Glanced under my truck today and noticed that the engine is tilted a few degrees to the side. If you are looking from the front of the truck, it is tilted to the left. I thought I may have a broken or sagging motor mount but everything looked good and all the bolts were tight. Whats up with that? Its on my International and the engine is a Detroit 60 series. 12.7 liters.
I don't know what brand truck you have but I'd noticed Ford mounted the 3406 cat tilted sideways and leaning back under the hood of a 9000series I looked at, just so it would fit. It may be yours is mounted slightly off on purpose too, if everything looks right in the motor mount area?:beatsme On edit: Did you slip the mention of it being an Int. w/detroit in on an edit, or am I really getting that bad?
The old Louisville Fords the engine was tilted to the passenger side either it be a 3406 Cat or 855 Block Cummins. I don't know why they would have the engine tilted in a Corn Binder especially a Series 60 its not a big engine to start with. Leave the hood open put the truck into low gear engine running maxi brakes on and gently let up on the clutch. If the engine starts to tilt to the passenger side and the stick starts to lean then your motor mounts are bad. Is the engine rubbing on anything ? The old L-9000 Ford I drove most of the time had bad motor mount on the drivers side and any time you had a heavy load on it the engine would tilt so far then the truck would start going. Truck had a 400 Big Cam with half the engine in the cab. I had to do some work on the engine talk about :cussing Anyhow if things look okay and nothing is broken a engine tilted to the side is okay
I will see if it moves today and get back with you.
Neither the engine or the transmission moves at all under HEAVY torque. Must be in the design. I think it is tilted to clear the air intake plumbing. Thanks for the help.:drinkup
Many trucks over the years have had tilted motors, particularly those with a Cummins. It was most often done to allow frame and oil pan clearances, with hood and firewall considerations also a factor. It did create some problems, such as making starters especially difficult to R&R. There were times when I heartily cursed all truck engineers and designers and their families back ten generations because of problems with tight frames and tilted motors.
Thats good to hear that everything is in good shape.
if everythings tight and good i woudlnt worry
Almost. Been running some rough back country roads everday since last Thursday. Found two airleaks, dented a fuel tank, bent the bumper and my back is killing me! I love driving a dump truck.:Banghead
I imagine your truck rides a little rough because it is a short wheelbase and set back front axle. When you find yourself a better truck it will be more comfortable to drive.
I was just checking out your webshots, your truck is nice. A converted tractor right? How many tons can you haul legal, what is your GVW? Good Luck!
Colorado has me at 54,000 gross. The truck itself weighs in around 23,500 with both tanks full. I can get 15 tons in but I tell all the loaders to shoot for 12 so that there is some margin for error. I dont get paid extra for hauling extra material. It is a great truck for running up and down the highway and it rides like a Cadillac. That is going to change though because I am throwing some 18,000 pound front springs under it next week.