I have a Pel Job EB12.4 without lamps. I've fitted to work lights on it, but I don't think they work well. The light beam is too concentrated and lights up a too small area. I am looking for lamps that spread the light good, for fitting on the roof, and also on the arm, that don't cost too mouch. I also want to fit lamps that light up the sides and back, but they don't need to be very powerful. I think maybe I'll put xenon in the front lamps and cheap LED in the side / back, to save power. The digger only have a 40A generator, and I am afraid it will be expencive if it wears out. Any tips? Will THIS work, or will I get the same problem as I already have?
I hear ya, working in the dark sucks, as I found out last night unloading my mini with the lights of my skid loader. Similar lights from the local auto parts store are my intent to add. 2 on the OROPS, 1 on the original boom location, and 1 off the back of the OROPS. John
Good light makes everything easier. It gets dark at 5 PM here, so not mouch is getting done during daylight.
Set of floodlights and a generator maybe!! Maybe a set of rechargeable torches which will last long enough for the duration of your work could also be an option - this will not drain the alternator from the machine allowing you to run as many lamps as poss off the machine's system
Lol ? Think I'll go for something mounted on the digger.
There are a couple types of lights for equipment - Flood and Spot lights you have to read the package pretty good to find out what you are getting. I have found the best place for me to get equipment lights is the TSC store they have many to choose from and the prices are ok. But i am pretty sure there are no Tractor Supply Centers overseas ????????
I would try to find some halogen flood lights. Halogen puts out more light per watt than a standard incandecent bulb. The more money you spend, the better quality you'll get. I experimented with cheap lights to add as back up lights on my truck. They were useless. I ended up buying a set of Hella fog lights and they were hands down the best lights I ever bought. Lights directed behind you are not really that important. Start with one on the cab and one on the boom and see if that does it for you.
There are plenty of stores, the problem is finding descent lights at a descent price. I like buying things in the very big store called the internet I have two lights on it now, but I would like something that spread the light more. They are "work lights", and spread more than normal car lights, but it shuld have been some more. Are they "spot" ? If I put one of this on the arm, the light spot will be quite small.
Could you mount a spotlight on either side of the boom? - with each one pointed in a different direction to give you a 'wider' area of light on the bucket. This combined with two lights on top of the canopy should provide a wide spread of light for digging and dumping e.t.c
Would give a lot of light, and draw 20(!)A power. One on the canopy and one on the boom shuld work very well if I can find the right type. A friend rented a digger some weeks ago with this combination, and they gave lots of light over a wide area. The one at the back started to leak, so it is not there any more.
I'm thinking of some lights also. Mainly so I can finish a project instead of stopping for the dark. Understand I'm not contracting,just working around the domicile.And the neighbors tree. To be quick 'n easy I'm thinking of a couple adjustable beam flashlights mounted w/ magnets/velcro,looking down at the bucket.Rechargeable batteries of course.Should be good for a few hours. Skies. Jay. P.S. Hey Frodes,hows that engine job?
The cheap work lights I've fitted do work, but not ideal when using the digger a lot. I might just leave them as they are. Engine job is not started. I am waiting for the bank to transfer money.
VisionX solstice LED lights 10 watts draw 100watts output ebay serch or google them awesome lighting products
Most floods are 55 watt each. If you don't know the numbers, here's how it goes. divide total watt by 12 volt. each 55w draws 4.58 amps. so 6- 55w is 27.49 amps. use inline fuses,27.49 x 125%=34.36 amps 35a fuse max and #10 wire for a load this great. just an example. Max amps for wire gauges 14ga= 15amps 12ga= 20amps 10ga= 30amps If you need further help PM me.
If the lens is clear its a spot type of light and if it has a defused (cloudy) type of lens its a flood type of light. The formula it goes like this. Watts / \ / \ (divide) / \ / \ Amps X Volts Placing your finger tip on which one you need to calculate will show either multiply or divide two others. So if you want watts you multiply amps by volts.
