Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gorilla or Maverick Hammers / Breakers

od1 · 2010-11-05 15:18

Our company EQUIPRO has recently accepted to market both Gorilla & Maverick breakers in the US & Canada. We’ve been in business since 1984. Our company is trying to better understand the workings and the short comings of these 2 hammer / breaker providers. Any input you might have will be appreciated. We also offer sales, and support. Please visit us at www.intersat.cc . Click on the LINKS button and look for EQUIPRO . For a quote on a breaker within 24 hrs. email us at, [email protected] You’ll need to provide me with the following information. 1. What type of equipment is it for (excavator, back-hoe, bull, etc.)? 2. What is the model and year of the machine? 3. Were any modifications done such as a quick connect, etc ? Please visit my other forum “The JLG 40 foot boom dilemma” It has gone epic! :usa:canada

Replies19
  1. #1danielloaiza2012-01-04 16:57

    hello: Let me share my experience. I worked a lot in a proyect to start a repair shop of hydraulic hammers, sale spare parts and sale new hammers. I found the following: found only a single brand of American hammers arrowhead. who also do terex hammers. almost everyone else is in korea. The only one that gave me business collateral (business references and quality control) GB hammers or gb industries. who offered me several trade references throughout Latin America. to call to each of the 6 references. I found that there was but good comments about the quality of products as well as the seriousness of the company. to United States they sells to a company called tech hydraulics. I think it's under the name of gorilla if they have the same hammer taht I found in korea I think are very good good luck!!!

  2. #2od12012-03-02 14:10

    Thanks Daniel, for that information. Keep in touch.

  3. #3willie592012-03-02 18:34

    Arrowhead Rockdrill hammers are made in UK.

  4. #4od12012-03-02 22:02

    Thanks Willie59 How do they hold up?

  5. #5willie592012-03-02 22:32

    Still don't have enough data to give you a good opinion od1. The small breakers, skid and mini-hoe mount, have had no issues. The larger breakers, 200 size excavator and up, have had freaky problems, some that have yet to reveal the cause of failure, can't say whether problem is with machine or with breaker. My opinion, Arrowhead has a good concept and design, but I think they're still working out bugs, and I wish Rob (last name will remain unnamed) would take some advice from an old wrench of how to make their product a bit more mechanic friendly. Time will tell.

  6. #6demers2012-08-12 13:20

    Gorilla Hammers We purchased a Gorilla Hammer for our Caterpillar 320CL. What a disaster. First, we dealt with the owner of Gorilla Hammers, Bob Tedesco, who was an absolute jerk! All he wanted to do was to talk badly about everyone elses hammers. Then he sent out his instalation expert who didnt know anything. We kept calling and calling to get our hammer working and could get not service. My boss did some research and found out that Gorilla Hammers are actually Chinese breakers distributed by GB - General Breaker out of Korea. We eventually sold the hammer at an auction because we could never get it working correctly. If anyone else has had experiences with Gorilla or "Bobby", please let us know. Was it us or or have others had bad experiences with the Gorilla's at Gorilla Hammers?

  7. #7FELTECH2013-05-26 16:43

    God, it was not you.

  8. #8od12016-09-25 17:28

    Okay the answer is, Stay away from all Maverick products! Zero warranty, worst service while they were in business, misprints in their service manuals, The people over at Gorilla Hammers/Breakers seem to be very honest, and seem to know breakers. Good luck, OD1

  9. #9FELTECH2016-09-25 18:18

    You are correct about the Maverick company as i understand they are closed and the past owner may be in arizona. As part of our world wide service to companies that still own Maverick Hammers we now offer all replacement parts for Maverick Hammers. We now have all the drawings for all of the parts, Our parts are made in our Europe Division. We now have four Maverick hammers in our shop that we are rebuilding and have rebuilt 8 maverick hammers this year. We also offer tools such as chisels , moil points and Blunts for the hammers also. Frank FEL-TECH

  10. #10walkerv2016-09-25 18:43

    Who made the old allied breakers ? The were fairly easy to work on and the Demo company I used to work for would never get rid of them

  11. #11FELTECH2016-09-25 19:30

    Krupp Company As far as i can see, The kRUPP Company. They built the first steam hammer in 1877. A fantastic story and well worth reading.

  12. #12od12016-09-25 21:15

    Hi Frank, There were two manufactures that I knew of that built hammers for Maverick. Both of them are in South Korea. Both companies contacted us to distribute their hammers for them after Maverick bailed. They also offered us parts to service our Maverick clients.

