The Kid "

  67. #67redline2008-02-01 22:37

    well done youngone

  68. #68Eric2008-02-01 22:45

    Well good on ya Mike! You are in a great spot, learn evrything they will put you on. You have about 45 years to master it all. Just take what they GIVE you, and be patient...ie..shovels. At the mine I work at it used to take years and years to even go from haul trucks to equipment, let alone shovels. A guy would work 15 to 20 years before getting a crack at one. You are in a very, VERY, good spot. Just enjoy!

  69. #69RollOver Pete2008-02-01 23:50

    Pssstt... Hey Michael.. I'll let you in on a little secret Michael. Bosses and foremen get paid to tell us what to do. The last thing they want is for anyone, including a young operator as yourself to tell them what to do or how to do it. There are ways of asking them for their opinion regarding how your operating skills are coming along. What areas do they feel that you can improve on? Would they have any suggestions or different operating techniques that you might try in order to help you become a better operator? And when the time comes, would they possibly consider you training to operate other pieces of equipment? The point I'm trying to make is... You never want to insult the intelligence of a foreman or Boss by telling them how to do anything. Even if you know for a fact that your idea is way better than theirs, thats not what we get paid to do. They give orders us. We take those orders and make it happen....their way. If you challenge them by telling them what to do, or threaten their intelligence by showing them that your way was is better than theirs, it always ends up causing you nothing but problems. Next thing you know, they have attitudes and you are sitting at home. You gotta trust me on this Michael. I know this first hand. I also know that this is an area where I need to improve on. I'm working on it... Nobody's perfect. In the short time that we've known you by reading your posts, we've seen you come a long way. It's nice seeing someone start out and move up the ladder. It's even better when there's a chance that something we said or did may have helped you get there. What goes around, comes around. I wouldn't be where I am now had it not been for those who took the time to let me in on a little secret.

  70. #70alco2008-02-02 04:34

    I'm just curious, what do you folks have for an electric shovel? Brian

  71. #71YoungOne2008-02-02 17:57

    Thanks for the long post. I only mentioned the shovel to him. Because he asked me about the " training " program i am in and how i like it. And how it could get better etc. I've always been a stern believer that " in order to be successful, you have to take the shovel from the owner " -Michael-

  72. #72YoungOne2008-02-02 18:00

    We have two P&H 4100's -Michael-

  73. #73101 operator2008-02-05 17:27

    Well I was thinking the same thing as pushcat, so I'm sorry. Let me tell you a few truths unsugarcoated. There is no guarantees in this business period you work hard all summer and save for the winter. I have done it all form dirt to asphalt I have worked year round and I have worked 8 months out of the year. I have been the new guy and I have been the supervisor, bottom line if you are a good hand you will have a job and keep it who gives a dang about some mismanaged halfbaked company we work to work oueselves out of a job and don't forget that. Next you are only 19 noone cares about how long you've done this or that, you have expirience and are willing to learn this is important no matter how much expirience you have I still see a 19 year old kid,then go out there and grab an 8 and start cutting final grade that would impress the heck out of me. Look into joining a union non union jobs pay the bills form week to week but you can't do this forever you are going to need benefits bottom line and when the union sends you out to work for a mismanaged half baked company that lays you off guess what you call in get on the out of work list and get sent out on another job plus you have the oppurtunity to train with qualified people for free people that want to see a young man like you get very skilled and carry on our tradition of craftsmanship. I would also like to thank you for defending the freedom that I enjoy to write this to you.:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa:usa

  74. #74Countryboy2008-02-05 21:28

    My non-union job pays my bills, and more, just fine.

  75. #75637slayer2008-02-05 23:42

    right on countryboy, wyo is a right to work state there is very little union presance, ive got friends and family who have worked their whole lives without a union and they are doing just fine. in regaurds to the health insurance issue ive been watching a senator i forgot where he is from but he has come up with a plan that on paper sounds great. to make a long story short it will turn health insurance into a buyers market like auto insurance through a government program that reimbursses employers for paying employees extra money on top of what they earn, for insurance. in theory the more people shopping for health insurance will create competition, hopefully keeping rates down, hopefully. wether it all works out or not is a different story, i really hope it does.

