Post your pictures of BC built logging equipment from Chapman, VIEW, Hayes-Lawrence, Westminster Iron Works, C.C. Murdie, G.M. Philpott, Burrard Drydock, Jacobs Brothers, and any other BC built equipment. This would include anything cobbled together in local shops, too.
Vancouver Iron & Engineering Works Sparmatic These were designed by Frank Lawrence, same guy that designed the Gearmatic winch, etc.
These pics were emailed to me, not sure where they were taken. I have some ViewSpar pics I took, but am having trouble finding them........
Norm West took those pics, but I'm not sure where they were taken.
Chapman 1800 They started out as Chapman Motor and Machine Shop, and built a lot of rock drills, etc. Later became Chapman Industries. I believe the 1800 was built using Lorain components, and I think they put together two or three as grade shovels, too. Later, they started selling Hitachi backhoes and built log loaders using Hitachi components. They were bought out by Cypress in the late 80's, they continued selling some of the Chapman machines under their own name. I have some pics here of their Drilmobile and Roc-Champ drills, but I'll have to scan them.
Look closely, the white spot at the front of the machine in the first pic is the operator's hardhat. In the second pic, you can see the platform that he stood on to drive it. Hand levers for steering, clutch, leveling jacks, and a hand valve for the brakes. Pretty exposed, and not even a seat for the driver! Still, you can see that they would be much easier to move around than a Madill, and have a longer pipe, to boot.
Great Great, all these forums are very interesting. Thanks a lot!
Mayr Brothers had a ViewSparmatic. I worked on it in 74. When you wanted to run the hydraulics the tires turned so you had to have it jacked clear of the ground when rigging up. Pretty good machine as I remember it but we had to spike one guyline. Didn't like that. I think they still had it in 85 when they went bankrupt the first time.
Unique Steel Spar My friend took this picture in Knight Inlet, in 1978. Truck is a modified Mack LRSW, yarder is a Berger, and the spar is a VIEW Sparmatic. Built in some coastal camp shop, but we don't know where or when, or by whom.
We have a machine which has a Chapman undercarrage on it. Does anyone know if Chapman manufactured their own track gear or did they buy CAT components? Ours look like D7 items.
One of Chapman's big items was their "Hydraulic Expando" carrier for tracked machines, but I don't know how much of it was actually made in house. I suspect the bulk of it was Cat or Terex stuff.
Chapman undercarriages were widely used in the late 70's and early 80's. Ross Equipment in Oregon/Washington sold many different lines that had Chapman under them-- Barko, Prentice, Bantam, Lorain, Thunderbird, etc, under mostly loaders but the PSY-200 and TMY-45 as well. Not sure what Chapman used, but Ross would measure everything and sell Berco as the replacement part for rollers, idlers, etc. Today Berco or V-Track will be able to help you. Less performance than Cat, but alot less expensive. Purely out of curiosity, what are you working on??
RMS Sidewinder I'm looking for information about the Rosedale Machine Shop (RMS) Sidewinder Swing Yarder. There's a few kicking around the Northwest States and i'm wondering if they'd be a good salvage yarder. Any info about ease of operation and problems would be appreciated.
Thanks for the info Contract Logger. The machine is a PSY 200. I put a few pictures up in the Thunderbird thread. It is the expanding undercarrage type and I remember seeing 1800 series on it somewhere. Rayb; Active Equipment had a sidewinder for sale not so long ago. They may have some information for you.
Is PSY200 the same as a RMS sidewinder? Hi Furpo: Is the PSY200 by Pierce (or Pacific ) a different machine than the Rosedale Sidewinder? There's a sidewinder for sale at Goshen Equipment in Oregon which peaked my interest. The Acme carriage website has lots of photos of their carriages in use. One series of photos shows "Hubbard Logging" using a yarder which appears to be the Sidewinder.
Definatly not, the PSY 200 is a medium sized yarder were as the sidewinder is quite a bit smaller. The first part of my previous post was a responce to a question from Contract Logger. I have only ever seen photos of the sidewinder however they appear to be a usefull little yarder. These would be getting a few hours on them now so you would be wanting to have a good look at the drums, drive mechamism (including clutches), chassis, and tower for signs of wear and fatigue. These are expensive items to replace compared to engines, etc. The tank carrier should be given a good look at too.
I would have to say that my favourite Yarder was the Sparmatic - we had two at Sproat Lake Division. I worked on them for a couple of years - they had something called a 'regenerater brake' I was told, which let you power off slack from your drums - it made getting slack on the mainline quite easy. On my last day as a logger, I had the pleasure of being involved in towering one down and because so many of us were being laid-off, there was celebrating going on - we got into the red wine. The operator - Tom - asked that I keep him company up at the driving end as we drove it down the mountain. This animal is a stand up affair and so off we went and the steering was via a hydraulic toggle valve. I even had a go at it. What could they do - fire me? Big tires on this beast and you had to put your control imputs in very gently or the thing would go straight and roll the tires right off the rims. Good to see pictures of it once again. I have a builder plate off the winch of one of them and it hangs on my basement wall - heavy duty bronze thing. It says K65 3 drum yarder- built Jan 7, 1966, s/n 406, built by Tyee Machinery in Vancouver, B.C. So I am imagining it as being a Tyee winch on a Sparmatic frame with a 120' pipe.
