Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Good things you’ve done for others

Truck Shop · 2020-01-03 19:22

With all the good people on here I'm sure everyone of you has done something to help someone out of a jam. This is a thread about positive aspects in life, If you reply it won't be thought of as egotistical banter. Rather the opposite, I'm sure I come off as gruff, but I'm like everyone else in the fact I like to hear positive stories about people helping others when their down on their luck. In this day and age I still like to think people have a heart. Big help or small please post your good deed, I think others would like to hear them also.

Replies36
  1. #1f311fr12020-01-03 20:12

    A man came across one of my fields at about 10 at night. I live ajacent to Interstate 840 in rual middle TN. I saw him when I took the garbage out. I went in the house and got my pistol. He kind of slunk up toward the house staying out of the light on the power pole. I stood in my garage and waited to see what he was up to. when he got up within 20 feet I told him to stop, that I was armed, and what did he want. His car was on the interstate with two flat tires and no spare. I had him stand still and called my freind to keep an eye on him and called my other freind who had a small repair/tire shop down the road. He came to the house and we went and checked out the strangers car. His wife and two kids were in it and it looked like they were living in their car. We got the tire sizes and went back to the tire shop. Picked out two used tires, went back to their car. Jacked it up and pulled the two flats. Went back to the tire shop and mounted the two tires, went back to their car and mounted the wheels/tires. Went back and got the stranger and took him back to his car and sent him on his way. I paid my freind with the tire shop for the two tires.

  2. #2Truck Shop2020-01-03 20:23

    Well I'll start it then for the fact everyone seems bashful. Sunday before Christmas I was in the grocery store picking up a Kentucky brand ham and turkey with certificate that the company bought for each management employee. When I got to the checkout stand there was a older woman ahead of me that looked to be in her 80's, she had a meager amount of food and it was all the cheapest stuff, her clothes were clean but really worn. It was obvious she was trying to get by on probably a very limited income. After I went through the check stand I quickly caught up to her and put both the ham and turkey in her cart and wished her a merry Christmas. You see I all ready had planned on BBQ steaks I had bought for Christmas dinner.

  3. #3Bumpsteer2020-01-03 20:28

    Oldest daughter had a co-worker down her luck just before x-mas, single mom 2 kids just gettiing by and her vehicle broke down. We got clothes and toys for the kids, daughters husband bought the parts and fixed her Jeep. Ed

  4. #4Steve Frazier2020-01-03 22:31

    I'm a firm believer in paying it forward. I help out wherever I can when I see someone in need. I've changed tires at 1am, pulled cars from a ditch in a snowstorm, dug a grave for a neighbors dog, bought Christmas gifts for a single mom's child down on her luck, bought meals for military personnel and Vets, rendered first aid to accident victims I've happened upon, the list goes on and on. I've never accepted money for any of it, have just asked those I've helped to help other s if they are able in the future. I truly feel we all have been placed here to help others when we can.

  5. #5Tenwheeler2020-01-03 22:34

    Riding around in a service truck for 80 percent my life I have done so much for so many I cannot recall. Began to ask myself why I do this. Finally I started to share the good Samaritan story. Just ask people to pass it on and or go to church. My wife has been mad as hell at me when I came in late sometimes. I never told her why just took the beating. There used to be other reasons for being late as well. Some were not so good. I am reluctant to reply as are gifts not not supposed to be done so as the right hand does not know what the left is doing? An older friend of mine shared a story I will share with you. His family owned an ag dealership in the 50's and 60's. He was the shop manager at 20 years of age. They picked up equipment at the port and brought it back in their selves. One day he walked by the window between the parts and service counter. He heard a woman screaming thats him thats him. Said he looked and she was pointing at me. I had to walk around the door to the other side. Then I told them I do not know what she is talking about. She is crazy as h e l l. I have never seen that woman before in my life. No thats him thats him. Ended up she had been broke down with two flat tires. The guys and him had helped her out. Her husband was a farmer and wrote a check for a new tractor. True story but never expect anything. Do I have any regrets? Maybe for not being crystal clear with my wife but she did not approve if I hung out with the guys or was helping out the car load of ROTC kids with a flat tire and no lug wrench. Then their spare was flat. I regret that I blew by a young girl hitch hiking on the side of the road. My wife was with me that day and we were covering ground. A large RV was lumbering along and no one would pass it. Began dropping back and running up on the crowd at speed to pass at every hill. Finally there was no on coming traffic and I was hammer down. As soon as I dropped back in there she was and I could see something in her eyes. It would be a really bad time to stand on the brakes and then there was no good place to turn around. That one is on me. Another five minutes probably would not have changed my life at all. Do what you can when you can.

