1st time poster... looked for a year or so for an old 'hoe to use on land prep for building our home. This fall bought JD 310b. 4k hours on a broken meter... and she was the tightest unit I had looked at..... which, in my price range showed more than a few beat up machines....7K The first thing to pop up was a stall/shut down that was fixed with a solenoid replacement. The seller sent a guy out to install ( on his nickel !). I was not there when the work was done, so I did not get a peek inside that top cover to see about the common crud that plugs up these pumps... I had checked the return line, in the field, and did not see any blockage. After the sol fix the machine ran well.. no stall. ..or at least not until I learned the fuel gauge did not work, but that is another story ...along with the main reason backblading with your bucket curled down is not a good idea..at least with this model TLB. After we put the first 10 hrs. or so on the machine, we did a filter replacement. When I first looked @ buying the unit, the oil level on the stick was high.... to the point I thought maybe the wrong dipstick in there.. With the filter job, drained crank, put in measured amount of new oil and it read true. So then I kept a close eye as we put the next few hours on the old girl. Began to creep up above full. First move was to change out the lift pump.... with a new load of oil. After 10 hours, I sent out a sample, and it showed 71/2% fuel. Which tells me the seals on the pump shaft need to be changed out. ...... and here is my question ... would you have the pump internals checked out... while you had the pump off? Aside from some wetness@ banjo bolts the pump seems to running well. So, if it "ain't broke"???? or is it just a matter of time before I'll have to deal with that. My understanding is... to just change the shaft seals....... pull pump "as is/where is" and change 'em out and re-install pump. But, that if anything is going to done to the pump I'll need to set to TDC prior to pulling the pump. Thanks for your thoughts..... as I said, first post ( sorry no pics of the old girl) but I have been checking things out here for some time now....
Did forget to add..... it has the RoosaMaster JDB injection pump on a 4219 engine.
2 schools of thought on that 1.. You could do it as is and where is BUT [dot] mark the housing to the block because it has slots for mounting holes for timing.. AND TIE THE THROTTLE BACK TO WIDE OPEN. OR shut off the fuel at the tank, remove the side cover window on the pump and rotate the engine over until the 2 lines line up.. BUT your still going to want to TIE THE THROTTLE BACK.. As far as JUST the seals on the drive shaft, you might get away with it IF the brass pilot tube isn't grooved.. but with a machine w/ 4k hrs its doubtful.. better be prepared to fork out about 500.00 -600.00 depending on where you get it done.. OR considerably less, IF you know "a guy"..
I figured the pilot tube would be changed out with the seals, but have not looked up procedures for that yet. The seller had said he was willing to have his mech. fix those seals since they were leaking prior to purchase... I think I would have them replace that tube regardless. I thought it might present the opportunity to make sure the pump was "in a good place" Now, as far as knowing a "guy"... I understand your one of them. and how might one get a hold of you off forum to discuss a pump overhaul? I tried an email through aol but did not hear back
email sent..
From a guy that just pulled the pump. Get it rebuilt. Your machine is older than mine... There is a fiber weight ring that has a limited lifetime before it starts to disintegrate. Then you will HAVE to rebuild it. All this is moot if you LIKE pulling and installing the injection pump multiple times. PS ... pumpguysc is the "man" for advice. His advice was spot on for my Deere 310C.
Thanks, Through lots of web reading I have picked up on the problems inherent to these pumps. And since it has to come off regardless for the seal fix.... And yes, pumpguysc has been a great source for info for quite some time it seems. He, and another fella from up I-88 in NY, have provided us all with hours of reading on this matter..... I thank them, and all, for contributing to these forums. I'm in the middle of a saab story with a head gasket repair on a 9-5, and would be lost without the fine forums that support SAABs. Same goes for here.