Another story... They were putting in a log dump down the Alberni Canal at Mactush Creek back in the '70s. If I remember right, the dump machine was made by Madill. From what I was told, when they set the 'A Frame' up, they used an old Sparmatic frame as a deadman offshore. Well, they hooked the wire rope to it and kicked the frame into the water and watched as the old Sparmatic slid to its final resting place. Thing was, they had no idea how steep it was offshore and the old gal kept on going! They might have had a thousand feet of cable on that thing and they lost it all. Had to go to plan 'B'.
The K65 was a great machine, lots of the early Madill spars came with them. I think all the Sparmatics had different yarders on them, seems no two are exactly alike.
Correct me on this one. Did these winches have 5 speeds? I got to work on them way past their prime but they still pulled well. I remember hearing them change gears as the turns were making the final run into the landing. I also remember opening up a hatch in front of the mainline drum and sticking in a pry bar to flick a 'butterfly gear' into another position to allow the machine to change from forward to reverse when driving them around. The best thing about them was the foremen always put the machine on the worst shows because of the 120' pipe and therefore cut you some slack - though I was a producer. It was fun being a young logger in his early 20's back in those days.
I think some of them had five speeds, but I'm not certain... I know lots of the K-166's did. Maybe check my Tyee thread, and see if the K-65 is there.
I've got a 'Tyee' builders plate on my basement wall as well as the K-65 bronze builders plate. That's the one that was shaped like the football - pretty snazzy design for those times. I would love to have one of those green/black/white S Madill stickers that used to be on the covers over the forward quarter guy line winches on all the '009 yarders. These got replaced by the all red stickers as that company headed toward its end - not as nice in my view.
Sparmatic These are shots of the Sparmatics at Sproat Lake Div.
VIEW Sparmatic at Rayonier Holberg Here's a dandy shot that was emailed to me this morning. Hopefully he can come up with a few more pics of it!
That's quite the shot you received. The size of the operator's cab surprises me - never saw one like that. The yarder which donated the pipe to replace the bent one from the above mishap, was yellow and came from the North Island. I'm curious how many of these Sparmatics were built.
I think that was the VIEW cab, used when a converted donkey was used for the yarder. One of the machines at Juskatla even had an old steam winch that was converted to diesel. I was told that only about 12 Sparmatics were built, but I think that's wrong. Probably more than 20.
A bunch I think. I know of at least 15 that came to the States, - Crown Z had 2, Weyerhaeuser had 2, Mayr Bros at Hoquiam had one, Roseburg Lumber in Oregon has or had a fleet of them- with mostly big Skagit hoists. And there were a lot of one-side contractors that had them in Oregon and Washington that I ran across over the years. Wish I had taken more pics! That cab was big enough for the crew to eat in at lunchtime!
Mike Walch of Ranier Rigging has 4 Sparmatics sitting side-by-side in Auburn Washington at his place. -2 are Orange/Green/White and are ex-BCFP machines with Washington hoists. Still have BCFP logos and the whole works. Have pics somewhere of these. -One is the ex-Mayr Bros machine with a Washington hoist- painted Yellow/Green. -4th and last one has a Skagit IJ-90 hoist and was purchased from a contractor from Port Angeles. I have pics of this machine working (found, but not scanned yet). Mike owns lots and lots of yarders, 75 or so there last time I visited. He was trying to aquire the Roseburg units as they were phased out. I suspect we would all be shocked to see build numbers......more than we think maybe.
Back in the '90s... I did a hunt for some information on Sparmatics back in that decade and happened upon this fellow who had bought all the rights for Tyee, Sparmatic and a few more designs. He was quite the story teller and he quizzed me on who I knew in the industry - it would appear that we ran in different circles. What he had in his office was an old wooden file card cabinet - identical to what you would find in a library in the old days - and this was full of all the build records from everyone. He might have pulled out the records from the J-87 & J-88 that I worked on at M & B and showed me the build details. What I deduced from all of this was that there were quite a few built. Am I wrong? Anybody know the guy?
Hmmm..... That must have been before John Edwards bought Tyee, tried to build a grapple yarder, and went broke.
If John Edwards was the guy who set up in Delta - big facility on River Road - who went broke, then this is the guy who came in behind and bought the pieces in the hope of making a go of it. From what I can tell, the market for new equipment had vanished and so this guy was sitting on the plans and the rights to all these machines. I doubt he ever put his big plan into action which was to produce new machines but he was building parts at the time I visited him.
