Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good Farm Type Excavator

AllDodge ยท 2015-10-28 17:29

Not that I need another project but have a couple things and a trackhoe would come in real handy. Should be able to get it done with what I have but just been looking around for the last year or so. As all the other equipment in my sig there all good for me because no computers. well might need to take that back with the 416C but don't think it has one. Like my 955 will not keep up with a 953 or 961, but I can fix the tranny on it if it ever went out. So what would be a a regular good ole trackhoe to look for, and where are the weak spots with them?

Replies8
  1. #1Tags2015-10-28 17:46

    Mitsubishi 120 would be my vote, no CPU or creature comforts , BUT, at this point it will be old. They were fast and strong machines, nearly indestructible IF it was cared for even a little bit. I would look for a later model one that had the pilot controls and not the wobble sticks. I'm also pretty certain any Cat dealer can still get most parts for it.

  2. #2movindirt2015-10-28 18:31

    A good choice would be a Cat 215 or 225, reliable machine and not much to go wrong with it. Swing drive is about the only weak spot. Plenty of parts available too.

  3. #3AllDodge2015-10-28 18:49

    Thanks. will look into them. As before never had one so don't know even the basics of how to look them over, weak spots, things that wear, all the other stuff

  4. #4repowerguy2015-10-28 19:49

    Any of the 90 series Deeres were decent although they are getting a little old now. A E 70B Cat is a tough little machine also, what size do you have in mind?

  5. #5ScottAR2015-10-28 19:59

    Saw a Cat 235 in KY on machinery trader the other day. Would be a big ol' girl but nice and mechanical with a 3306.

  6. #6AllDodge2015-10-28 20:58

    Don't want a big machine even thou it would do more then a smaller one. Have some areas where a trackhoe with a long reach could dig a bit and pour rocks on the hill side. Right now I have an area I would like to cover with rock but not good enough to use the dozer (kind of steep) and backhoe just cannot do it. Have another area where I could use a trackhoe to lower wire baskets full of rock to make a retaining wall. Want a lot more reach then an extended hoe

  7. #7pf/l2015-10-29 13:59

    A small hoe may not do what you want if you're going to be teaching out with heavy loads of rock. Personally I'd look for a 200 class machine. Light enough to move and still heavy enough to do some work with it. A 160 would probably for the bill too but it will get a bit light if you're lifting at full reach. Thing with hoes is you can buy a big one for not allot more then a smaller one.

  8. #8AllDodge2015-10-29 14:10

    When I bought my 955 I knew nothing about the heavy equipment except how to rebuild an engine, and be mechanically inclined. So bought the 955 and then found out how much more I didn't know about the equipment. Then the D3 came along and while I didn't get burnt, I know a few more things to look at, might have save me some dollars. So if I go look at a hoe, I'm starting in the same point. Don't know what to look at other then maybe tracks in order to determine what is a walk away from or look a little closer