Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got stuck, tow strap size…

Welder Dave · 2019-05-12 01:22

I had a load of dry loam on the tandem dump truck and backed into a soft spot and sunk the passenger side. The guy helping me has never run equipment and obviously hasn't been stuck very bad either. He said he had a heavy duty strap, OK. Brings a 2" strap. I said what is that rated for...3500lbs. I said I think it's just going to snap. He asked how much the truck ways and I said closer to 35,000lbs. He was completely shocked it weighed that much. He said his strap was good for a 1 ton., Yeah maybe stuck in the snow. LoL It's a double frame heavy spec. truck. I had a big chain and a heavy cable and thankfully the 931B was able to pull it out without much trouble. He was impressed with the power of the Cat. It's around 22,000lbs. with the hoe on the back. I showed him how to run the skid steer and I think he had a lot more respect for operators. He said these things aren't easy to run.

Replies22
  1. #1Birken Vogt2019-05-12 01:58

    I have a new pet peeve. People who use the word "just" in an unthinking way. "Just" grab that tow strap and we'll "just" yank the truck out of the mud hole. "Just" bury it in conduit from A to B, it should not take very long. "Just" move the whole installation over there. It often shows a complete lack of understanding or lack of respect for the job being done.

  2. #2seville0092019-05-12 09:58

    So you’re saying the package of 80lb clothesline I keep in truck for emergency pull outs may not cut it.....?

  3. #3John C.2019-05-12 12:01

    It's like the phrase "good enough". It doesn't have to be perfect, it only has to be good enough to pull the truck out.

  4. #4petepilot2019-05-12 12:01

    probably not

  5. #5Tags2019-05-12 12:25

    I'd like to add a couple with the word "quickly" added if you don't mind.... Since you're here could you "just quickly" pull those two oak stumps Could you "just quickly" level that 40x100 area with the extra fill Before you go "just quickly" grade up the driveway

  6. #6Tenwheeler2019-05-12 18:49

    Look up Big Bubba. Those snatch ropes with some D rings are pretty impressive.

  7. #7Welder Dave2019-05-12 21:13

    Another annoying one "At this point in time". Time doesn't come to a point. Either say at this point or at this time, not both.

  8. #8Tarhe Driver2019-05-13 08:48

    It depends on how many times you can double it.

  9. #9fast_st2019-05-13 08:54

    At some point in your stuckedness, a 3500 pound snatch pull might have just been what you needed. My lil dozer has a 24T winch at some point not too deep, it won't pull out a 33k pound load single line.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2019-05-13 17:24

    I am confused. Did the guy pull you out with your 931B crawler that is equipped with a backhoe. Or did you teach him to run a skidsteer after someone else pulled you out with your loader Cat. A pet peeve of mine is when a crawler is called a skidsteer.

  11. #11Welder Dave2019-05-14 22:17

    I had him back up the 931B with backhoe to pull the truck out. When he first got in the seat he asked how do you steer it, it has no steering wheel. LoL Put it reverse and turn the throttle. I had to put the truck in gear to help. He said it's not to hard to run. He backed it up 6 feet. He wanted to learn how to run equipment so after the truck was unstuck I got him to try spreading out piles with the skid steer. Sometimes it's better to just do stuff yourself.

  12. #12old and slow2019-06-02 06:46

    If you want to have good rigging to pull equipment out, find a shop in your area or internet and buy slings made for lifting (crane industry) a 4 inch double ply at any length is rated at 12,000 # eye to eye 24,000 in a basket. A 20 foot cost around 100.00 . A blue endless 20 foot has a 22,000 # capacity cost around 150.00 all these slings are rated at 5 to 1 safety factor. Cheap for the safety it provides.

  13. #13ianjoub2019-06-02 08:40

    Rednecks around here use old fire hose.

  14. #14DMiller2019-06-02 09:10

    I still have an old 4" wide actual snatchem strap we used in IL when worked the grain elevator/flour mill. Bought it at the local Farm store for IIRC $45 in 1979, rated at ? stretches like a rubber band and then the stretch aids in the recovery as it recoils when the load starts moving. We used it behind a FWD Articulated Stieger pulling loaded semis out of ditches in heavy snow. Probably about to end of useful life but still handy so keep it.

  15. #15Bls repair2019-06-02 11:00

    I use a 20 ‘ 1/2 chain 2 parted . If one is not enough I Carry 2 of them.

  16. #16DMiller2019-06-02 13:55

    Chains will fail so too straps, straps are a little more forgiving when shear, chains NOT so friendly and cables will cut something in half before finish ripping apart.

  17. #17DIYDAVE2019-06-02 20:29

    Chain or cable, I usually drape a coat or towel over it, during a hard pull, makes the chain or cable drop, not fly, when it breaks... Reminds me of these poor unfortunates:

  18. #18DMiller2019-06-02 21:36

    Ooops!

  19. #19DMiller2019-06-03 07:22

    All too many would never consider throwing a tarp or blanket or coats on a chain, that is where the problems occur.

  20. #20old-iron-habit2019-06-03 22:52

    I salvaged a 50 ft. or so piece of 1-1/2" nylon ship hawser line that I tied a loop in each end. I have jerked to the max with about everything I have and it has not tore up yet. I guess if it will hold a ship to the dock in heavy seas it will hold up to yank a truck out of the mud.

  21. #21Tenwheeler2019-06-04 20:36

    I have seen these type things break between two 2505 Terragators. They could have been old. I like the longer ones like that personally but do not know where to get them anymore.

  22. #22petepilot2019-06-04 20:51

    t there went that 10 g.towbill