Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Got the backhoe blues?

Phil ยท 2007-12-25 07:10

Cheer up, you could actually have a blue backhoe, like me. I had to have it, I just told the misses Santa came one day early . Found it near the Ivy Lea bridge to U.S.A., which is a beautiful area called the Thousand Islands. Lots of granite outcroppings, pine trees and islands. A nice setting for ol' blue. Hope everyone has a good family dinner this holiday and get some new backhoe parts under the tree. Phil

Replies20
  1. #1coopers2007-12-25 23:30

    HA! That's an old case. I just got the history of case backhoes (50th anniversary) from Case by my parents. Great book!! :drinkup Has a lot of info on Case, how they started and the birth of the backhoe/loader from case. That one is in there! Blake WA

  2. #2Dozerboy2007-12-26 17:17

    Burrrrrrr

  3. #3JS580SL2007-12-26 20:46

    Nice machine! hey is the Case website the only place you can buy that book? I really want one. thanks, Jim

  4. #4Steele2007-12-27 20:24

    You need those windows tinted !!!!!!!

  5. #5Dusty2007-12-27 20:39

    Lol Tint Thats Funny

  6. #6coopers2007-12-27 21:30

    It might be....amazon might have it or ebay but I gave the link to my mom for xmas and she got it for me. It's really neat book. Good to have around to brush up on the history of the TLB and Case in general. Blake WA

  7. #7JS580SL2007-12-27 21:43

    Im a die hard Case man as far as backhoes so Id like to pick the book up. Alot of good pictures in it?

  8. #8coopers2007-12-27 22:11

    Yeah there's some fairly decent pictures. I was hoping there would be more of the C's, D's, and E's but they didn't throw too much in there. A lot of neat pictures of the first backhoes though. Wow were they ugly and more of pain to move around! I was hoping for maybe more action shots of backhoes that people own and stuff but they didn't. Oh well, still a good book. Blake WA

  9. #9Phil2008-01-18 06:29

    Old blue revisted Got the cab on. It's a Simns, not an original but in excellent condition, all the lights and both wiper motors work. Even the headlights in front of the rad work. Bought a heater out of a David Brown 1200 and put it in, with a new seat and steering wheel. Don't you just love that colour? Phil

  10. #10Swampfoxo2015-05-26 23:43

    Phil great looking backhoe. I just bought a 580 b . After reading all ur post as well as others I'm getting up to speed. I need gauges and I have no brakes. Power only in 1 and 2 gear. I saw about the pickup tool. The mod has never been done on mine so it might be a good sign. Bought brakes for both sides. Oh there's a dip in one side of the actual drum is that in or does it face out I only removed 1 side so I have the other for help in how it should go back. Brake springs are gone. Bot brakes are on the floor. The so call clutch, aka dump valve doesn't return up. Feel it's springs. I bought a manual off eBay. I'm learning. Oil is milky in ? Rear end. These folks used a 303 oil in it. I'm thinking it might have to do with the power lose as well. No telling how many folks owned it before me.im ticked pink . I couldn't see buying new just don't need it that much. I want to fix it up new steering wheel seat lights . Mike

  11. #11Swampfoxo2015-05-26 23:50

    I got the new brakes but if I don't fix rather dropping brake pedals I'm afraid it'll eat my new brakes up. The whole inside the housing I pulled off was packed with mud. Shoes couldn't return if they wanted. So I got her cleaned out . Seal was good no sign of oil period. I noticed a drain hole guess that is the story teller on the seal. What do t know is normal operation. How does things work when it's all good. Brakes shuttle. Etc. what can I exspect outta it.

  12. #12fixou8122015-05-27 15:57

    Nice job on the cab Phil......you look pale in that photo wish out one! Hope you're better now. ....As ever Fixou812

  13. #13Tinkerer2015-05-27 16:20

    You have exceeded your quota for stored private messages fixou. I tried to PM you about Phil. Unfortunately for all of us he has not posted anything since Dec. of 2010.

  14. #14davo7272015-05-27 18:51

    Yep I wish I knew what happened but 4 years of no posts is a bad sign.

  15. #15Swampfoxo2016-08-09 11:38

    well phil sorry I don't look up my messages to often on here but that's a great blue tractor. phile I have a question. if my try to go up a hill on my 580 b say I assume a high gear it almost stops and when I downshift it eases on up the huill is this normal for these tractors. mike

  16. #16Billrog2016-08-09 13:08

    Mike the new hoes have a lock up converter and will climb better in a higher gear but the older ones I've had would not climb much of a hill in any gear but 1st or 2nd.

  17. #17Swampfoxo2016-08-12 23:47

    Well thanks . I hope I haven't bought a money pit but I'm up to the challenge. How can I tell which shuttle parts I need in the granny. There's a twin screw and a Rockford. Can I tell which I have without splitting the tractor. I wanna order some parts

  18. #18Juskatla2016-08-13 01:31

    If you have access to a Service Manual, you can take off the cover ahead of the transmission and compare it to pics in the manual or some posts on this forum. I just went through my Rockford and have posted pics in my thread on here - 68 580Ck Project. There are a few others if you search for them. Parts are available and I use Dale Weiss at Tractorstuff, who has been great to deal with. Hope this will help you.

  19. #19Swampfoxo2017-02-11 13:19

    Thanks for the info

  20. #20Swampfoxo2017-02-11 13:20

    I don th need speed just verifying it's running right. Flat road she does pretty good but bouncy. Just go slow.