Old iron in the bush Here is an old donkey that is on Gilford Island, we were logging near it so hiked in to have a look. Tag said it's Westminster Iron Works. Had a new-er engine in it as we found an old "Buda" motor down over the bank. the wooden tree had long fallen down and following the lines down the hill was a smaller yarder ( redish one ), story told was two brothers owned the operation and one was killed, looked like they shut down and never came back. pic's taken in 1984.
You need to talk to Monte at Eagle Carriage in La Grande, Or. He worked on one for awhile, knows a load about it. PM me and I'll give you his number.
location Hello were is Gilford Island? great old piece of iron
Gilford Island is located North-East of Telegraph Cove - between Tribune Channel and Knight Inlet. I could see the Island when I went whale watching this year
Old iron in bone yard Yes looking on most maps shows Echo Bay, Weldwoods camp was one bay over from there. Heres a pic of an old skidder that was sitting in Friel Lake log's bone yard, looks like a tough piece of iron to operate!
I dont think I would have liked to spend much time on that!!
That's either a Westfall Performer, or a KW. The little red yarder in your other picture is a Lawrence 10-10, by the looks of it. The old ones were that cherry red colour, after Hayes bought them out they started painting them yellow.
Tyee Yarder Here are a couple of youtube videos of the Dennis Hayes Tyee YouTube - Dennis E Hayes logging Ltd - Tyee Hauler - Scabbing.MPG YouTube - Dennis E Hayes logging Ltd - Tyee - Sky Line System #2.MPG
Nothing on this thread in ages! What the heck?
I would love to know the story on that skidder?!!?
That's either a Westfall Performer, or a Kenworth. I'd suspect the latter, as the KW was more common in BC. KW bought the rights from Westfall, if I remember right, and built them at Canadian KW in Burnaby, BC. I've heard that only six were built, but I think there were more. There were at least two up here, Skadill found one, and there is the one in the above picture. I know of one more on The Island that was scrapped, plus one in NZ. Hey, that's six, so you never know!
Buildings of Old The Opsal Steel Building is one of the last remaining original structures from the logging equipment manufacturing era in Vancouver. I remember the Osco blocks from my Y & L days - especially the " Tommy Moores" that we used when we towered up the yarders. I drove by this building many times over the years, hoping some bugger wouldn't burn it down and it would seem that my wish has come true. They're in the process of rebuilding it into a mixed residential/commercial unit, and I hope to be able to drive by and see the old sign on the wall when it's done. Too bad more of these places weren't saved. Another discovery of mine was in one of the old parking barns on Granville Island. Up on the wall was a sign which said Vancouver Iron & Engineering Works (VIEW - makers of the Sparmatic). I've tried to find the sign again several times over the years but to no avail. Wonder where it went.
Hey Clint, this summer I have attest for you. You mentioned "cobbled together in a local shop," well I know a guy who built his own pole yarder, everything himself. It has so many controls etc. The drivers cabin is something to see, curved wood floor. I'll get some pictures asap. Maybe even in the next few weeks. Also, it works like a charm, except for that it burnt :/ It has a Cummins, and you know how i like them.
Vancouver Built I thought that I'd post this here to show where these machines were originally built. Look at the address at the lower right hand corner of the page. I guess they eventually moved out to Burnaby and then who knows where. Whenever I used to go down to Granville Island, I used to look at the buildings and try to figure out what went on there in the old days. I saw a photo once of a Shay locomotive being barged in and brought inside for overhaul in the main market building. If you look up in the overhead beams, you can still see the old cranes that were used. I guess most shoppers don't look for these things.
That's really neat, thanks for posting it! Tyee stuff is pretty hard to find.
That was a photo-copied sheet that Doug Ruskin (who was handling Tyee parts out of Burnaby) handed to me, during my visit with him many years ago. He gave me a copy of the last Tyee brochure as well - which I have seen posted on this site somewhere. I'll give you a copy of that sheet.
1971 Rosedale 60 Yarder Built in Rosedale ,B.C. Eastern Fraser Valley.This was a one company owned machine till a few years ago.It had a 4-71 Detroit, 4 drum yarder,Lawrence 10-10 drum set,Allison trans.It went through RB auction,Surrey,B.C. It sold for only 3500$ along with a Washington 78A as well,same price,went to Washington or Oregon
i work for Opsal Steel ,(third generation) i had the pleasure of moving everything out of the old building to our new shop in Surrey, lots of memories in that building , there is plans for them to salvage part of the old barn
Wow - third generation. Are you from the founding family? Does Opsal still build the products of old or have you people branched out away from this side of the business? I always enjoy seeing that old barn whenever I drive by. It's one of the last remaining structures from a by gone time.
1965 Timber Toter I'd say the "Timber Toter" definitely qualifies as obscure.
My Grandfather and his Brother designed and built these skidders under the Westfall name. We actually have a working model at our farm that I helped rebuild many years ago. I think it is powered by a Cummins 250 naturally aspirated if I remember correctly. They did sell to Paccar and for a short time were marketed under the Kenworth name. It is actually a fun machine to drive. They were exceptionally fast for their size(top speed around 45mph). I remember my Grandfather telling me that their dry weight was 45.5 tons with blade attachment and boom arch. He told me that alot of times he would delivery machines to customers simply by driving them to the location. We still have the old marketing materials and photographs of him and their crew working these machines.