  6. #6RZucker2020-01-03 23:11

    More than once I've stopped and whipped out the jack and impact to change a tire for someone waiting on AAA (for a few hours), Used the spare gas for my welder to gas them up, Once gave a woman and her 2 very young children a ride to a safe place to wait for her husband after her car broke down on 395 in 105* heat. Then got a buddy with a rollback to take the car to Spokane. Just look people over carefully, A friend stopped to help a couple of guys once that bopped him and stole his pickup.

  7. #7Ct Farmer2020-01-04 00:19

    My grandparents and their parents lived through the Great Depression. They had very little but being machinists and blacksmiths did have some work and a few dollars, unlike many. Of course the stills brought in some extra cash also. Regardless, I'm told they also had a bit of extra food, if only bread and butter, for those in need. All his life my grandfather helped others however he could. The stories are endless. Many defy modern safety standards but everyone knew who they could count on when it hit the fan. My father is the same and I remember many nights growing up working in someone’s basement to getting their plumbing or electrical straigtened out. 50 years later I figure we must have dug every well or septic on the street. Helped roof a mess of houses, pumped water out of most them and considering we have more stuff than the local hardware store, supplied enough bolts to assemble a car. Never asked a for a dime. Never wanted one. Honestly, I don't keep track of it. Don't expect anything in return. It is just part of life.

  8. #8wornout wrench2020-01-04 02:52

    I'm pretty much the same. I will pretty much stop to help anyone on the side of the road. When I was on the service truck I lost track of how many people I changed tires for, gave them some gas, oil or water. Used the company radio to call for police, ambulance or a tow truck. We were working on a water pump on the side of a logging road one night. This young couple pull up in a minivan. They were so lost and scared. They thought they were going to be out all night. They were only 5 km from the highway but so freaked out we picked up everything and got them to follow us to the highway. They all offer to pay but I tell them all the same thing. Just pay it forward and help someone else. If I have a homeless person ask for money I ask if they are hungry, if they are I will buy them something to eat. I won't give them money, but food is something totally different. I shovel my neighbors driveways all the time (when we get snow), most of them work and I have time. I always offer to help any of my neighbors out, building fences, pruning trees. I keep the wrenching down to a minimum with the neighbors, will get them going but anything big needs to go to one of the shops. Little things are fine. I honestly don't think it is anything special. It is what my parents taught me and what I taught my kids. You can call it what you want. The right thing to do Good Karma What ever you want. To me, it is just what you do.

  9. #992U 34062020-01-04 06:09

    I was out of province, visiting some friends. We were headed up to a lake that was a bit off the grid. They were going to camp there a day or 2, I was just sticking around for the afternoon. Since they were towing their travel trailer I decided to blow past them and carry on at my pace. Come around a corner and spot a mother and 2 younger kids walking down the road. A few hundred feet behind them was a pickup parked on the side of the trail. We're a good 30k from pavement at this point and the road isn't the most well travelled so I stop. Turns out she's got a flat tire and no idea how to change it. She couldn't call for help since there's no cell service. I pull up to the truck and come to find she's missing the jack and lug wrench from the spare tire kit. The lug wrench from my kit wasn't the right size. As luck would have it, my buddy and his wife finally catch up and their truck is the same make and model as the woman's truck. He and I get cracking and swap her spare on in a matter of minutes and she's back on her way to the lake with her kids. We continued on to the campsite.

  10. #10Ct Farmer2020-01-04 09:53

    I would say that founding this forum and all the work it must take to keep it going has paid it forward in a huge way. The knowledge on here is beyond amazing. I can only imagine the countless hours and money that has been saved with the help of all who offer it here. Thank you.

