Someone decided they needed our NewHolland LB95 backhoe more than us. Was parked on a job site. It was driven off site over night, and loaded on a float about a mile away.
That stinks. I mean really really stinks. I've been stolen from and I can still get really wound up about it if I think about it too much. I hope you get it back.
We've all been there if we've been around a while. I've had so much stolen from me I just get disgusted instead of mad now. Still stinks.
Hope they are caught and you recover your machine.
Insurance will cover the loss, but the machine was only assessed a 30 grand. It could never be replaced for that price. never liked the idea of one key fits all
Think about using an equipment tracking system if you leave machines on a jobsite or remote locations. Keys to equipment are very widespread... (not telling you anything you didn't know) The prices have come down in the last few years. It's cheap insurance
Not anywhere the extent of your loss but our stimulus check and another $100 went to replace a gen/welder unit a buddy loaned me to weld corner posts for the pasture. Now we have an automatic gate.. Dont know the code or I don't know u r coming you dont get on my property. Hoping thing work out decent for you.
Shooting a thief dead immunity should be expanded under the Castle Doctrine to include any of one's possessions. I hate a damn thief.
Booo!!! I wanted to give your post a sympathy "Like" but I don't like the story!
A couple of years ago I testified in court about a 14H motor grader that had been stolen. Apparently the insurance agent hadn't bothered to get a serial number from the owner for a spread going out on a job. The job was in a remote location and all the equipment was parked over the weekend. Come Monday morning the grader was gone. The case was complicated by a lot of things but the upshot was that since there was no serial number on the contract and the owner never bothered to take a picture of the machine, the insurance company denied the claim. The insurance company turned the case over to their SIS, special investigative service, who then commenced to slander and character assassinate the owner and all of his employees. At any rate it was over two years, tons of legal wrangling, expert witnesses, attorneys, depositions and finally a week in court and the owner won his case. The moral to this story is that insurance is not insurance if you can't positively prove that the machine you own actually exists. Serial numbers, photographs and maybe a third party inventory might be the best insurance you can have.
Agree there should be an option if saying nothing else "*&^$#@!" like in the comic-strips.
GPS trackers hidden on a machine are getting popular. Several years ago a guy had his $80,000 welding rig stolen. Cops were able to track it to rural location and found another stolen welding truck along with multiple other stolen pieces. Nobody was around at the time they got there so they just waited inconspicuously for someone to show up. Most of the small hand tools were gone but he got the truck and welder back. You almost feel good when you hear stories of someone getting killed or seriously injured stealing a car or equipment. Now there's idiots stealing catalytic converters in broad daylight. A few years ago a farmer was charged when he chased down and shot someone stealing his truck and ATV. Too bad he didn't catch them on the farm. Then there might have just been a missing person report with no leads. https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/farmer-to-serve-90-days-in-jail-for-shooting-thief-1.708634
It is a sad state of affairs when the criminals have more rights than the hard working people trying to pay for this stuff and make an honest living.
It's not that they have more rights. It's that some bleeding heart thinks that the crime of stealing is a lot less heinous than the crime of murder. I'm sure that if you stole it back from the thief, you would have the same rights and better treatment than them. Reporter at the scene of a dead person interviewing a sheriff. Reporter, how did he die. Sheriff, well Jed over here caught him trying to steal something out of his pickup. Reporter, what did he try to steal? Sheriff, it doesn't matter. Reporter, that's the third thief Jed has caught this week. Sheriff, some people have all the luck.
Couldn’t agree more