Don't tease us! Post some of that stuff, and pics, too! The fellow that I talked to said the KW was the greatest machine, much better than the LeTourneau. I think that one had an oddball Cummins, a 225 or some such. Another one I found had a Perkins, but I don't think it was original.
I will dig some stuff up in the next few days when I go and visit my Grandfather. I can throw some pics up of the one we rebuilt. It isn't the most prettiest girl in school, but gets the job done. It was in very bad shape when we got a hold of it from a scrap yard here in Oregon. The biggest advantage of it was it's speed and manuverability in places that other equipment had a hard time getting around in, plus you can wheel steer or skid steer anytime you wanted to.
Sparmatic Another VIEW Sparmatic, MB&PR Sproat Lake.
Thanks for posting that shot Trackloader. I'm imagining that it is an early shot of either the J-87 or the J-88. I can't say that I recognize the valley that it is in. They pulled like anything when they were new from what I was told - snap 3 beads like it was strawline if you had a hang-up. I'm hoping to see more pictures of these things in service from some of you operators of yester year.
It's hard to say; If it is J-87 or 88, they must have not come with the Tyee K65 yarder. It's hard to tell, but I'd almost say that one has a Skagit yarder. Looks like Cummins power, as it has a single exhaust. I'll inflate the picture for a closer look.
I promised some pictures of the Westfall Performer... . My Grandfather Jack playing with the machine...
Having Technical Difficulties with forum.
Nothing there! You may need to make a few more posts before you can post pics.
A new Performer at a Logging Conference somewhere in the North West circa late 50's? Maketing Sheet Front Page Back Page
I have to relate a conversation that I had today. I was copying a logging manual today at a store, and I noticed a familiar face at the next machine. This was a lady, who previously worked with my spouse - we started to chat. She noticed what I was doing and commented that her Daughter and a few other UBC Forestry students had tried to put together a proposal to convert the above building into a Forestry Museum - when the reconstruction was in the planning stage. They applied for funding but were turned down..... The dream died right there it would seem. Too bad that all this history is never going to have a place to be displayed.
Euclid Rock truck with a B.C. twist.From the RB sale a week ago. GW Cox and Sons Logging
Euclids Some neat off highway oddballs.Shared picture,dont know the details,looks old though.
Those look like purpose built loggers. Euclid dabbled in logging trucks from time to time over the years, always in small quantities. I seem to recall that they only built three of one model. Cattermole Trethewey ran some. There was one outfit in BC that ran them for years, but I can't remember their name. I'll find out.
Butler Bros had one that I know of back in the 70's
I remember hearing that there were Euclids in Narrows Inlet at one time, 35 tonners. And that a Dan Arnison had some in Squamish, maybe the same ones?
I saw a Euclid logger along the highway in a yard in Squamish around 1994,its partialy barely visible in the background of a Hayes I took a pic of.I thought it so so "out there" and didnt fit in that I purposely didnt photo it then,oops.There is a pic of one in a book I have that says W.L.W. Contracting on it
In 2000 in Squamish, I saw 2 that were parked / parted out - sadly they were all most scrapped
There was one parked in Campbell River last year but that may have been GW Coxs .Will look today as I go by.
I just gotta figure out how to convert pics so they can be posted here !!!! I was lookin at some of them I had stashed away for quite some years and all I can say is HOLY COW Some bell ringers. That LT 4 unit above was at the Marine Link barge ramp just north of Campbell River when she came down from wherever she was and had about a 60 foot reach and a seven foot "Bullprick" I couldnt help but think what a pleasure that baby would be to come off the top with. It had to be used on the lowlands some where doing bullcook stuff. The Ultimate "Penalty Box"
On the Kenworth thread, pics 181, the Euc in the back ground has green parts on it from one of those trucks in Squamish, we used that old girl for hauling debrie from the sort, took quite a beating. Before Powell Daniels got it a road builder had it, remember it up in Secuity Bay, sorry can't recall the name right now. Do remember that some one scratched their name and date into the dash was 1966.
The original Single Axle Euclid. Euclid at Alaska Pine Co.Lima shovel,Moresby camp,Cumshewa Inlet 1958
That big Lima crane, it's almost identical to the one Grandpa ran. They were originally draglines used for dredging river gravel for capping roads. Since they were big and could lift a lot, they started converting them to loaders in the 50's. Some got those Young Bohemian Booms, others got railroad track added to the original crane booms. That's what they did on Grandpa's, but the boom eventually collapsed with a huge spruce under it. That Euclid is neat. I think it may be a converted rock truck, since it seems to have a short wheelbase. The purpose built logger had a longer frame. Hard to tell from that angle, though. Interesting that it has a preload trailer, too. Moresby Camp had some unusual equipment. I found an Eimco overshot loader there. I guess they used it for loading gravel trucks.
