I currently have a 65 HP 5410 JD tractor that I love, it is a very nice machine, I got it for decent money, and it was VERY WELL cared for. I am very happy with this machine, but I am wondering if a skid steer would work better for me. I am wondering if a 270 or 280 JD would better suit my needs. I would buy the tracks that go over the tires, I would want a rubber tired unit. I can convert my grapple, forks and snowplow to the skid steer attachment plate so I can keep them. I would most likely try and trade the tractor, chipper and winch for a skid with a bucket and chipper, then down the road get a 6 way blade and a grinder head. What do you guys think? am I nuts, should I just keep the tractor and run it or venture out into the skid steer world.There are tractors all over the place here but no one has a skid steer, maybe a niche forming for me???
Skid steers are just one of those machines you really have to get some major seat time in to know which one is best, I'm not saying Deere is good or bad and hell, don't even think that Bobcat is any better (don't look at my screen name) Even if you are going to buy used, if you are planning to make those tracks really work for you, with all the experience I've had with those blasted OTT tracks, I bit the bullet and went for a CTL. CTL's are actually cheaper to buy used now compared to SSL, not sure why, but if you are thinking of a CTL down the road, grab them while you can.
Thanks Ron, I've never run a deere skid steer, just bobcat, I would lean towards bobcat, but they arent sold around here anymore and the deere dealer is just an our away. I am thinking a skid steer (track or wheel) could end up being a bit more versatile for me in the end:beatsme
After doing a little research, I think the newer #'s the one I would most likely get is a 320. It is just under 70 HP so that's just about like my tractor. How many GPM are required to run a chipper, and snowblower, mower.....I have a 9" bearcat chipper that runs off the PTO, any way to make it run on a hydraulic motor?? That would be clutch, less to buy. www.eelriversteel.com makes a nice looking track, that could easily be modified for snow removal by welding cleats or studs to them. I think I'll call JD on wednesday!!!!!!!!
70 hp will make somewhere around 47 hp depending on flow.
On erskines website it appears that the 320 would run a blower or a chipper with standard hyds, so I would order it with hi flow to run it easier.
Good idea, and it all depends on the torque curve of the engine too, I know my Cat makes 57 HP @ 2700 RPM and it has 32 HP @ the aux. lines, so high flow would bump it up another 10 HP, but the engine can't keep up with that.
Interesting, I'll have to ask the dealer about all of that on Wednesday.
I would not even consider a Deere unless it was the new 300 series. I would not equate Deere tractor quality with their skid steer line they are not the same. Their resale has not overcome the initial 200 series release problems. The upside is you might find a 325 equipped right for decent money especially if you are trading in your tractor which will have great value. One thing to remember on high flow blowers is they take higher hp to run most effectively, especially at higher alt. Another point to remember is that the Erskine Blower and the Quick-Attach blower are the same/Erskine and Quick Attach are the same company. I have owned HF blowers and the Erskine 2418 is the best I know of. I ran the QA version last year in MT at 9000 feet on a CASE 440 HF. Awesome. Even at that alt. in heavy snow it would throw snow 40 plus' and the engine would not even pull down. With the right size machine and blower you can move a lot of snow more effectively than anyone else with lesser equipment.
The older Deere's before the 200's were good, ones like the 33 and 44 series, I still see a few of them around.
I've got the Erskine 2418, bought it before I learned about Quick Attach. A buddy of mine just bought the Quick Attach model and it was substantially less money than what I paid for my blower 6 years ago, there's no dealer mark up. I've had one problem outside of accidental damage with mine, one of the coils on the chute control manifold burned out. It was about $25 and took a couple days to get, fortunately in between storms.
Thanks guys, some great input, any one have a pic or 2 of there machine with the blower? Steve, how many HP is your machine, and is it hi flow?? Thanks again!
My Cat 248 is either 74 or 76 hp, I don't remember which and yes it has a high flow circuit rated at 33 gpm. The blower is set up for high flow. I did a thread on it here:
Nice unit, Steve. It's great you get municipal sub work, that doenst much happen up here.
