Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Digging in limestone

danielm ยท 2007-12-16 15:02

I'm digging a hole and got into soft rock that's getting harder at about four feet. Need to go another four if possible for the basement. Is there a universal breaker for old equipment available? Dynamite?

Replies31
  1. #1DirtHauler2007-12-16 15:13

    Well, Guess we need to know what old means to you. I would imagine that if you could manage to get it attached to the end of the stick and had the right pressure hydrolics and your pump could meet the need of the braker, that you could put about any breaker of the appropriate size on. I know some machines have nitrigon installed or something to hydrolics for running breakers but I dun know much about if it is needed or why.

  2. #2danielm2007-12-16 15:26

    Old. This might be a post for the "old Iron" section. I will be using a small IH 2400 backhoe. So far I've dug a decent size hole 40x50x4' using my old MF203 Workbull. I think its circa 1963-65, 40hp Perkins. I just go slow and "treat it like my grandma" like the local parts dealer tells me. I figure if I can find a hammer for the hoe I'll eventually get there.

  3. #3JS580SL2007-12-17 15:09

    Try throwing a 1ft bucket on before buying a hammer if you have the bucket. If the rock is soft so far, the narrower bucket will give you better breakout and ease to pick between cracks in the rock to pull it out.

  4. #4danielm2007-12-19 10:03

    Picking up the backhoe today. I'll see how it picks at the rock and start looking for a narrow bucket. I could use it for some needed trenching anyways.

  5. #5dirthog2007-12-19 20:28

    hyd hammer you are going to have a hard time running a hammer on that old machine first there is most likley not any hyd lines on it to run a hammer second it would be VERY expensive to install if you could find the parts also that small machine will not have enough hyd flow to run a hammer unless it is a very small one

  6. #6danielm2007-12-19 20:57

    Ahh... very encouraging. What kind of volume does a small hammer require? What else would be demanding hydraulics when using a hoe hammer? It looks to me things are almost standind still when hammering. I'll just pick at it 'till I get there. No hurry...

  7. #7digger242j2007-12-19 21:15

    I'd look into renting a pneumatic hammer. It's been a few years, but I've been able to rent one small enough to mount on a 580C. I think it took about a 185 cfm air compressor to run it. A bigger one took about a 250. The only drawback is that it's a chore to switch back and forth between hammer, and bucket, when it comes time to dig out what you've broken up.

  8. #8dirthog2007-12-20 07:38

    hammer The smallest hammer would need around 7-10 gal per min. plus around 2100-2400psi. you still need flow to the other function to keep pressure on the boom and dipper stick also to move the bucket to keep the hammer working right. we have had people try and install to large of a hammer on to small of a machine at our dealership thinking they did not need any flow other than to run the hammer and they are always very upset when it does not work right.

  9. #9xcavate772007-12-20 16:30

    hammer/breaker best bet is to rent a hoe w/ a breaker several advantages no wear and tear on your iron no swapping attachments hammers are expensive (over 10K for a new one and used ones are cheap for 1 reason they are junk 90% of the time)

  10. #10danielm2008-02-05 11:19

    Slow progress I've been picking at this rocky hole a couple of hrs a week for the past few weeks and have got a good size area down to around 8 feet of depth. There's a few spots my bucket just won't cut. I'm wondering if some tiger teeth might help fracture the hard rock. Twin or single tooth??? Diggin up some really interesting fossils.

  11. #11Phil2008-02-05 20:13

    I had chance to buy a frost pick for an E that I bought last summer. The chap wanted a fair bit for it and my friend said they weren't very popular. Would something like that work good in limestone or is the point not sharp enough to get under the layer? I suppose there's the hassle of changing back to the bucket too. Phil

  12. #12danielm2008-02-05 20:52

    Looking at the teeth on this bucket I noted that they appear to be staked in place. No pins or bolt that I could see. I don't think I can change 'em.

  13. #13dirthog2008-02-05 21:09

    teeth those would be a older style of tooth believe the # is2A there are not as many styles around for those not sure about tiger teeth but I will look tomorrow

  14. #14danielm2008-02-06 10:32

    Thanks.

  15. #15PineHandlePro2008-02-06 17:47

    Dunno if this would help, low grade legal explosive ran across it on the web awile back http://www.ezebreak.com They have a testimonal (true or not) about using their product in place of a hydo hammer on limestone. Fire in the hole!!