  11. #11kshansen2020-01-04 10:04

    Well this one is from the opposite point of view. My family had driven down from New York State for a cousin's wedding in Virginia Beach sometime in the mid to late 1960's. One the trip back not sure if it was fully intended but we took a bit of a detour that took us right through Washington DC and past the Capital. While trying to get back on the highway dad was having some trouble finding his way. We apparently got into a section of town that was not normally visited by a white family from NY! Just then a big Cadillac convertible with top down with two black couples riding in it pulled up next to us. The driver yelled and motioned for dad to roll down his window. When the window was down the driver said "Hey NY are you guys lost?" Dad said "Kind of!" Caddy drive said "Follow us!" and took off. Dad followed close behind and in a few blocks we were back on the Interstate heading north! A quick wave of thanks and our escort took off.

  12. #12dozr2020-01-04 10:29

    this go to say what i have always said and done ,you can not out give ,if done from heart.

  13. #1392U 34062020-01-04 14:45

    Just this morning I met up with my running club. After our 5k I'm driving out of the parking lot at the park and notice one of the other group members had the hood open on their car. Spun a u-turn and went back to see if they needed a boost. They were just topping off washer fluid but they were appreciative that I stopped to check on them. Would suck waiting for a tow truck at -10 and snowing.

  14. #14sled dog2020-01-04 15:50

    I've done everything that each of you have mentioned above. For me, it's just being a decent Human Being. I love to make people smile or laugh, random acts of kindness every day. Just trying to show people that there are still good, kind people in this world. This forum, and all of you, proves to me that I am right. Good, kind people ready to help strangers in an instant. My kind of people!! Odd isn't it? Some of the finest people and best friends I will ever know are the people here that I may never meet. My faith in Humanity has been restored for today. Thanks Truck Shop, we all needed this... Chuck

  15. #15aighead2020-01-08 13:21

    These are all great stories, thanks for sharing. My stories are generally the same, if I'm able to help out I do, as much as possible, without expecting anything back and I'll turn down any payment. If I stopped and helped it because I could not because I want something in return. My latest stories of help have all revolved, for better or worse, around money. I run several production lines at a factory and know the plight of having a family with responsibilities and living check to check. I've had the opportunity to give or loan substantial amounts of money to folks that have needed it. For some I know it provided food for their family, for some it's helped cover some bills, for others it's helped take care of a plumbing emergency. While I'm not rich, by any means, I've been able to help out. I don't really like throwing money around but I know these guys well and it kills them a little to ask, and I could afford it, even if not paid back. I find it amazing how much people are willing to help each other. I think if we all were more willing to help maybe we'd need less government to step in and mess it up.

  16. #16Truck Shop2020-01-08 17:31

    One from years and years ago. I was working in a foreign car repair shop back in 1977 that was located a block from the sheriffs office and county jail. It was summer and a man walking by stepped into the shop he was wearing a shirt with company logo of a national moving and storage company. He told a story how he got drunk and throwed in jail over night and the other driver took off with all of his stuff in the truck and he had no money. He asked for some money promising to repay as soon as he got back home {Ohio}. I wasn't thrilled about giving him money but I did. About four weeks went by and I got a envelope in the mail with twice of what I gave him. And a {thanks for helping a guy who was busted flat} his own words.

  17. #17TD242020-01-08 17:34

    Sixteen years old and driving the old gas burners OTR; bull hauling and produce, 1951 to Army in 59. We always carried 8 feet of 5/8 heater hose under the seat so if running together one truck ran short, swap some to get to the fuel stop or the "cheap gas/big discount place". Over the years I have no idea how much gas I gave away to cars on the side, hood up, wife and kids standing, man walking away or they would say he had gone to try to get gas. 120 gallon saddle, pull along side and siphon enough to get to gas, or if broke-filled it up. Years pass. In 1979 I had started a forklift shop. Had an old Ford flatbed starter truck, with a side tank. Took off and did not notice it on seat tank, Made it to pickup. loaded, started back. Truck coughed and slowed. I switched to side, coughed again and quit. Forklift on board was gas. Checked tank. Nearly full. Needed 6 feet of hose to flow it down to my tank. No hose. Farmer in old pickup pulled up. "You got troubles, Son? Yessir, need a piece of hose to get gas down. He mulled it. I don't have any hose, but I do have 50 gallons and a pump in the tank in back. Proceeded to pump me in plenty. Told him; it is only a mile to a station, and I have money. Naw, put you in enough to get you to Tupelo (20 miles/at Wren, MS). May take a lot of years, but it does come back around..... Also, some of the "bad" or "failed" ones came back on me. Karma works both ways.