  76. #76CascadeScaper2008-02-06 00:01

    Things are different in other parts of the country, but non-union operators out here will never break $35 an hour. Journeyman operators baseline pay is $30.XX per hour right now and it goes up from there. The benefits, per hour, for my union at apprentice level is over $11.00 per hour. You just don't see non-union companies coming close to that at all.

  77. #77Countryboy2008-02-06 03:19

    It wasn't my intent to put down unions. I just wanted it to be clear that just because someone wasn't in the union doesn't mean they live paycheck to paycheck, as it seemed to be stated above. I don't have anything against unions, I just don't need them. I realize that union presence differs around the country. I don't hear much about unions around here so I can only assume that the presence is low. I just wanted to make the distinction that us non-union folks can scratch out a nice living too. Back to YoungOne's adventures in scratching out a living of his own.

  78. #78bjl142008-02-06 03:32

    YoungOne is this an aggregates company or energy mining company? Sounds like they have one huge operation with TWO 4100's

  79. #79YoungOne2008-02-06 09:53

    Actually we are a bit of both. We are lucky enough to be able to supply the energy business. As well as supplying rock/aggregate. Some sand etc. You name it. Our mine might have it. -Michael- Our mine runs 23 hours a day most days now. Up from 18 before. So i guess we're doing pretty good. And we are getting some 190 ton trucks, or bigger this month.

  80. #80YoungOne2008-02-06 10:36

    Always proud to serve the USA Thanks for your post. And yes alot of people see me as an 19 year old kid. Then i look back at the guys in the mine that are still driving trucks AND that's ALL. They operate, because they dont want to take the risk to move up. Or mess up. And they have been there for 10-20 years. While i am trying to run everything i can, and willing to move up. And LOADING those trucks. And the only reason their making more money than i am is because they've been there longer. Sorry i dont need a union for ambition. Money isnt everything i'll take my non union wages, and operate the equipment i operate. As a " 19 year old kid " I dont complain at all. And yeah, you check the grade for me, let me see the plans. Put me in the d8and let me cut the final grade. I'm not very confident usually. so i always leave it a hundreth high anyways, or a little higher. And no one has ever complained. Because when the building guys get there, their going to grade it up, and mess it up anyways. so yeah. But the point is, i will get in the 8 without hesitation and go for it i've been around older guys that hate doing final grade. And i enjoy the boss watching me the whole time while i work. If i mess up yell at me, if i do good. Call me mike. -Michael- :usa

  81. #81101 operator2008-02-06 12:17

    Well my first mistake was not realizing there was alot more to this thread I read the first few pages and replied to your wanting a job I am not here to start a war over union or non I was simply giving you my opinion of things you could do I was not beating non union down. It seems to me you are in a good spotand ought to stay there and stay on the course you have set for yourself. I have an 18 year old son to just qualify myself a little and we have been fighting the what am I going to do with my life battle no matter what you do or where you do it you need healthcare ins. and don't wait around for the government to give it to you, you also need some kind of retirement benefit if they don't provide it for you go to your local investment banker and start some things and keep contributing I think you can put 3000 in an IRA a year now tax free. You went from young one to kid to mike trust me tomorrow you will be old man and you will have 30 years under your belt and you will want to play with grandkids travel with your wife etc. it happens trust me and it happens just that fast I could talk for hours about it. I do have some regrets but then I love what I do I have had expiriences some men only dream about here in MO. noone ever had big Iron 9's were the biggest and they were in quarries not on road jobs then Macaninch came to town with 10's and 11's and 5110, 777's etc. and showed everyone around here how to move 100,000 yards in 24 hours. So there ya go

  82. #82101 operator2008-02-06 12:43

    Here are some pictures you can also go to http://www.modot.org/central/major_projects/Route5Progress.htm for more pics click on the months at the bottom

