Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good gear puller set…

Brodiesel ยท 2017-06-20 21:07

Can somebody recommend a good all around puller set? I have gone far too long with minimal tooling and it's starting to drive me crazy. Non hydraulic just a nice combo set for a variety of applications, anyone? OTC, Snap-On or what?

Replies14
  1. #1crane operator2017-06-20 21:29

    I've got nothing but good to say about posi- lock pullers for a general gear puller. They make two and three jaw in different sizes. They take a lot of room to get mounted, but once they're on, you can really put some strain on them. I've had them on all kinds of old pulley's and gears and locked them up and hammered on them with a impact while heating the gear with a torch (the threads won't stand up to extensive use with a impact, but they sell new threaded rods, and sometimes it has to come off, now ). I've been trying to justify one of these proto sets for narrow access places. Proto also makes some bigger sets with everything, but they're like $600. https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Prot...rd_wg=aHzpJ&psc=1&refRID=EA40F2MD1Z7W4T5BBY80

  2. #2crane operator2017-06-20 21:38

    This is the little bigger proto puller set I was thinking of: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Proto-J4292B-Ease-Puller/dp/B001VY3GH8

  3. #3crane operator2017-06-20 21:39
  4. #4mitch5042017-06-20 21:51

    posi-lock, hands down

  5. #5Twisted2017-06-20 23:24

    Another vote for posi-lock. I impact the snot out of mine and have only replaced the threaded rod once in 15-20 years. I have had to weld a new nut to the end a few times because they wear out with impact use and lots of hammering. If you can't impact it off, get it tight then beat on the end with a large hammer. Posi-locks love when violence is needed.

  6. #6Junkyard2017-06-20 23:36

    I've had a Snap On set for close to 20 years. Other than losing or breaking the little pins that hold the jaws into the puller assembly and breaking one jaw when I used it in way discouraged by the instructions I have no complaints. It can be setup in 2 and 3 jaw and the jaws can be held tight against whatever you're pulling on. Maybe not quite as handy as posi-lock adjustment wise but they haven't failed me yet.

  7. #7GaryHoff2017-06-20 23:49

    +1 for posi-lock http://www.posilock.com/products/manual-pullers/manual-parts Reasonable pricing, and sold on the snap-on truck supplemental catalog. A bit bulky, but that's usually not a issue, different length legs are sold for the pullers as well. OTC makes a nice bearing splitter and H bar set too. A bit more versatile than a 3 jaw puller because you can use ready rod to expand the bearing splitter to different lengths.

  8. #8DARO2017-06-20 23:52

    I have the small proto set. Iv had it ten years or more.. Works well for every thing smallish. I have a OTC bearing puller set for the rest. Darrel

  9. #9Brodiesel2017-06-21 09:35

    Posi lock it is! I will look into it, thanks.

  10. #10FarmWrench2017-06-21 12:50

    I'll vote posilock. However somewhere I bookmarked another company that was US made, high quality and cheaper. To be continued.....

  11. #11Junkyard2017-06-21 21:02

    Sure, make me the odd man out!

  12. #12Ruger_5562017-06-21 21:42

    Another vote for Posi-Lock or Proto, preferably both as the former won't fit everywhere.

  13. #13StanRUS2017-06-21 22:47

    Proto JAWS tend spring with lots of applied torque, I use C-clamp to keep the jaws from slipping off.

  14. #14mitch5042017-06-21 22:59

    Hey, I got one Snap-On push-puller that is great when that's what I need, and several OTCs,too, but for all-around gear pullers you can't beat the posi-locks. But, really none of us need anybody to make us odd!