Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got my new grousers

jwest75801 ยท 2014-11-17 11:26

Well I finally bike down and bought new pads for my small dozer my old pyramids where breaking off. I hope I can push better with these

Replies9
  1. #1AllDodge2014-11-17 11:36

    That should help

  2. #2bhtn2014-11-19 21:16

    Yes that should help. I need to put new pads on my D5M too. Guy I bought it from put new chains on but kept the worn pads. :-( Have a couple ?'s if you don't mind. Did you have to get new bolts and were the old bolts tough to get off? Cut them with a torch or did the air wrench take them off. Where did you get the new pads?

  3. #3jwest758012014-11-20 11:07

    All the pads I had left over had holes or cracked. Sorry I could not help out

  4. #4Welder Dave2014-11-20 23:48

    I have always heard to use new bolts every time you change pads or they will come lose. Also to buff/sand the rails and pads and finally to torque the bolts properly with the torque + additional turn method. When I put new tracks on my 931B, I paid the extra $200 to have the pads torqued on the track press. Had the old pads been done this way, I wouldn't have had to replace them as they were still in good shape grouser wise(street pads).

  5. #5lantraxco2014-11-21 01:29

    Properly tightened track bolts are stretched a certain amount to give maximum clamping with a little spring left over. If you reuse them, you stretch them again which necks them down in the center, and if you do happen to get to the proper torque plus turn without snapping them, they will still look like an hourglass in the middle. They will almost certainly break over time as you run the machine. An alternative for standard single bar grouser shoes is simply welding some grouser bar on the old shoes, if they are not bent or too thin. Don't need to remove them for that, just jack the machine up and go at it. Make sure you put your ground lead on each track shoe as you go though, LOL.

  6. #6kshansen2014-11-21 06:40

    You mean I can't just clamp the ground lead to the cutting edge and go to work, saves time moving it all the time!

  7. #7caterpillarmech2014-11-22 06:34

    Why not? I've seen welders do it! :Banghead

  8. #8kshansen2014-11-22 07:40

    And just think about all the final drive and transmission work it would give you!

  9. #9jwest758012014-11-24 11:20

    The only problem i have had is when putting the master links bolts in I blee the same threads out on the bolt now I have to get a tap on o clean the threads out. I hope I don't have any more problems with this.