  16. #16Countryboy2008-02-06 20:49

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums PineHandlePro! :drinkup

  17. #17PineHandlePro2008-02-06 21:35

    Thanks! Been reading for awile, finally had somethig to add. Great site!!

  18. #18danielm2008-02-06 22:09

    Thanks and welcome to the forum. I may end up having to use something like that.

  19. #19jughead2008-02-10 07:26

    i bought some stuff a few years back in alabama. it was a white powder. mixed it with water about the thickness of heavy cream. drille d a row of holes in the rock. poured them full went back the next day had pieces of rock that my hoe could handle. it expands when it dries. if interested will look around for name on an old bag.

  20. #20danielm2008-02-23 13:09

    Some progress... Slowly picking at it and I have one small area is down to the proper depth. I'm about to throw in the towel and hire someone with a large track hoe. Although, the plan for this house was to "pay as I go" so, hiring the excavation may deplete the current budget. We'll see. So far none of the three have bothered to call me back. I think they hear "rock". Here's a couple of shots. Looking up from the hole and one small pile of many that I have moved. Got Rock?

  21. #21JS580SL2008-02-24 14:43

    They should be embarrassed if you pickin away with that international backhoe and they wont touch it with a excavator......your showing them up, haha Keep up the good work!:usa

  22. #22Phil2008-02-24 19:19

    International would be proud of you. Great pictures...Phil:canada

  23. #23danielm2008-02-24 21:35

    Thanks. The grade drops off just beyond that cedar in the second pic. I'm using an old MF203 "Workbull" (circa 1960s I think) loader to push the rock over the hill for rip rap. Trucking the rest of it to other low wash spots at the ranch. There's a spectacular view to the west across the valley below. About three miles across the valley I can see a old rock quary. I may drive over there and see if they have anyone that might be willing to do some excavating. Although I've dug down to 8 feet or so in one spot I'm afraid the little International has reached its limit. There are some shelf rocks that it won't hardly scratch. I'm going to try to move around and see if I can dig around in a few spots and loosen the hard stuff up. Rain from two days ago has it full of water. Maybe the rock will melt.

  24. #24danielm2008-04-21 10:01

    Still pickin' at it... The little International is holding her own. I've found that if I keep moving around and hit those big rocks at different angle they will eventually come loose. I try to work at it a few hrs a week in the evenings and on weekends. I'm down about eight feet in a pretty good size area. Starting to have to look for low places to dump all the rock... lots of rock. I had a little scare the other day when I noticed the ground shift around the outriggers. It never occured to me that I might topple off into my own grave. I got to be careful about digging up too close to the machine. Anyone else here dig a basement?

  25. #25JS580SL2008-04-21 10:49

    Plenty of basements and additions. Normally use the excavator for the basements and the backhoe for the additions. Team the two together for big jobs.

  26. #26digger242j2008-04-21 10:52

    I've dug a few...

  27. #27danielm2008-04-21 11:45

    Any tips on backfilling??? Other than making sure the walls are braced... As I have a huge drop to the west I plan on laying french drains at the bottom of the foundation wall and allowing any groundwater to go that direction. The structure will have a 10 foot overhang beyond the foundation wall. I think that will help alot also. Being mostly rock and up on a hill the hole appears to drain well already.

  28. #28JS580SL2008-04-21 12:17

    Give it adequate time to cure then just take the time to either weed out any large rocks or spend some money and get nice clean fill or structural fill. Compacting every 2 ft is a good way to do it but your choice. Dont run the tractor part of the machine too close to the foundation with out the deck on.

  29. #29danielm2008-04-21 22:43

    Last bit of excavating will require a hammer so, I'll have some smaller rock to use as fill. What is "structural fill" ?

  30. #30JS580SL2008-04-22 16:41

    Structural fill is qaulity material suitable for use under structures wether it be a road, drive way, foundation backfill, etc.

  31. #31danielm2008-04-30 00:09

    The lil' IH 2400 really gets after it this afternoon. I trenched to the edge of the cliff for drainage. Its about a 120+ foot drop just past the trees. There's still about two feet of water in the hole as seen here. It drained eventually. The old F600 running on WVO move a few loads this afternoon.