  83. #83Construct'O2008-02-06 13:23

    I hear you when it comes to young kid to old man!!!!!!! The thing i see with Mr. Mike that he has a the will to work and that gets you what you need and want faster then just talking the walk like a few. I have worked in Mo. a few times as non union and the outfits i worked for paid more then union at the time and furnished insurance besides.If i was to do it again,and now days i would probably join the union tho. With that said,i went the next step up as far as i'm concerned as owner/operator and have been doing business for myself for 33 years this year.Not big ,by no means,but always thought i could have been big time,but who knows ,never tried. I was comfortable being home every night with my family sleeping in my own bed,so traveling all over the contry side chasing the big paying jobs isn't everything either. My the way what state is big MC from anyway:cool2:usa

  84. #84YoungOne2008-02-07 01:32

    Thanks for your pictures and post. I really appreciate all the information. I just re-read what you replied too from my post. And i think the reason i said what i said was. Sometimes i get tired of being put in the " norm " Meaning I am almost always looked at by age, and not talent or experience, or want. My first day in the mine i told my pitforeman that was showing me around, " I'm here to do good and move up, but if i can't learn send me home. " And he said " That will be a change, try telling those guys that have been on the same grade machine for 10 years. They never want to move. " All of us younger adults arent lazy. MOST are honestly. But my love is yellow iron,green iron, heck, if you give me a pink dozer and a ugly green terex truck, I will use them both. Because i love equipment old, new. Anything with hydraulics, and a motor behind them. The future is what i am putting back for now. I am 19 years old, and just paid my 10,000$ car off ( alot for us young "kids" that dont fish in their parents pockets. ) And paying on 10 acres i just bought of land Those were my first two goals. That's what i wanted, that what i got. Now my goals are one day get out of the seat, and into superintendent/ pit foreman work ( i like mining:usa ) And get benefits and good pay. So i can one day have kids of my own, and hopefully never have to live paycheck to paycheck. To make a long story short is.. I wont lose in life, When i've been given the chance so many other's my age dream of experiencing before they DIE. Nice pictures, Big equipment. You work for a great company -Michael- Sorry for rambling... Sometimes i just get stereotyped into the lazy adult generation. And it gets to me.

  85. #85alco2008-02-07 02:27

    Something you might want to keep in mind. Not everybody who has been driving truck for 10 to 20 years are still doing it because they are afraid to move up or mess up. Some of them may be doing it because they enjoy it. I know a few operators who do nothing but drive truck for us, and the reason they haven't moved on isn't because they are afraid of haven't been given the opportunities......it's because they truly like what they do and don't want to do something else. Just something to consider. Brian

  86. #86YoungOne2008-02-07 11:05

    I see what your saying. I meant mostly from a financial point of view. In our mine, you get paid for what you run, and how well you run it. If they love driving the 777's then i am sure they will love the new trucks we get. But after hearing a few guys turn down a hoe or the grader that i'm on now. Maybe I just thought they were afraid to move up because that's what the foreman told me But either way, i am going to put in my time. And run everything they give me to run. And enjoy it... Okay maybe i wont enjoy the rubbertire dozer But anyways... Thanks for your post -Michael-

  87. #87Eric2008-02-07 21:36

    There is a fella driving in our mine, has for 37 years. He makes about $5 an hour more than me.... as he should for that many years of service. I had a offer to be a full time shovel runner for $3 an hour more than I make now, I turned it down. I love working straight days, thats worth a few bucks to me. Also just for reference, I have worked in or around mining for the last 13 years, I have always had a job if I wanted it. Nobody in our side of the state offers more benefits, pay, or job security. The mine on the other side of the county still has union rep and they make on average $3 an hour LESS than we do. Plus they have had massive layoffs twice in the last 10 years. The union here, let me stress this, HERE, is weak and the company has no problem using "scabs" in the past. Read the books about the Morenci strike back in the 80's. These union employees also pay close to $900 a month for insurance for a $1000 deductable. We pay $300 for $25 deduct. Having read through the forums concerning unions I see that union operators make almost twice my wage... and travel from job to job. I also see that the strength of the unions vary's from region to region. East coast seems to be significantly stronger than anywhere else. Bottom line for me is this... I am neither pro or con union, I am pro ME and my family. Depending on where I lived I would activly seek the best I could get for us.:usa

