Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transformer Hauler

excavator ยท 2009-07-18 20:00

I thought I'd post a couple of pics of a transformer trailer that a good friend of mine just finished building. A few specs that I can remember, 64 tires, 14'6" wide, dollies can go to approx. 20' wide and up to 70' in the well. The bed and necks were built by a trailer manufacturer in B.C., the running gear was built in his shop.

Replies11
  1. #1AtlasRob2009-07-19 10:10

    Sweet Jeez! thats freakin awesome. :notworthy What sort of weight is that monster designed to carry?

  2. #2tonka2009-07-19 10:15

    with something that big it would have a rear pusher motor, or do they just put a push tractor there

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2009-07-19 18:13

    Looks like overkill to pull in there for a load of hay! LOL

  4. #4kanewolf2009-07-19 22:28

    With the title of this thread and the new movie out in the US, I expected to see Optimus Prime.... That trailer is almost big enough

  5. #5excavator2009-07-20 17:39

    It was built to haul up to 125 ton although while testing it they loaded it with 150 ton of concrete blocks just to see what it would do. Worked fine. Yes Tonka, it's set up for a push truck.JDOFMEMI, it's funny you say that. When they finished the trailer they drove it over to this hay company yard to do the testing,ect. They called the state DOT to come and inspect it and one of the officers called his superviser and told them they were inspecting a large hay trailer. The really bumb thing was the supervisor told them to go home because they could not inspect a trailer unless they had pulled it over for an infraction. Trying to do it right and get it inspected before being used but the government knows better.

  6. #695zIV2009-07-20 21:40

    That supervisor must have his head stuffed right up there where only a proctologist could find it. That's just sad, I had a friend here who was driving his truck from Vermont to Florida and called up the DOT and they came down and went through the truck for him. Made life a bunch easier for him not having to worry. I'd be calling the commander of that DOT with a name and getting some answers.

  7. #7Raildudes dad2009-07-21 19:32

    I work for the local county highway agency and we "build" our own snow removal trucks. We buy the cab & chassis and install the box underbody scraper, plow frames etc. Our trucks have to be inspected by Motor carrier Division of the State Police before we are allowed to register, plate them and put them on the road.

  8. #8crash9352009-07-22 20:48

    They have them signed off by the State Police because K.C. doesnt have anyone certified to sign off on them. I worked for a shop on the south end of town building trucks for cities around us and the shop was cetified to sign off on the documents for a incomplete chassis once we were done building it and never had to have a officer stop by to check them.

  9. #9Chaz Murray2009-07-23 11:08

    I did not think that 16 tire groups were allowed in Oregon/Washington/PNW? Or is it allowed because it is so wide and considered a dual lane loader?

  10. #10JBlackwell2009-07-23 11:08

    Nice jeep, wing & steerable dollys? Are those Holland dollys axles are shop built?

  11. #11sidhou2009-07-27 02:22

    thats fantastic...