Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good buy on this 1988 Ford 555A XL?

j.cowling ยท 2014-12-11 15:56

I've ran across a 1988 Ford 555A XL backhoe. I've never owned a backhoe but recently I've kicked around the idea of getting one. I currently rent skid steers for some smaller jobs and have started clearing smaller lots. I'm thinking a backhoe may be beneficial. Maybe I should be looking at a skid steer. Either way. It's a 1988 and has had a brand new Holland engine put in with 50 hours on it, new rubber all the way around, new hoses. All the paperwork to go with it. It is a 2WD unfortunately. I've got them down to $10,500 on it. Is this a good buy? Anything I should look at if I go pick it up? I'm a 2.5 hour drive away, but if that sounds like a great deal, I think it'll be worth it, and if I decide I would use a skid steer more...then I want to be able to sell this machine a nd at least get out of it what I put in it? Thanks guys.

Replies4
  1. #1jimg9842014-12-11 17:53

    I have one like is shown the picture, except mine has 4 levers for operating backhoe. xl is foot longer on the rear digger,, very stout machine,,still can get parts for them,,,i like mine a lot has 4500 hours on it, didn't see hours in post about hours,,i gave $6500 for mine think got a good deal,, think your price is high, but if its not worn out in joints, wonder why engine has been replaced? the 555AXL was made in 1984/1986 3cyl ford engine [PERKINS] go to TRACTORDATA.COM for more info $9000 would be good price big backhoe are cheaper now,,lots with no work, smaller backhoes,,mini extravators GL

  2. #2j.cowling2014-12-11 18:22

    Thank you. Yes, I'm not very sure on these machines. The engine was replaced, and only has about 50 hours on it now is what they told me. I'm just trying to save myself the trip to go see it if it's not a great buy. I may just stick it out around here and try to find a good deal on a skid steer. Thanks again.

  3. #3El Hombre2014-12-12 13:41

    Price is pretty much a local issue. Look around and see what else you can buy around $10K, that will tell you more than someone 3,000 miles away, like me. The new engine is about $5k, the tires about $1000-1500 depending on what they installed. To me, a new engine would add at least $2500 to the price; hardly ever does it increase by what it cost the current owner to do. I have a Ford 5550, that's a lot bigger than yours, but the prices on your size are about $5K higher than the biggest Ford TLB. I think it's moving it, the trailer and tow vehicle have to be a lot bigger and expensive to move my mother...but it stays on my hill, so not an issue. Take a close look at all the pins, hoses for leaks, any other fluid leaks. Those Fords are strong for their size, the parts are about 40% less than what JD, Case, or Cat parts will cost. If you get a chance to run it, do so for at least an hour. Like all hoes, the transmission is the expensive weak point; you can tell that by all the threads here on messed up drive lines....

  4. #4mitch5042014-12-12 19:49

    I started to agree with El Hombre about pricing being local, (and wimp out ) but, I looked again and you ARE local. Hi neighbor. :waving There is a lot of competition around here for older hoes from all the deer farms, and 5-acre ranches,. that price seems in-line if it's in good shape and not too far away to run up your transport costs. I used to be service manager at a Ford Tractor dealer for a little while, (left in '92) so I'm passing familiar with those. The 555A has the same basic engine, drive train and working parts as a 4500 ('65-'75). So they were unexciting but solid, proven tractors. (BTW, that engine has no connection to Perkins; early Massey Fergusons had Perkins power). It was the 555C or D that got the bigger engine. The A still has the bolt-on hoe, so make sure those bolts are tight and the holes aren't wallowed out. Good Luck, Mitch