Just happen to spot this while doing 2000hrs service on my 310SL. Think I got lucky, no belt damage! Good reminder to take a good look at everything while doing any servicing.
Good deal. That could've gotten expensive!
Good catch.
Exactly why I like to be the one working on my machine!!! Not sure someone else would have seen it during the service.
Can you tell me what I'm looking at? I'm a know-nothing and I'd like to learn!
automatic belt tensioner for serpentine belt.
BTW, this can happen on your car!
Edit: @Swetz beat me to it his serpentine belt tensioner failed. I change tensioners and idler pulleys every time I change a serpentine belt. I just did one for my brother 2 weeks ago. He questioned the parts list I gave him when "I only need a belt". We got the belt off and the bearing in his idler pulley was toast. I said that's why we change them. He had forgotten my mom's van incident from years ago where the engine severely overheated, warped both heads and cracked the block. All because the idler pulley bearing failed and skipped the serpentine belt off. I was driving some buddies to Cedar Point for senior skip day. "What's that noise?" "I dunno, turn the radio up." Driving 80mph down I-69, passing everything in sight, right up until I couldn't. Steam bellowing from under the hood. We made it near Kinderhook, MI, and then had to walk 5 miles from where the van died, to a gas station with a pay phone to call my dad. He rented a uhaul trailer and came and got us. Total repair bill was around $4000 to swap a used engine in. My dad admitted he had heard a 'new' sound from the engine before our trip, but let us take the van anyways. Now, I load the parts cannon and change it all. Bearings are a lot cheaper than tow bills and replacement engines.
LOL!! Places like Rock Auto (for cars) that package it all together, make that an easy no brainer. To me, it seems that they quality of the bearings have gone down hill.
Alot of money can be saved buy just looking things over. My old boss always thought i spent to much time when i did a oil change he said one day we need to do a quick oil change.