  88. #88Construct'O2008-02-07 22:44

    Just in case you want to compare McAninch big backhoe before it started working in MO. here is a picture of it at Ziegler Cat at DM ,Iowa. Little shiner then.Check th number behind the cab with this one and the other one posted.:usa

  89. #89roadrunner2008-02-08 00:04

    YoungOne; Sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders. Iknow and I'm sure everyone else can remember being your age and trying to prove your self on the jobsite. Word of advice to never turn down an oppurtunity to run a different machine. It will only make you understand what the other guy has to deal with when operating, and making you a better operator overall. "Just my 2 cents!"

  90. #90637slayer2008-02-08 01:11

    not saying that running alot of different equipment is a bad thing, i personaly believe that it takes years in the seat to operate a machine to its fullest potential. when you reach the point that your operating something new doors continually open, you start to see different ways that by doing the smaller things you can make the whole job go better, if your on a scraper pay attention to the blades windrow if you see a big rock pick it out for him, if his windrow gets a little thin in a spot put some dirt on the side hes blading toward, if your a younger guy get out once in a while and help the older frogs shovel their tracks, its good to want to be the best you can be but unless your on a one man project dirt moving is a team effort everybody needs everybody, by seeing the big picture and setting yourself up to have a more productive tomorrow, in a perfectly fair world the higher ups will notice all the little things and give you the chance to advance into the positions that you want, dont rush it pay your dues and have fun. and in a couple of years :drinkup

  91. #91Eric2008-02-08 21:21

    Good advice. I am still waiting to get a crack at a scraper, could be years!

  92. #92637slayer2008-02-08 22:21

    ive come to the conclusion that i will probably be on a scraper till i retire, if my body takes it for that many years, ide trade you in a heartbeat if i could load a big truck with your 994 or shovel or just sit inside your m.

  93. #93YoungOne2008-02-09 01:16

    Thanks for your post. Eric is right this is great advice. However i feel as though i have an oppurtunity in front of me i cannot pass up. I dont always want to be an operator, i want to get into management and make a little bit more money One day that is. And being able to operate the equipment i can operate now AND make production with them. I think i should take every oppurunity sent out at me. Just because ten years from now i dont want to watch another guy on the 4100, operate while i am in a haul truck 7 days a week. That's just my personal opinion. Nothing against haul truck drivers that enjoy it. But it's not going to make the money that the other machines can make in the long run. So as i have always said i want to LEARN everything i can. Whenever i get the chance too. And i know that i can't be a one man operation. And that every operator makes another operators day go alot easier in a perfect world. I am just taking the oppurunity before me. I've gotten to the point where i meet and exceed production standards every day right now. That's where i want to stay. I wont turn down any machine. I will get on what my foreman tells me to get on. And like it. -Michael-

  94. #94YoungOne2008-02-10 19:17

    Just an update. Still on the grader And loving it. An old bladehand has been staying after a bit with me showing me some tricks etc. with it. And i am getting alot of overtime. And making almost twice what i was with my employer every month. ( GO MINING! ) I got a raise because i am on the grader now. I was informed today that next week i will get my crack at one of the 4100 electric shovels when the operator takes a vacation day. Pretty excited about that. I also recieved a call today, from one of the only kyonite mines in the world only 1 hour from me. Offering me a job. So we'll see. I think i like where i am at right now. -Michael-

  95. #95Eric2008-02-11 22:37

    Alright! Just remember when you turn those brakes loose on that shovel, that beast comes ALIVE! There is so much to warn you about I don't have the room here. Few pointers, keep your the slack in your bale tight. Bale is what connects your hoist cables to dipper, if that rolls on you you will be in deep dooky. Take your time, everything is backwards. Have fun, listen to your shovel runner, I hope you get a good trainer, mine was a 47 year vetran of mining. I could write a 50 chapter book with what he passed on to me. You're gonna love it.