Horrible Old Debris Truck Hey HDX, how'd you like to trade H-17 for THIS fine piece of machinery? It appears that someone went to the trouble of converting a 1940's Euclid to tandems, and created this monument to bungee cords, haywire, and black tape. I think this was at Dinan Bay, but I'm not sure. Maybe DBDLS will know all about it. Notice the Poclain loading it looks to be brand new, must be late 70's.
Dominion log loader add Just thought I'd put this in here.
That's really neat, Cam! I didn't know that Pacific made those rubber mounts. I saw a picture once of an identical one under a Northwest, didn't think it was a Pierce, but had no idea. Any more treasures like that in your collection?
There is still some stuff put away, mostly still in PR, so a little hard to get to. Have one you'd like of a wall map of Canadian Kenworth showing all their dealerships across Canada, being tacked to my old bedroom door for 35 years. going out sometime this sumer.
Old Euclid logging brochure
Pic Euclid fire truck - Englewood Div. back in summer 2005 - Beaver Cove
Washington Slackline Yarder on VIEW Sparmatic Carrier This slackline Washington started its life logging in Canada in a location long forgotten. It was later aquired by its second owner- Mayr Brothers of Hoquiam Washington and logged there until the big auction at Mayr Bros- 1984 I think. Mike Walch of Auburn Timber was always running 12 or so yarders in those days, and he picked her up at the auction and last logged with it in the Tacoma Watershed in the later 1980's. He has some great video of this rig working and hopefully I'll get the Rusty Grapple site going enough to add his videos- we're working on that now. Mike has pulled the hoist off the VIEW now, and while the VIEW is long gone the hoist does exist and may work again- mounted on something more mobile and easier to move over the highway. I have more and better pics of this yarder, but connot find them at the moment.
Good Used Slackline Yarder on VIEW Sparmatic I have no idea what we are looking at here because the make and model of the yarder is not disclosed. I cannot imagine paying for an ad if you aren't going to fully describe your item being sold, but someone certainly did just that. It looks like a Washington or Tyee, but could easily be an old Berger. Just not sure. Scanned out of an anonymous 1972 trade publication over the weekend.
The Bones of Several Sparmatics I was told today that Roseburg Lumber at one point owned at least 10 Sparmatics with Skagit, Washington, and Berger hoists- but mostly Skagit slackline machines. I do remember seeing a Loggers World at some point featuring these machines, but is was years and years ago like 1982/83 ish- I'd never seen a Sparmatic and really didnt know what I was looking at. Mike Walch has owned 6 different Sparmatic machines- Washington and Skagit hoists on his, but they have been scrapped now and are all gone. Here are some pics of remains of 3 of his machines taken in the 90's. I didnt appreciate them then and wish I'd paid more attention and taken more- and better pictures.
I was chatting with an old friend on the phone today and we were talking VIEW and Sparmatic- I called him and told him we were looking for an intact Sparmatic to save for a museum project as they are quickly becoming non-existant. He thinks he knows where 2 are -complete with Washington hoists- and he'll let us know over the next few weeks. He would have given us the complete Mayr machine seen above for free had he known we were looking for one- he's a proponent of saving things this way. Too late by a couple years on that one. Mike says that in the early 1960's Berger aquired the Porta-Tower from Hyster and was kicking tail in the tower market with this thing. Skagit also was making progress with telescopers and Washington felt they were falling behind- they were using a Madill-style non-telescoping 90' tower at the time on the very few towers they were selling. Most Washington yarders were going onto Berger towers or Skookum/Madill spars as we have all seen. View had designed a revolutionary new telescoping tower that sat in a ball-and-socket base and it was a great new design. VIEW was selling fewer and fewer towers as they did not offer a yarder hoist of thier own to mount onto it. He says Washington Iron Works was the licensed VIEW dealer/distributor in the US and that Washington purchased this new VIEW tower design to used on the new '158 and 208 Integral Spar/Yarders' and that everytime I see a 158 or 208 Washington I'm looking at an improved VIEW-designed tower. I had no idea, but Mike would know as he was there and buying Washington's in those days. Interesting stuff- Washington introduced thier 'Integral Spar Yarder' and VIEW was out of the tower business all in one fell swoop. Would have been 1967/68 ish.
VIEW didn't actually design the Sparmatic, Frank Lawrence designed and built the first ones at the Gearmatic factory, in Newton, BC. The first one was unveiled in October, 1959, with much fanfare. Apparently, he had radio, TV, newspaper, and trade publication people there for the unveiling, as well as government officials and reps from various forest companies. It was touted as the first mobile spar to use the same engine for both yarding and travel, and was said to be able to drive anywhere a logging truck could go, and be logging within 20 minutes. (!) I'm not sure how VIEW ended up building them, but they started early, about 1961. I suspect that the Gearmatic plant wasn't up to the demand? It would sure be nice to find a survivor, thanks for your help, CL!