  18. #18Hobbytime2020-01-08 18:55

    I dont know..that old saying " No good deed goes unpunished" seems to haunt my thoughts...LOL...then you see people trying to do good and they end up dead or in deep legal doo doo.....

  19. #19Truck Shop2020-01-08 19:21

    Well I'm not superstitious, but I do believe what comes around goes around and some people just need enough rope to hang themselves because their too busy thinking up ways to manipulate a situation they can't see the forest for the trees. And those usually get what's coming to them. Life sometimes has a way of catching up and backfiring at the most inopportune time, especially for those who are grinding an ax. But for the innocent-well they deserve a help now and then.

  20. #20farmerlund2020-01-08 21:17

    Good thread Truck Shop. Ten years ago a friend of mine called with a horse problem. ( ya I know all about horse people, he is not in that category) His 12 year old daughter races barrels and her horse stepped in a gopher hole. Breaking about 2 ft of its leg clean off. All that was holing it on was about 1" of hide, not pretty. So they had the vet on the way to put it down but needed to have a horse funeral. So I loaded up my 25 ton excavator and drove over the 30 miles to his house. When I get there he says you can't just squeeze it with the thumb and throw it in the hole, we need to be gentle. His wife and 2 daughters are watching everything. Very sad day for them. I dig a nice perfect rectangle grave get the horse laid in there perfectly on its side. Next was blanket and flowers. Covered him up and left. Only Took about two years before he finally quit asking if I was going to send a bill for the horse funeral. I never did send one.

  21. #21Bluox2020-01-08 23:13

    The bad part about horse funerals is they don't have a potluck afterwards . Bob

  22. #22TD242020-01-08 23:35

    Thuh Fust Baptist-Tupelo, MS has a dinner for the family and the close friends at 12 if the funeral is after noon. Full boat... I will be proud of what they have when I go.

  23. #23petepilot2020-01-09 01:05

    I have a couple good ones for the thread soon as I get my comp.back up . Trying to write on this thing is a pita

  24. #24wornout wrench2020-01-09 02:36

    My dad used to tell me this story, might be one of the reasons that I always stop to help. I was very young so 1958-59ish. My parents went from Vancouver BC to Regina Sk to visit my mom's parents. On the way home they came back via south of the border. At the time my dad was driving a Vauxhal. He bought it on the advice of his mentor, an old british gentleman who had taken my dad under his wing. When Vauxhal's were imported and sold in Vancouver he told my dad what a great car they were. So since he had given my dad such great advice in the past, dad bought one. Well it was a complete POS. So here they were with two small children, in the states in this POS english car when it starts acting up. Money was pretty scarce in those days so dad was pretty flustered. They make it to a garage, remember when there was a garage at every service station with a mechanic working there, anyways they get it to the garage and dad talks to the mechanic. Dad figures he is screwed, aint nobody going to know anything about a Vauxhal in this part of the word, it was hard enough to get it fixed in Vancouver. You want to talk about luck. The guy that owned the garage had served in England during WW2, as a mechanic. He had worked on Vauxhals and knew what was wrong with the car and knew what he had to do to repair it. So loads dad mom me and my brother up, takes up to his house and sets us up for the night and tells dad that it will be running in the morning. Come the morning he wheels up in the car and says all ready to go. Comes time for the bill and he would only take the money for the repairs, nothing for putting us up in his house, food, nothing. He told dad that he enjoyed working on the car and he would probably never get another chance. Dad paid him what he asked for and got his address, they sent Christmas cards back and forth for years. This is going back 60 years and i was just a child, I don't even remember it but every once in awhile when dad was reminiscing about the good in people, that story would come out. I just remember how much he hated that car and what a great guy that mechanic was.