Not sure if these values for AC conductors are the same for DC but certainly workable. (IIRC something to do with DC specific wiring being constructed differently.And or more to the point, wiring for motive applications using finer strands allowing for flexure which allows for higher current capacity.Which is also good considering that motive DC applications generally operate at lower voltage which means for a specific wattage,higher currents would be required.I'm I boring you yet?) Skies. Jay.
You guys lost me!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah but I bet you run a mean machine Lost how Strott?
Good point but the biggest difference is insullation values. We use stranded in ac as well. Uncle Ohm and his law still apply. ac or dc
Are you sure it is as simpel as that? Almst all lights, except pencil beam have some kind of defused lens. My current work lights do too, but they dont spread the light enough. I am a good friend of Ohm, so I have no problem calculating watt, volt and amps
I picked up some off road lights from harbor freight, they work great and werent very expensive
Do they spread the light enough? Do you have a link?
http://www.harborfreight.com/off-road-long-range-truck-light-system-3029.html
I have 4 of the vision x solstice 10w on the back of my dump for back up lights and they are awesome! not cheap, but next to nothing for draw, 9-50 volt compatible and super bright! www.visionxusa.com
on my volvo ec15 i got 2 lights on the cab shining forewards and another 2 also on the cab at 45 degees to the front and another cab mounted on the rear.perfect nick..............
and a flashing beacon nick.....
4 lamps on the front, shining forwards? Sounds a little overkill. If I can find lights that spread the light a little better, it would be perfect.
What is your budget? Here are some lights you can look at. Check out the off road lights. They may have some cheap driving lights as well, but they may not be as rugged as the off road or work lights. http://www.jcwhitney.com/lights-and-lighting/c2805j1s17.jcwx
Budget : as little as possible I don't think car lights will work any better than those I already have installed. In i mini digger application, I need the light 2-5 meters away from the lamp.
Just get some night vision goggles and be done with it, then. :cool2
The problem with night vision goggles is you loose dept vision. Would be fun to try running a digger with them . I tried it in the army, driving a tracked vehicle. If it wasn't for this small problem, I'd installed them long time ago
What about using these 1000w inverters can they be hooked up and attach those portable flood lights that use 250 w bulbs. Is that to much draw on the batteries and alt? I never really paid much attention to how they work.
What do you think about THIS ONES ??
subscribing...
If you haven't subscribed to ebay yet, it is about time http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:DE:1123#ht_2179wt_887
I have had great luck with implement lights from the local Deere store. They have a good flood, less than $20 a piece, made to take the vibration and weather. I use a relay for every pair. I can work very good in the dark with two on the boom, one on the top of the cab, and one pointing backwards off the rear. Good luck
Very true!! If you are not satisfied with all the available then this is the best option. However, there are many in the market and also you can ask the seller to get you the lights which you want.
Yanmar Excavators Yanmar excavators are the best, I have a 1998 VIO-30-1 excavator that can;t be beat by john deere cat,or any other brand.Who like to hear from other yanmar owners on what they think.Have had this machine for 4 years and not had 1 problem, my other ones where allways breaking down john deere and had to allway wait for parts Should have brought a Yanmar long ago
john deere lights must not be made by john deere if they work
I would go either HID or LED wherever possible to keep the electrical load down, especially in light of the fact you only have a 40A alternator. You can get 17W (0.75 ampere per lamp on a 24V system, or 1.5 ampere on a 12V system) HID floodlights that give FAR more light than a 70W halogen floodlight. I would go with these on the front. I'll warn you they're not cheap but what other option do you have without changing the alternator for a larger capacity one and/or upgrading the wiring harnesses on the machine..? A good brand available in your part of the world is Nordic Lamps - made in Finland. White LED lights for side and rear are proably no more than 5W each and would give more than enough light for what you want.
we always have problems with work lights. we usually end up with whatever the mechanic has on his truck and can make work. as per all the big talk on the yanmar excavator? are you serious, what year is it again? how many hours? i am not saying my brand is best but please..
1000% right Nige. In the most challenging environment possible, that of underground mining high intensity LED's and HID's reign supreme, with the LED's having the advantage in my opinion. Far better from a visibility perspective, with their crisp white light and far less fatiguing than even the best QH lights. Far less electrical hassles with LED's too.