Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Goliath Bay

southview ยท 2010-04-12 16:01

I've heard many a story about the infamous Goliath Bay water sort and all the specialized equipment set up to make it work. No one though, has any photos! Anyone out there have pics of this fine floating monstrousity?

Replies17
  1. #1trakloader2010-04-12 19:49

    Where the heck is Goliath Bay??

  2. #2southview2010-04-12 19:58

    It's around Jervis Inlet. I believe it was a CZ operation but I'm not 100%. It was some floating sortyard with decks that would come up and float timber out of the water for scaling and bucking, then be sent down a line of floating juicers for sorting and bundling. Apparently quite the project....

  3. #3trakloader2010-04-12 20:12

    Ohhh... Okay, I have a whole bunch of pictures of that. I think it's that operation, anyway. I have pics of nearly every major operation on the Island, all on carousels of colour slides. It may be months before I find them, clean, scan, and post them....

  4. #4Contract Logger2010-04-12 22:26

    OK this I want to see! PS- southview's avatar is on fire!

  5. #5trakloader2010-04-12 22:50

    It may be weeks before I get these pics sorted out.... (groan)

  6. #6southview2010-04-13 13:15

    But I gotta see it Trakloader. From what's been described to me, it'll be worth the wait

  7. #7trakloader2010-04-13 20:11

    Well, from what I remember, it was pretty impressive. When I unearth the pics, you'll be first to know. Just wish I knew what box they're in...

  8. #8grapple12010-04-15 11:50

    I too had heard about this place. I would love to see those slides......

  9. #9trakloader2010-04-15 20:39

    Well, I had time to go through some of the boxes today. I found a whole set, complete with audio cassette, on the Madill steel spar. The next box, a giant spider scared me off before I got to sort through them! I tell ya, sorting through old stuff is more hazardous than logging! Once the cat kills the giant spider, I'll get back to sorting.

  10. #10Contract Logger2010-05-02 02:46

    Since you guys started talking about this I have been patiently waiting. Here's a thread bump/reminder, lol.

  11. #11trakloader2010-05-02 03:12

    Hopefully you have the patience of Job, my slide scanner is defunct.

  12. #12Contract Logger2010-05-02 03:15

    Bummer. Huge bummer actually. Some of my best stuff is on slides and I have no idea even where to take them:beatsme Good luck and let us know if we can donate toward a new one for you. I'll chip in $20- your pics here are priceless!

  13. #13TorkelH2010-05-02 10:35

    Scanning of slides Here in Norway the cheapest scanning-service when it comes to slides is about 50 cent for slides with frames. I'm going to send my slides (it's only 200) for scanning as soon as I find them. Hope you trakloader have the oportunity to do the same!

  14. #14trakloader2010-05-02 15:43

    I may as well live in Antarctica, can't get anything done here unless I buy my own equipment. It took a month just to get a DVD copied.

  15. #15southview2011-10-19 01:19

    Any luck with the slides trakky?

  16. #16jayturf2016-01-17 12:19

    Here are some pics of Goliath Bay that I had in my collection. They are pics of pics so the quality is terrible. I will be doing some high res scans and will be adding more pics as I get them. I recently started a blog about the local history that has yet to be recorded and hope to interview and share more pics of this operation, and others in the area as I get them. The source of these pics was the person who ran the cranes. His father apparently built the large crane that was attached to the bluff and he went on to run the self tipping barge cranes until his death. I am great friends with his son and many others who worked there so stay tune to a link to my blog when it's ready for lots more info on this fascinating operation.

  17. #17jayturf2016-01-17 15:12

    Here are some higher res images