Since the switch to ULSD, many users are going through fuel filters like there's no tomorrow.. many people labor under the impression that ULSD is a solvent, which de - laminates the layers of gunk in the tank until the fuel quits running through the filter.. ...that explanation sounds plausible, until the filters clog on a truck or equipment..and if the clogging happens over and over again, how could the engine ever run right, if the fuel system was loaded with enough gunk to cause so many filter changes? Actually, sulfur ( being an acid ) is what kept bacteria, fungus, and yeast in check. with the removal of sulfur, ULSD is an incubator for contaminants to grow... so the chances of filter plugging go up exponentially with this new fuel. ointhead Anyone else ? Share your thoughts .
Haven't seen any problems with bacteria, fungus, or yeast with ULSD.
NB, I haven't heard this about ULSD, although it may be true.:beatsme I did read that about Bio-diesel, that it's very solvent and will clean any crude out of the tanks and lines which will clog the filters. This plugging problem is increased if the fuel suppliers tanks are also dirty, in which case it could end up in your tank if it's not filtered properly beforehand. I was under the impression the problem with bacteria/fungus in fuel, causing fuel troubles, was dependent on having water contamination also. Perhaps the ULSD may increase that problem once started?
I have noticed an increse in build up in the filters running the ULSD. I'm usually changing my filter every 10,000 miles now where as before i was doing it every 20,000 with an oil change. It has slowed down over the last month (the build up), dont know if its because of the warmer weather or because i have been trying to buy fuel at the same fuel stops on a regular basis.
no problems yet.
That looks like fuel waxing. Is it waxy at all? How often is it happening?
This brings up a question of my own. I don't know if it is caused by ULSD or not, but my LTS9000 goes through fuel filters at the rate of about one every 2000 miles, or less. They are usually blocked up with crud, and such, not wax. I would think that after a few filter changes, the tanks would have gotten rid of most of their crud. So how do you go about cleaning the crud out of the tanks? They aren't visibly rusty or nasty looking inside. The company that owned it before me had let it sit for a year or two, but the tanks were TIGHT FULL. Paul
Sounds like a gynecologists best dream come true.Ka---ching
Humm Now I Have To Check Mine Thanks For The Pics
P Backus, I have a friend that bought a used Peterbilt truck that had the same problem. He changed the filters every 1,000 to 2,000 miles about 7 or 8 times before the problem stopped. No problems since.
So there's hope for me yet! I'll just keep supporting the filter companies for now then. That's better than pump or injector trouble any day. I always carry a spare now. Thanks. Paul