  96. #96YoungOne2008-02-12 01:23

    Thanks eric. My trainer has 15 years in the seat of the shovel. And is looking to train someone. Doubt i will end up there permanently for a long time. But i can dream. That is the same tips he told me also. About the Bale, and keeping it tight. He is going to show me hands on the next few days. And the mine is giving me the time to learn, with the danger of the big machine/ the need of operators who WANT to run it. Wish everything wasnt opposite though but i'm glad i have good teachers/ i can always ask you for help if i need it -Michael- your right im going to love it.

  97. #97Eric2008-02-12 22:36

    Anything I can do to help. Once you start dippin' and trippin' you may think of something, let me know.

  98. #98alco2008-02-13 01:58

    I wonder if you'll be able to beat a guy we have at work's record for the number of boom jacks in one shift? I would doubt it. he can be pretty brutal. I don't mean for that to be rude or condescending in any way. I just figure you'll get a few when you're learning. And please, for the love of god, don't forget about your trail cable. We had a new guy walk over his a couple weeks ago, and subsequently had an opening to fill the spot he vacated. Be thankful you guys have 4100 shovels. We have a fleet of 11 4100 series shovels, 6 hydraulics, and 3 495HF shovels with a 4th being built right now. All three of the current 495 shovels are broke down right now. One is in a bit of an emergency as it has a broken center pin and is being held up by shoring right now until they can get it undecked and repaired. I have to say, the 495 machines may be cheaper and easier to get, but they are always down.....I guess you get what you pay for. Brian

  99. #99Eric2008-02-13 11:18

    Last week our 4100 shot the sticks right through the saddle blocks, tore off the greenhorns.. Operator lost refrence to the crowd function and the sticks just kept on truckin. 2nd time this has happened. Careful pickin up yer cable too, seen alot of guys hit the stinger with the dipper. That's a pain in the arrs to fix.

  100. #100YoungOne2008-02-13 12:45

    I might get a couple of boomjacks but i doubt i will beat the record I just look forward to getting in the seat and taking my time. Seems like your company is happy enough witht he 495's to buy another one -Michael-

  101. #101alco2008-02-13 21:13

    Not quite, the penny pinchers only look at the up front cost and how soon it can be delivered. There was also an issue with them trying to teach P&H a lesson that they are not the only manufacturer out there.. P&H was giving them grief about some warranty work, and they decided the best way to hammer home the point was to give BI another shot. We had 3 395 shovels that were fairly good, but product support was next to nothing. BI was desperate to get back "in" with us, so cut the company a smokin deal. They have apparently ordered at least one more 4100 now, so maybe they are starting to learn...but I'm not going to hold my breath. Brian

  102. #102YoungOne2008-02-19 01:26

    I got my shot! Well today i got my shot running one of the 4100's. Had a decent shift with only one boomjack :usa The operator who got paid to make sure i didnt break it, said that i did good. Everything is opposite. And i just tried not to hit anything or break it. I did meet our mine's productions standards though. So i was happy with that. Also very happy that i am nineteen years old, and i am now " Mike " at the mine. Instead of " Get in there and do your thing KID " Just a great experience, and a huge piece of machinery. A true honor to do at such a young age. I might be in it all week. Just another update from me. -Michael- Walmart to the biggest machines made. Ambition can get you anywhere.

  103. #103RollOver Pete2008-02-19 01:56

    pics....

  104. #104jazak2008-02-19 08:30

    Read back..........he's not allowed.

  105. #105CaptDave2008-02-19 08:34

    If it was me, I would get the reference letter from him now. Why wait to get it later, they may not be around if they are in trouble.

  106. #106RollOver Pete2008-02-19 14:20

    I knew that.... Pics....:notworthy

  107. #107digger242j2008-03-04 06:58

    Somebody educate me here. What's a "boomjack"?

  108. #108Orchard Ex2008-03-04 20:17

    It's the thing between the bucket and the machine, and don't call me jack...:laugh I thought that it was when the cables got loose on a cable lift machine. I really don't know, but I wanted to do an "Airplane" joke. Now where's Squizzy?, he was supposed to be bringing the theme song for the forestry section...