As you say 1959, how old do you think my yarder is?
That is deffinatly a Sparmatic. It has the right axles and wheels, the 3 guyline drums in a row all across the frame. I know you know it's one but I'm just saying to others who don't know-that's how you can tell to see if you know where one is.
From what I've noticed, VIEW Sparmatic used one basic frame design. Always 3 chain driven spockets on the rear with 2 drums each located on the inside of the frame. The basic huge spockets on the inside part of the rear axle. The basic axle and wheel/hub they use. The A-frame spar frame, usually over the rear drums. I think I've covered the basics of most of the VIEW Sparmatics, trakloader and Contract Logger would know more. Also, this is what I recognize one by.
ContractLogger; why don't you just use youtube for videos, it have been working very fine for me the last three years, and you get as good quality as you want. If I upload some really big files (2Gb) I put them on upload over the night.
And don't forget, always two tall jacks at the rear, and one under the front. Nigel, I really think that the Carsonomatic may be from 1959. I will have to do more research to confirm my theory, but I believe that it may be one of the very first ones built. I also think that the picture of the Sparmatic that looks like the Carsonomatic, may be a picture of the first one built. But, again, more research..........
Oh right the jacks :tong And please do some more, the one in the picture is the same model, might not be the same one. Thanks.
Water Tanks These slip on tanks were made to instantly convert your HDX, P-16, or 848-849-850 to a fire truck. The trailer under this one was put together at M&B QCD. I have no idea who built the tanks, but they're fairly old, early 60's vintage. Anyone know the builder?
Remains of a drill I think this is one of the early Traxxon tank drills.
Trakloader Drag that old fire tanker trailer over to your stash She is a museum piece in its own right. Everybody built them even Pacific Truck and Trailer supplied them. Alberni Engineering Hayes any machine shop that could usually did. Our Preload fire tanks were all built here in Port by Alberni Engineering Very good tanks Still 4 spread all over the claim down here. Just dont have anything to haul them with anymore
Rare Yarder Lantec yarder built on Cat 225.
what a waste of a 225 its a new excavator and then they rip it apart thats a real waste of a 225 whats the piont just get a madill
Lantec built them on 235's, too.
When you buy a Madill you are buying more than one (replacing it all the time). But I agree about the 225.
I loaded logs under a Berger 25Y, it used the lantec all hydraulic drum set. I was impressed with the machine at the time, it wasn't a high production machine or very fast,but it could be moved with a straight two axle lowboy. It was built on an American hydraulic excavator and had the haywire drum mounted part way up the side of the boom. It used radial Staffa hydraulic motors no brakes, and did a respectable job of logging with a running skyline. It had some trouble downhill logging as the hydraulics would cavitate causing some eratic movements on the rigging. When the mechanic came out to fix this problem he said that there were only 5 or 6 of these ever used by Berger.
The little Rosedale yarder ended up in Oregon I looked at it last week, it's a very unique little machine. Sad thing is it will most likely will be scrapped soon. The asking price is not terribly out of line, but money has been tight and work sporadic at best. I would really like to know more about Rosedale Machine Shop and the other machines they produced. I went and looked at the sidewinder at Goshen Equipment and there are a couple of the Ecologgers just down the road all very interesting machines.
The way it is With production being King and labour the enemy,its very doubtful,these types of yarders will ever make a commercial comeback.It sad though a gypo outfit could get a cheap little tower,bid a small timber sale and keep a little crew working for a season,but today that volume needs to be out in 5 weeks or less.The economies of scale favor larger lean mean efficient operations.This stuff probably only survived through the 90's because log prices were so high for a good spell then.
We are all adding to this big pot of logging equipment soup here,each piece adds flavor and a uniquness.Whether or not someones engineering or design was cutting edge or fell by the wayside,they all have a place and led to the next generations and models of equipment and design.To be above or show disgust for a unique piece of logging equipment that people put hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions into designing, plus the years to build it and bring it to life has great value and is a very admirable.The easy thing was to do nothing. But Loggers are innovators formost and harvesters of timber second.Please try to find some enjoyment in the great history and ideas here that cost most of us nothing.As loggers,if someone is making the effort and doing their best in the industry to find a better way,we would never make light of,or belittle that. This is in response to the 225 swinger comments
I agree with skadill 100 percent every pice of iron has it advantage
Conversions were quite common back then,when there were no mass produced units for specific applications......now if you could trade that 225 in for some punctuation,we'd all be winners.
There was a 225 yarder for sale down here a few years back. Im unsure what happened to it.
i didnt no cat had a yarder cool.
Tmm 850 Speaking of Obscure, Rare. How about this machine? Thank you to the folks at Forestech for these pictures of the one and only T-Mar 850 cable log loader. I remember poking around this machine when it was brand new. I thought the Detroit Series 50 engine was a good choice for power. Too bad the people at Detroit Diesel didn't keep making that powerplant. I sure loved the sound it made. Hopefully someone can get some more pictures of this machine where ever it is now.