  13. #13od12016-09-25 21:24

    Hi Demers, I first talked with Bob about my dealings with Sean (the now past owner of Maverick). He slammed Sean to me as well but with reason I thought. Sean lied about the origin of his hammers to me. He did this knowing that I was exporting them. Bob has a crazy history with Sean, hence the bad blood. As for the rest of our conversation it was mostly about breakers that were designed in Italy. Nothing negative, and pretty informative really.

  14. #14FELTECH2016-09-26 05:48

    No no no....There was only one manufacturer for maverick hammers....Period. the other hammers that you speak about that some say come from other places are "different" or "Interesting" shipping records. I looked at all the shipping records, drawings with stamped names on them, customs records. Even the past employees think that the hammers arrived from certain companies. Yes, maverick was bringing in hammers and selling the hammers. Some wooden containers had small red "x" on the wooden crate. these were special crates. Why do you think there were so many hammers sold at that time when others were not selling as many hammers. You need to look at the weight of the hammers that were shipped in and then the weight of the hammers shipped out. That is the secret. When customs examines hydraulic hammer parts that are sold, the shipping records will always say "Too dense to xray". So yes, hammers came from one plant but parts that went into the hammers from the second company, well say no more. Was he in the hammer business??? Or was he in a very different business? All the employees were fooled. They even thought that they were in the hammer business. Why so many trips overseas? Why a seperate warehouse in Warwick? Why bring back a hammer from Columbia just to change a small part on the hammer and list it "under warranty"? Just because you sold and exported a hammer to a customer, was that customer interested in the hammer or did he need" that" hammer with the crate just to arrive. Who told you that the customer was looking for a hammer in many cases. Usually it was sean. he gave you the lead and you sent the hammer. Oh well, it's all in the past now and really deserves no further discussion. Sean made money and is now out of the hammer business. I hear he is in Arizona. "Bobby boy" was looking at the hammers sold. I was also. Then the light bulb went on !! So, I wonder if sean has a statue of Saint Jesus Malverde in his house.

  15. #15od12016-09-26 12:53

    Wow, Very interesting if you're right. Our company did marketing and consulting for breakers and accessories. Clients would contact us, or we'd contact them, and get the model of their equipment. We then would match a breaker to their needs. From the get-go Maverick's orders were bad, off, missing parts, etc. Orders were always filled but not in a timely matter and that meant multiple entries which in return made our company look incompetent at customs. Our company is licensed to clear it's own goods. Now somehow through all this mess Sean moves the company. I hear he's not paying his bills and is in financial trouble. The people at Maverick tell me the move is to be closer for shipping reasons. Maybe a year later, could be two years not sure now, I get an email from the ex manager of one of the two places sean purchased. He asked me if I knew where Sean was purchasing his hammers from. I told him my side of the story and that I was done with Maverick, and Sean. He then offered me the same lines and deal. They'd put on my logo, etc. I still get emails from him, at least two a year. Not sure where the total truth is on this. Very interesting for me though, hopefully for whom ever reads this as well.

  16. #16od12016-09-29 23:02

    Thanks Feltech As for Krupp, huge company, Their history is very interesting for sure, pretty bad during WWII though. They did some pretty awful things.

  17. #17od12016-09-29 23:06

    Hey Walkerv, I've seen Allied breakers around not sure where they were made, I'll check that out.

  18. #18willie592016-09-29 23:59

    What I do know about Allied, and I ain't saying it's Gospel, as in there may be more to the story, but Allied is affiliated with Sandvik. Here is the US, it's Allied Construction Products based in Cleveland Ohio. They do build a good product, we have had and currently have a number of Allied breakers in our rental fleet. How they compare to others brands I can't say as it's not like I've had experience with every brand out there, so there's no way I can say Allied is tops. As for the pro's/con's, I'd rather not go into that here being a forum moderator, but I think I'm free to say they do build a good product that does provide support in North America, and I don't think they're going to "belly up" anytime soon.

  19. #19walkerv2016-10-01 01:06

    the ones I dealt with were old ,they had a couple newer ones with the auto greaser on them and then a couple of small atlas copco breakers for skidsteers tjhose were old as dirt also . they Cat gave them a deal once on a new cat breaker I think it went on a 345 , we rebuild it twice in 6 months was a pain in the butt in comparison to what we were used too. salesman didnt get any good feedback when he asked shop foreman about it . I think they traded it in with a bunch of bobcats when they got 12 new cat skidsteers I never saw it again