  109. #109Steve Frazier2008-03-04 21:35

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=clPYfaTvHT0

  110. #110alco2008-03-04 23:37

    Orchard Ex pretty much has it. A boom jack is when a shovel operator extends the crowd too far and forces the bucket down onto the ground or into the face. Since a cable shovel has a suspended boom, it lifts the boom and slackens the support cables.....not to mention sets off alarms and sets your brakes on the shovel functions. In reality, sometimes it happens, but it really comes down to carelessness on the operators part. Brian

  111. #111npisteve2008-03-16 15:09

    Best wishes Good luck and keep plugging away. Your determination will be rewarded. Steve

  112. #112RollOver Pete2008-03-16 15:20

    Welcome to HEF npisteve :drinkup

  113. #113redline2008-03-16 20:26

    hey youngone how's things going at the mine?

  114. #114YoungOne2008-03-16 22:56

    Good i tried to sneak a few pictures today. Things are slowing down a bit i guess. Hearing about some layoffs. Wonder if itll be me

  115. #115Eric2008-03-16 23:26

    Keep your head up... they've been talking about layoff's at my mine since 1989. Layoff's are like bonus checks...... believe it when you see it. In the mean time keep your attitude up and stay at it, it will reflect in the people around you. Try to keep morale up. And if you do get sacked come work here in N.M. With your skills you'd be a sure hire.

  116. #116dozerman282008-03-18 18:14

    got any pics?

  117. #117morgsD6r2008-04-26 12:00

    wow if you stay with this mine for much longer you will be able to drive a space ship to mars. b s

  118. #118morgsD6r2008-04-26 12:16

    why would they make you run a D10N monday d11 R tuesday 777 wednesday 5130 hoe thursday friday 5230 shovel. just tell them you want to sit on somethink more than a day they need a new training progam and a good kick up the ass to who ever put that in place

  119. #119Dirtman20072008-04-26 20:08

    I think were all

  120. #120excav8r2009-12-05 20:50

    i happened to come across this and as a young operator (3) am curious was this guy lying or what ened up happening to him

  121. #121aongheas.macask2009-12-06 14:37

    Maybe he cant get a net connection from the spaceship !!!

  122. #122Truckie2009-12-06 15:12

    I’m not 100% sure but I believe the post starter Young One is serving over seas right now.

  123. #123jrtraderny2009-12-06 15:34

    He's back now and got another thread going. jr

  124. #124Truckie2009-12-06 15:40

    I did not see that before. Thanks for the update.

  125. #125jrtraderny2009-12-06 15:56

    You are welcome. jr

  126. #126hammerdwn202009-12-07 19:54

    Youngone, I think you and i have a lot in common. I too am young (23) and have bumped around a little between jobs. I was a mechanic for 2 1/2 yrs and quit once my boss let the health insurance lapse and i got 8 bad checks. A month before i quit i bought a new 07 dodge diesel. I was out of work for a month after that then i started with a landscaper doing paver patios and planting. I had used equipment any chance i could before then but i was getting paid for it now. Got laid off in the winter for 4 months. Even thought i was collecting unemployment i thought i was going to lose my mind. i was incredibly bored and never wanted to go through that again. Only lasted a year with that company and im glad i left when i did since they had no work this year. Now im working for a small contractor that has a contract with the postal service for the last year and a half. work is plentify. I do a little bit of everything from running equipment, moving it to the jobs(class A) repairing it on the rainy days and winter, welding and whatever else i can get into. My truck will be paid off in 2-3 months(thank god ive seen houses go for what i paid for this thing) and like you the next goal will be a house. Im sure you will find something soon and thank you for your service

  127. #127diggerman572009-12-12 15:19

    I hate to be a skeptic, but how many mines are going to put a 19 year old operator with no cable shovel experience in the seat of a 4100? He also said he met the production quota for the work shift during his first time in the machine. How likely is that to happen? I don't want to be a hater, but it seems like fiction to me, along with the rest of his story. I admit that I don't know much about working in mines, though I wouldn't think that would be standard training procedure. I really want to believe his story. It would've been a dream come true for me at that age. Hell, even now it sounds cool. How likely is that to be true? Can any mine operators tell me if I'm out of line by questioning this? I don't want to be rude, but I'm a little dumbfounded.