  25. #25fast_st2020-01-09 06:07

    I was running the garage one afternoon, a couple from Fla had their lincoln towed in, early 90's town car, blown rear axle, seems there was nothing between the pinion and the ring. they were on their way up to Maine for their son's military ceremony. I called the local hotel in the next town to have them send over a shuttle and said I'd see what I could do. I call my local pal at the junkyard and he finds the right ratio axle in a crown vic for under 100. asked and found out he's taking the ramp truck home so drop that by on your way home. The lincoln had brand new brakes, swapped those over and gave the new axle a quick oil change while I was there and got it all bolted up by 2am. The Hotel van showed up first thing in the morning, I was a little groggy still and gave them the bad news and the good news, bad news, rear end was junk, good news its all fixed and test driven. I handed them the bill for I think it was 350-400 and said they'd not agreed to the repair but figured getting to the graduation is important, and if things were tight they could send me a check later. They happily wrote out a check and were thrilled to be back on schedule.

  26. #26Vetech632020-01-09 07:46

    I've had numerous run ins with helping people over the years all the way back to my teens. I was raised in a way …...that's just what you do! From helping change flats, to giving money to those down on their luck, giving advise based on my knowledge, etc...……………………………… My last was about 2 months ago. Me and the wife had just pulled into a gas statin to fill up and this woman was standing outside her SUV, had the spare tire lying on the ground and the jack next to it. I could tell while I was pumping gas that she was still looking for something, so I walked over and asked if she knew how to change a tire (she had hit something in the road and tore a 4" gash in the sidewall). She said she couldn't find the "thingy" to undo the lug nuts. I showed her that it was part of the jack and proceeded to remove it for her. I went ahead and took the time to change the tire for her and put everything back in her vehicle. I didn't realize she had 3 kids with her until I was done, as she must have told them to stay in the truck ( had smoked glass so you really couldn't see inside). She thanked me and I went back to my truck and went on my way. The funny part about this story is...…...when I got back to my truck, the wife said" Did she offer to pay you anything?" You see this gal was tall, thin, and blonde and attractive...……….so I KNEW I was going to get questioned. I told her "NO, and I didn't ask either." She said "That's good!" and I thought that was the end of it. 5 minutes later she asked me "Did you think she was attractive?" So I replied "Yes very much so...…...and I have a confession to make. She did offer to pay me, but since you were with me, she couldn't." She started laughing so hard I was like ***? She replied " Dammit, I could have been rid of you!" Dam wives! LOL

  27. #27ianjoub2020-01-09 11:02

    I know if the government would steal less of our money, we would (almost) all be far more generous with our charity.

  28. #28old-iron-habit2020-01-09 23:33

    Like everyone here I have always tried to help people out. A couple special ones come to mind. Many years ago when on the way back to California from a Colorado elk hunt my friend and I came up on a car setting on the shoulder with a flat tire. I seen a person walking down a long ranch driveway. She was a 1/4 mile down the drive at least. I drove down and it was an elderly lady that was about froze. She commented that she could not get her car jacked up. We loaded her up and told her we would change her tire. She mentioned her husband was in the cold car and was unable to walk more than a few feet and only with a walker. We loaded them both in my rig and changed their tire as they warmed up. then we followed them to town to insure they made it on the gas they had. Imagine our surprise at our company Christmas Party when we got a Good Samaritan Award from our employer. This lady seen a business card in my truck and wrote a letter to our employer and told them the story of how we helped them. They did not have our names but the boss figured out whom it was based on her description and knowing we had been there at that timeframe. Another time in a rural Mexican village I gave a warm jacket to a homeless kid whom looked to be about 10 years old. His smile was priceless. He hung out around the restaurant we frequented and worked cleaning up and doing whatever was asked for food. A couple of days later he came in to the restaurant all beat to crap and said the jacket was gone. Some thugs had beat him bad and taken the jacket leaving him lay in the cold night. It still breaks my heart thinking about it. I could have killed that day. The last one was here in town a couple years ago. The wife and I was coming home in a sideways blowing snow and stopped for gas. I seen a person parked at the side of the station trying to change a tire. I walked over and asked if he could use a hand. To my surprise it was an old friend I had lost track of 30 years ago. He and his wife had stopped to help a lady that was struggling to change a tire on her car. We got her squared away in short order and went for coffee to catch up.

