I bought a 20' gooseneck from a rancher down the road. He has had it for a few years and, for some reason, put mobile home axles under it. He only ran hay from the barn out to the cattle so this trailer has not seen the highway in many years. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a good source for 7k lb axles with brakes? These mobile home axles just wont hold the weight that this trailer is going to see. Thanks fellas.
Any good trailer supply store can get axles. You should pay about $700 to $900 per axle for 7K axles, complete with brakes and hubs. Here is a place I have used, and they ship anywhere. http://www.redneck-trailer.com/ Here is the catalog for the axles http://www.redneck-trailer.com/2009/A/A16-A19.pdf The only thing worse than the mobile home axles is the tires that fit them!
I'm trying to find some used axles right now. $700-900 is out of my price range for axles. How about these? I know I will have to buy springs and the hangers but they fit well into my price range. http://www.freedomaxle.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=1221&categoryID=