I seem to recall hearing that two were built, but never heard who got the other one. I do have the T-Mar ad from Trucklogger magazine showing this machine when it was new. Kinda looks gone to seed now....
Who Owned This? Would that machine be painted in my beloved Mac & Blo red? Where was the picture taken? Gees, I have to get me out of the city and go find some nice logging roads to explore...
Yes, M&B owned that one originally, but I can not remember which division had it... ???
Who Were They? I don't remember ever hearing about T-Mar until I started seeing the name on the 'net several years ago. I just sort of guessed that they were some sort of equipment retailer based up-Island. Obviously they were into it bigger than I thought. So when did these line loaders come into play? At the end of the line machine days and before hydraulic powered machines?
T-Mar was big on converting Ko-Joke-Ho's into log loaders, and rebuilding grapple yarders. They built the TMM850 pretty late..... I believe they were the last line loaders ever built, without digging up my old magazines, I would say 1996-7? DBDLS should know for sure.
Were these Loaders built from scratch? I'm surprised that Mac Blo would have gone for something old school that was being replaced by a newer technology (hydraulics loaders). Which divisions ran them?
The engine room and the drums sure look a lot like a 7230 with Tmar gantry and boom and cab.
Sparmatic 110 Interfor in Hope BC. 1 of 3 made. Modified by taking some stuff off. Skagit winch Used for tightening skyline on long distance skyline. Cummins 450, was a 335 Would sell whole operation with carriage. He trucked it from hope BC. 92,000lbs Brought it here (Valemount BC) in 1992 Works fine, just no work for it.
Trakloader, once again I have to defer to your vast collection of knowledge. All I know is I came across this machine at Menzies Bay Division not too far from the shop. I dug through all my old photos and have nothing on the machine. Must have been in a "If it's not a Madill, I won't take a picture" mood. So short sighted. The most recent information I have, from SVL (who knows everything there is to know about logging machines), is that Russell and Lilly from the Tahsis area were the last owners of this machine. I believe that one of the Mantles was involved in its design so I would expect there would be a lot of similarities to the 7230. If you get a chance to check out your old magazines you would be pretty close on the dates. Perhaps jackd or Murk may come across this machine and get us some decent pictures. Thanks, DBDLS
Hayes yarder Saw this in the bone yard and had to get a few pics. Still looks useable.
Just to let everyone know that there is a drawing of T-Mar's new grapple yarder in the Fall 2011 issue of the Truck Logger BC magazine. I put in a call to T-Mar so I could put the picture up for everyone to see but have not received an answer. I'll give the brief specs and my interpretation of how the machine looks. The machine weighs in at 100,000 lbs (about 15,000 lbs more than a Madill 120), has CAT diesel power, side by side mainline drums (like the 6280 and 7280) and what looks to be a rear tilting engine enclosure. At a quick glance it looks very similar to a Madill 120 with a lattice type boom, a swiveling haulback fairlead and staggered roller fairleads for the mainlines. Cab looks very similar to the 120/124 with the ability to tilt for transport. Cab guard is similar in design to the 120/124's, but considerably taller. It has a topping line (never did understand why Madill made that optional on the 120) and guyline winches mounted in a frame at the bottom of the rear gantry legs. All in all a very nice looking design. I hope T-Mar can sell enough of these so that we can set up a separate page for their line machines in this forum. So everyone going past T-Mar's yard keep your eyes peeled. Here's wishing T-Mar all the best with their new yarder. DBDLS
There was only (1) TMM850 ever built, The original designs are based on a crawler with a conventional loading boom, or super snorkel. M&B Menzies Bay ordered the machine but wanted a long boom for what ever reason, and wanted rubber tired carrier for mobility purposes. TMM represented Tmar / Mantle, from when Tmar bought Mantle Industries. Jim Mantle did the design work. The machine then sold to Russell & Lilly in Tahsis, who now have it for sell in Campbell River at the Forestech Yard. You can see it on their website now.
Rosedale Ecologger Built in Rosedale B.C.Video walk around at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM26pCW9iuc
skadill NO NO NO NOT THERE No logs there just sad stories Drive or drag it away from there fast VERY FAST!!!!! This is a very unfriendly environment for such things unless of coarse they intend to yard old Maytag one lungers around with it
I know,these places have no sentiment for the beloved pieces of B.C.If a Hayes came through,they would go straight at it.At least we're all helping to build a long lasting video Museum here,that can be seen by all and no scrappers can get
You're killing me Skadill. I've been looking for something just like that for quite a while. I even had a guy call last month wanting me to build a tube to replace his, but the price of new steel scared him off. Love the pictures anyway, even if they were hard to see through the tears.
hi really neat piece of equipment
1931 kenworth Hi Back and welcome to the site Hope to hear lots of good stories about Kenworth Trucks and stuff HDX
Ecologger Here are two different ecologgers. The first is parked up in Masterton. The first I knew of the machine it was owned by Dennis Glen then Tuckey Contracting. It is currently owned by FOMS. I have operated this machine previously. The second is currently for sale in Taupo and is on a Clark base.
insley model l insley model l excavator which has been converted to a line loader in eastern bc.