  29. #29Truck Shop2020-01-10 21:29

    I posted this before, but I thought I was in hot *** water towards the end. It was in the winter of 88-89 and it was a Friday and it had snowed since early morning hours. I had been out for hours running class A and class C towing and winching for some 16 plus hours. I just finished winching a set of wiggle wagons straight and Millie the owner was on the two way asking who was going to make it to the shop soon. I got there first, she had a two to Yakima, A woman and her I guess 8 year old son were traveling from Seattle to Yakima and had slid into the ditch twice and all she wanted was to go home and didn't care what it cost. So I hooked up with old #9 1976 Chev 1 ton 4x4 and away we went. On the way I saw a VW square back lose it on I82 MP3 at the bottom of the hill headed north. I made it to Yakima and backed the car into her garage and left headed back north on 82, and it was a major pileup on the Fred G. Redmond bridge. So on went the rotators and I wove my way through. When I got back to MP 3 I saw the VW still setting in 2 1/2 feet of plowed snow. So I stopped and checked to see if anyone was still inside, a woman and four kids. She said right off she was broke only had 40 bucks and trying to make it over to Seattle area. I told her to hang tough and went to the rig and added up what I brought in for the company that day, I free spooled the winch grabbed a J-hook and pulled her out. I went to her window and said this is a free one-on the house don't tell anyone I did this for you. Two weeks later I was putting a front drive in and Millie the boss came walking up in her red high heels and kicked at me on the creeper. Mike I need to talk to you, two weeks ago you towed that lady to Yakima on your way back did you set a hook on that VW at MP 3? Yes Millie I did and told her the story and she could take it out of my pay. She handed me a letter from the lady driving the VW all the while tapping her glasses on her thigh giving me the stink eye.---Then Millie said {That's what I expect my guys to do, never leave a woman and kids stranded while driving my tow trucks, you got to do whats right Mike and we made enough that day}. She walked away with a grin.

  30. #30Raildudes dad2020-01-11 10:46

    I’ve told this one before but here it goes again . This was years ago before cell phones. I’m cruising back to the office on the freeway. Probably doing 75+ in the left lane. Sky is threatening, definitely looks like rain. Come up on a car on the left shoulder, trunk open, definitely a flat tire, there’s a person looking in the trunk. I give a glance and I think is that a female? Short hair if it is. I debate should I go back / decide to. I’m driving a county road department car, we maintain the freeway so I can legally use the turn a-rounds. So I double back and pull up behind the car. The person turns around and Oh Yeah, it’s a woman, really pregnant, 9 months pregnant it turns out. My first question is are you driving yourself to the hospital? No just a checkup. Whew, I pass out at the sight of other’s blood LOL. My vehicle has a 2 way radio so I was covered to call 911 She wants me to take her to a phone at the next exit to call her husband. They live about 20+ miles north of town. Did I say it was starting to rain, fortunately lightly. I told her, get in your car, I’ll just change it quick. You will be sitting here a long time waiting for your husband. She says no to getting in the car, if you’re in the rain, I am too. I give her the umbrella I keep stashed and we had a nice visit while I changed it. I get it changed and she wants to pay me. Nope, you pay gas tax, consider it one of the services you get. Wants my name, no need to call my bosses, just get on your way to the Dr. Now days, with everyone having a smart phone or cell phone I’m a lot less likely to stop. Most of the time, they are on the cell phone talking when I go by.

  31. #31RZucker2020-01-11 12:24

    Then there are A-holes that try to take advantage of situations... Couple years back, my other half was driving my old Dodge/Cummins dually home and pulled off the road to use her phone. The "gravel" covered up a spot of bottomless dry sand and she got the pig stuck, it wasn't bad she stopped before it got worse and called me. I told her I would be there in 10 minutes so just relax. I pulled up (in my Ford Ranger) and there was already a guy there in a rusty Chevy 4x4 with a chain hooked up to the ball on the Dodge... He was tapping on the window and demanding $50 for a tow. I walked up and told him to get lost and I would pull it out. We nearly came to blows 'til the GF yelled "do I need to call 911?". Axxhole turned white and unhooked his chain and pulled away, I pulled Ranger up in 4lo hooked up my chain and eased the Dually out of the sand and life was good. A year ago the same guy got busted for making and selling meth, took a couple of shots at the cops too.

