Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GPS / ANTI THEFT Tracking

Flienlow · 2019-03-28 17:05

What is everyone using to GPS/Anti theft tracking for their heavy equipment. Everyday I hear stories of stuff being stolen. I would be sick. What can and should I do?

Replies15
  1. #1buckfever2019-03-28 18:23

    We take our stuff down every night. It takes a little while in the morning to get set up but I know I don’t want to be the one that has to make the call to my dad to tell him someone still out globe. I know of companies around here that leave all their technology in their machines and on their base. That just seems stupid and lazy to me.

  2. #2DIYDAVE2019-03-28 20:31

    I've had a lojack in one particular item, for years (10, maybe15?) never hadda call in on it, cause most of the time, I don't leave it on a jobsite. Best ptactice, imho is if you value it, don't leave it, IMHO!

  3. #3cuttin edge2019-03-28 22:24

    Do you mean the grade control stuff or the heavy equipment it'self

  4. #4td25c2019-03-28 22:36

    We still use the Kojak system . Jim Rockford is good to but a little pricy at $ 200.00 a day plus expenses .

  5. #5thepumpguysc2019-03-29 02:51

    Pops had a Lo-Jak on his brand new Kenworth.. by the time it was activated & the signal was tracked the truck went from Florida to a chop shop in Texas & was unrecognizable or usable.. The insurance paid it off.. but they woulda paid it off regardless.. seeing it was stolen.. I guess it just made the process a lot quicker.

  6. #6mg23612019-03-29 04:52

    Many systems today have Geo-Fencing which can send out an alert if the machine is moved.

  7. #7DoyleX2019-03-29 07:18

    You dont have to spend big money on theft deterrent. They sell fake lojack stickers, premises under video surveillance signs, dummy and real cameras. They also sell shotguns, bear traps, and woodchippers. In the stolen the most stuff a easy fuel solenoid cut out switch is what you need. A game camera and a dummy on the site with a video surveillance sign will stop 99% of em.

  8. #8cuttin edge2019-03-29 08:20

    I know it is more convenient, but I always thought having one key fits all to be a bad idea. Everyone in the country has a cat key.

  9. #9td25c2019-03-29 21:54

    My take on it is the job itself . Who your working for and the neighborhood working in . If it looks a little sketchy it probably is …..

  10. #10cuttin edge2019-03-29 22:14

    One of the reservations here, if we do any jobs for the band, we can't leave any equipment on site over the weekend. Overnight is ok, but everything has to be hauled to a contractor yard a few miles away for the weekend.

  11. #11RZucker2019-03-29 22:21

    Yes, but I have installed many hidden cutoff switches that cut cab or ECM power on many machines. If those get stolen... it was an employee or one really smart cat. Behind the seat, under the cab skirts... About as good as anything. And yes I have a huge key ring that will start almost anything.

  12. #12td25c2019-03-29 22:24

    I just hide the starting fluid in cold weather . LOL

  13. #13RZucker2019-03-29 22:34

    That only works on turbo Detroits.

  14. #14check2019-03-29 22:42

    The more cats get stolen, the more cats they sell! Why should they change?

  15. #15Tinkerer2019-03-30 10:15

    Machine specific keys for say, Caterpillar would be a nightmare for a contractor that may have 30 or more machines running multiple shifts. There are always some operators that take the keys home at the end of the shift. Sometimes they will pull them out of an unattended machine. I saw it happen over and over again.