Reply to Page 1, Post #5 That's Hope division, Interfor's 1800 pictured in that brochure shown in the original post, and it was operated by Warren Rigby. When it was brand new (77?-78?) it came with a little mosquito spray sized can of Chapman blue touch up paint! I remember that a bunch of bigwigs from Chapman were coming to take pictures of it one day and in the hours before, Rigby was out painting up the rub marks where the counterweight had rubbed the pile. All of the then Whonnock Lumber Company equipment to that time was the company green, so I had the idea that it was the aquiring of this machine they were so proud of that led the company to change colour schemes to the blue and white seen to this day in the rebadged Interfor. I don't know this, it just seemed that way at the time. (can anyone confirm or refute this?) Interfor ran their 1800 until about 2004 by which time it was such a leaky heavy worn out old anachronism that I believe it was scrapped. It had a Jimmy that ran full bore all day and ate fuel like the Queen Mary and it traveled slow as a glacier. The expando track that Chapman was so proud of, turned out to be pretty much useless. Anything the machine couldn't swing with the track base the way it was when inboard, you had no business hanging out over the bank anyway. After the first few times climbing down and expanding the tracks, Rigby never bothered to use it and eventually they just welded a cover over the expando levers. I have that brochure shown, found at the truck loggers convention by my buddy Drew. Though you can't see in the scanned version, it shows me in the background, filing my saw. That picture was taken up Flat Creek, Jones Lake.
Trakloader View Sparamatics , BCFP had 1 at Port Renfrew 1 at Pit Lake 2 at Caycuse (with IJ 90 winchs ) Rayonieer had 1 at Port McNiell Percy Logging had 1 at Powell Lake might have had others in other camps as they had at lest 4 for camp when I worked for them in mid 1970s . They only had 1 Madill all there steel towers were Skajits Tyees or View Spars. Those are the ones I ran across between mid 1960s to late 1970s while supporting float plane companies.
Tahsis Co had one in Zeballos (slack line) One in Gold River (not sure if it was slack line or not) . Rayonier had one in Mahatta with Madill 009 winch
075 I could be wrong but I think all the 120 ft. View Spars were capable of being used for slacklining . I dont Know about the one at Pit Lake ( I only worked on it for a day I hired out to pull rigging , when I got out of the Crummy I walked out on a boom stick hanging over the edge of the landing looked straight down at the tail blocks under me and anounced I was there today but I wont be back tommarow ) it was highleading at that time . I know the one at Port Renfrew was a highlead yarder . The two at Caycuse were used as slackling towers they had the IJ90 winches on them . I remember one time that one of the Caycuse had a problem with the skidding line fairlead they brought the Caycuse unit over to the " Hiicrest Gate" on the Harris Cr. M/L and the Renfrew unit was parked along side it, the shop crew swapped towers over the weekend . As the #690 Renfrews Veiw Spar was equiped with a skidding line fairlead that had never been used.
Weldwood at Squamish I think this is a Sparmatic hiding behind the cold deck pile. shared pic 1960's
Empire Logging Found another one, Empire Logging, Weldwood Squamish.
Hi the 3 euclids belonged to Bill Graham and brother they were leaving chamis bay and I was coming in that is my 1966 P16 half in the picture. It was Rudy Deerings camp Friell Lake Logging.Can t remember the year.
When Bill Neil pulled out of Butler Brothers at Sooke in the early 1970's , they were desperate for trucks . Bud Graham and his sons Bill and Les bought three Euclids or Terx log trucks and Jim Brandon the Super bought one . About 1976 Pacific Logging took over the logging at Sooke and brought in some Kenworths from Alberta . The Euclids of Grahams left soon after Jim Brandons Euclid was bought by Pacific and became known as "The Green Bean" so those pictures would be in the late 1970's.
Do you still have ecologger?
Looking for RMS ecologger in or near BC anyone know of any?
http://eugene.craigslist.org/hvo/4340496062.html , Eugene Oregon craiglist add. check it out. RMS? what does that stand for?....TIO
I believe RMS is for Rosedale Machine Shop. Doug
Dave Graham @ Evans Bay Contracting in Homfray Channel has one parked.
one is running in Homfray Channel BC
Cat 769 logger This truck did show up somewhere here before,but here is a 1969 article by Finning on it.Taken from the 1969 Tracks and Treads magazine.
continued the rest
Crawler Buncher An original idea
This is me and my son's yarder. It was built in Enderby B.C. It's a Skylead M35. Neat lil' three drum yarder. And is in the Yarder E.R. for winch repairs. Spare parts are a real mother-in-law to find.