  32. #32wornout wrench2020-01-11 12:33

    When I was still working, "THE COMPANY" told us that we were allowed to stop and offer assistance but under no circumstance were we to tow a vehicle out of the ditch. Too many liabilities involved. Well, I'm retired and don't work for them anymore so I can tell you now with out fear of punishment that if I out on a logging road and came across someone who was stuck or in the ditch, I would give them a pull. Within reason of course. If there were obvious signs of impairment, I would toe the company line but for most people, out came the tow strap. Only trouble with doing the good deed was trying to tell the person that no payment needed, don't stop past the shop and tell my boss what a great guy I was pulling you out of the ditch. Well you get the idea.

  33. #33kshansen2020-01-11 13:25

    I probably posted this on this site before but thought I might add it to the list here. Details are a bit cloudy but I'll try to keep them straight! This was somewhat easy for me as it was right in my front yard. We were having a heavy snow storm one night and one car pulled in driveway and we went down to see what the problem was. The young girl said she was going to wait for her parents to come by to drive her home as she was not comfortable driving in the snow. Guess have to give her points for knowing when to call it quits! Well a short time later after she left we noticed through the hedge row there appeared to be a large truck stopped along the road. At first thought it was a plow truck having problems. When we walked down there saw it was a bucket truck like the power company used. Then we could see it was off the road and stuck in the snow bank. At that time the road, state highway, had around 6 inches of snow on it. Talked to the driver and he said he had moved a bit to his right due to on coming car and the snow bank just pulled him in and he could not get back out. Asked where he was from and going. Figured he was a local guy. Turned out he was from New York City and was up here half way across the state picking up this truck to drive down to Florida where the truck along with others were goring on a boat to one of the Caribbean Islands that had been hit by the bad hurricane that also did all the damage to Puerto Rico that season, for get the year right off 2017? Anyhow we told him to come up to the house and keep warm while he called his boss in NYC! Well as luck would have it there was not much help his boss could offer from half a state away. So I tried calling a couple towing outfits in the area but as could be expected they were booked up for hours with other accidents. So now plan was to see if I could do anything with my walk behind snow blower to cut a path for him to get out of the bank. Fired the best one up and plowed a path down driveway and then started attacking the snow bank. The driver went to work with a shovel digging under truck. At some point he thought it might be a good idea to start truck and have it warmed up when we had a path cleared for it. That's when he discovered that when getting out of the truck with the lights and four-ways on he had hit the door locks, and yes the key was in the ignition! So now the problem is a bit worse! No need to dig it out if we are locked out. Shift gears in to gaining access to truck. Back up to house and grab some thick piece of plastic I had laying around and us table saw to cut a couple wedges out of the plastic. Grab a wire coat hanger and head down to the truck. While using the wedges to pry door open at the top and working with coat hanger to unlock door guess what a car pulls up and who gets out but a county sheriff. I was thinking, what now are we going to be arrested for trying to steal the truck? Guess our story sounded good as he did not arrest us and sat there with lights going while we did mange to unlock the door. Fun part was now the truck would not start because the battery was down from the lights being on for so long. Okay time to take a break and do some thinking. I believe that was the hot cocoa time in the kitchen. Once the hot cocoa did it's work I said time for running wire and hooking up battery charger. As truck was around 150 feet or more from the closest out let I rounded up all the heavy extension cords I had and worked my way across the lawn in knee deep snow being sure to tie each cord to the next to reach the truck. Then drug the big charger down and hooked it up. Was a bit worried all that cord would cause a voltage drop but it seemed to be good. So while battery charged up we got back to moving snow, me with blower and driver with shovel under truck. He even thought to wedge some heavy cardboard that was in the truck under the front of rear wheels for traction. Crossed fingers and he got in and it fired right up. After all this time we had not seen a plow go by and I told him if it comes out to just pull in the driveway. After a little rocking he does manage to get it back on the road and into driveway. I had the driveway pretty clean so had him pull up towards the house. We told him no way he was going anywhere tonight and there was a nice warm bed and breakfast in morning waiting for him. Snow had stopped overnight and roads were plowed so after breakfast he was on his way. I did give him my email address but never heard from him figured it got lost in the shuffle. Just hope that ruck got to where it was heading and helped restore power to some people in the islands!

  34. #34Truck Shop2020-01-11 14:56

    A-holes-------Oh My that's rather Nasty! lol

  35. #35RZucker2020-01-11 16:32

    I was being polite... sheesh.

  36. #36old-iron-habit2020-01-12 21:27

    I would say that you invented the term "going the extra mile" for him.