  128. #128alco2009-12-12 16:06

    No, I wouldn't say you're out of line by questioning it. His story did sound a bit far fetched, but maybe plausible right up to the meeting production quotas and not a single boom jack the first time in the seat. It was at that point that I wrote the whole works off as someone trying to BS their way through, and just getting deeper and deeper into the web he was spinning. Who knows, maybe some mines do train like that, but certainly not any I have been around.

  129. #129diggerman572009-12-12 16:41

    I was hoping you would respond alco. I figured if anyone could see through it you could. I have seen some people eat some serious crow on here so when it comes to calling out someone's socalled bs. So if I'm not completely sure I at least like to give the benefit of the doubt to the guy. Even if I thought it was bs from the start. One thing, among others, that sent a red flag up for me was that they had two 4100's and such small hall trucks. That didn't sound right to me.

  130. #130Eric2009-12-12 22:51

    Let's put it this way. Today I trained a young man on a 4100 for the first time. He, like most of us, is hardwired to swing with his left hand. Shovels swing with the right. It took several hours of him practicing IN BETWEEN trucks before I let him load his first one. It took him about 6 minuets to load. It normally takes 90 seconds to load a 793B truck. And this guy is a good operator. Sooo. Unless this guy is spectacularly gifted, and he maybe, I wouldn't put to much stock into his claims.

  131. #131Eric2009-12-12 22:53

    Not to sound like a complete jerk... Thanks for your service.

  132. #132alco2009-12-12 23:26

    I hear ya on the swinging with the wrong hand. My first time in the seat, I would go to swing and either trip the bucket or honk every time I went to swing depending on which way I was going. I haven't been on a cable machine in a while now, so I can only imagine it'll be the same deal next time I climb on. Took me a bit to get used to the clam pedal on the hydraulics too.

  133. #133YoungOne2009-12-20 21:33

    Hello everyone again. Since I noticed this post has obviously attracted more attention than I had originally anticipated I thought I owed everyone a reply. First off I want everyone to know that everyone in my Company returned home safe from Iraq. With no more than minor injuries. We built fob's moved and replaced over 5000 T-walls. Countless Hesco Barriers. Completed the work on the first groundbreaking engineering event to give the Iraqi people their country back. And traveled over 17,000 miles hauling equipment while in country. This I am most proud of. I have some but not alot of pictures of the projects we completed. If you are interested. For those questioning my experience. My posts. Me. I want you to know that I respect everyone of your opinions. I have said it since my first post. I am here to LEARN from you. I am a 21 year old, young KID. I fully believe that even war never made a man out of me, due to the fact. Im not putting food on one's table but my own. I am paying half if that the monthly bills that some require. To put a roof over their family's head, and food in their children's mouths. I have/ never had any reason to come on here and boast of my oppurtunities. Or lie about anything. The only thing worse than a liar in this world is a thief. I just thought I would share, so with the experience you have. I knew I could learn something. And I have. And i will continue to use this site to learn. I will take more pictures, when allowed. I am a rule follower, When not allowed to take pictures. I find it not worth the risk. For this I apologize. As for my looking for work thread. I returned home from serving in Iraq to the mine. By law they have to provide me a job after returning. And they did. Two weeks later I was laid off. I am now doing HVAC. Dryer vent cleaning, vent cleaning. Paying the bills that I do have. While looking for jobs within the USA in the construction industry. Im prepared to pick up and go anywhere in the USA to work. At any moment after christmas. This isnt the road I chose, It is the road I was given to follow to brighter days. Wider roads. I hope each of you will accept me here. As I still would like to post and learn from you. Michael You Dont Win Silver You Lose Gold

  134. #134special tool2009-12-20 21:49

    Wow, that's great. What company were you with in Iraq?

  135. #135YoungOne2009-12-20 22:01

    180th Engineer Company Powhatan VA