Wild hair,sometimes thats good and then other times not sooooo,Good!!! I had a deal somewhat like yours but different. Somewhat as in i had Deere tractor and wanted CTL.Checked with Cat and Deere.Cat is getting into Ag,but having Deere wanting to trade for Cat didn't go the best. Got a better trade with Deere on new CTL,financed with low interest and extra attachment all at one time.Worked for me this time. I would second the newer 300 series Deere skids.I would think a better trade with Deere for Deere then other brands.Never know tho until you check. They just might have someone looking for a Deere tractor at a Bobcat dealer.:beatsme Good luck:usa
Well I went up to JD today, and I looked at what they had on the lot. I was thinking a 320 would be just the ticket, but it is just a little but bigger than I had in mind. The 317 is not much different than the 320 in size, but enough so that I made up my mind to go with the 317. It does not have high flow, but the standard flow is 17 GPM which will run the the ES 2000 series blower which requires 11-25 GPM. Being in the middle of that should run it quite nicely. I kept the chipper I currently have, and I may either try to convert it to Hyd. from PTO, or sell it outright, and buy a little bit smaller chipper. The one I have will do 8" wood, so if I had one that would do 5 or 6 " that would be fine, as anything over that size can be burnt. I should have the 317 tomorrow, if everything goes OK, and the delivery can be made. So when she's here, I'll post pics!!:thumbsup
Before you purchase the blower I would demo it first, if that is possible. The nonHF blowers especially with only 17 gpm are not going to be overly productive. If you are just blowing your own place out it is no big deal. If you are going to blow snow commercially you will not be very productive with it. It all comes down to the application.
It's not something that will be used a ton to blow snow. Mostly my own place, We have plenty of snow removal equipment at work, but if need be the option is there. If I bring it to work, it will mostly be in the summer doing dirt work. Like I said it's my own machine, but if the need is there, Dad will say go get it. Tracks, Who has tracks, and what type do you reccomend? There are a lot to choose from. Something with good flotation in the 1000 to 1500 dollar range is perfect, there are some made out in WI that look really good for the price, they arent those chain and plate steel type.
Here is the link to them: http://www.tracksplus.com/tracks.asp I like them for the $$ Think thats what I'll get. Get the tracks and a couple of blank universal mount plates to switch over my attachments, and I'll be good for a while!!
You don't want a blower that runs on standard flow, you'll constantly be cleaning out clogs. Sure they make them, but they also make underpowered economy cars too. If you're looking for any kind of production, high flow is the only way to go.
Thanks for the input, A blower is not something thats on top of my list, if it happens it happens, if not, I am not too concerned. I have always been a plow fan myself, probably because I have never run a good blower. Like I said before, it will mainly be a dirt workin' machine.
I have run Grouser and Loegering steel tracks, I liked the Loegering better. Taking them on and off the Loegering went way better and were easier on the hands/fingers. Best bet is to find a used set that are in okay shape, save alot of money.
Thanks for the input stuvecorp!
Here she is!!! Here is a few pics of my new sweetheart! Didnt get too much time to play today, just enough to see that I am gonna love it! Hafta go back to work at 4 so I didn't get much time this afternoon either, just pushed some snow around. Gonna get the tracks soon, everyone says you can't go wrong with them.
Nice one, that's the most popular size in my area for the farming people.
Nice looking skidsteer Nedley. Is that a snow bucket that you have on it? I wouldn't know what a snow bucket looks like because...well you know.
It's supposed to be a standard bucket, although I questioned whether it was a snow bucket or not, it looks oversized a little:beatsme . A snow bucket looks like a regular bucket only bigger LOL
Thats a snow bucket or material bucket good for light stuff like snow or mulch but if you move any dirt I suggest you get the low profile construction bucket nice for grading and you can see your edge alot better. That big bucket is going to be a pain when its full of dirt. I have lots of time on a 250 sereis 2 Deere nice machines great power/breakout force for a tire machine. If you can still get a counterweight kit for the 300 series I suggest you do makes a big diffrence also keep an eye on the fan belt tension, if its a little loose the hydraulics get hot easy especialy running the auxilary Hydraulics (sorry for the crappy spelling) Good luck nice machine.
I'll see about a dirt bucket in the spring, thanks for the other pointers. I'll also look into the counterweight kit.
Nice looking machine you bought. That really does not look like the general purpose bucket to me. I have a 250 Series II and have had really good luck with it. There are Deere skid steers around this area everywhere. The very first 200 series machines had problems. The Series II addressed most of those issues and turned out really good. Even the early 200 machines with the updates done where good. My machine came with the regualt bucket but I had them swap it for a low profile.
well there is one thing i guess that they did not address and that is the wiper on the door of the cab . it still hangs down and gets bent I saw that on another new deere.
The whole cab system on the Deere is a pain. The good thing is that you can run them with the door up if your under 6ft tall, I think Deere loses a lot of sales due to there cab. The one that we had would never hold a A/C charge either, then the wiper seemed to only work when it wanted to, then a rock hit the front glass and shattered, went to the dealer and got a price and about fell over had a auto glass place make one up for me.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums BAREIN! :drinkup
Interesting - New Member here --- but I struggled with the same question and decided to go the SkidSteer route. Purchased a BobCat 753 and it has been running every weekend since on our small 8 acre farm --- that I'm converting to a par 3 golf course - My decision was to go with a utility tractor and attempt to do mowing and general push dirt objectives with one machine --- or split the tasks and go with a zero-turn mower and skid steer I'm very happy with the two machines that have ability to do best what specifically designed for