Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

GPS: Do you use it?

digster ยท 2008-04-23 21:35

Hey fellas, I saw a John Deere dozer concept which had two huge GPS beacons on the corners of loader. I was wondering if any of you use it or would considering using it? I search the threads and didn't see it brought up on any topics.

Replies6
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2008-04-24 17:56

    Maybe try searching again. There have been several lively threads recently about GPS and the pros and cons of it. I for one am a fan. Sitework has never been faster than with machines on automatic.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2008-04-24 18:53

    If I didn't I could never find the job site every morning

  3. #3pushcat2008-04-24 22:27

    Dozer or loader? I'm confused. Don't take much though.:beatsme

  4. #4Burnout2008-04-24 23:10

    I have never been much on the GPS as far as equipment goes, but got to talk in depth with Mass-X about it back in march, and finally today I got to see a D6N with GPS do some final grade and the speed increase was noticeable. As for GPS on my machine? Never..... I am a man and I don't need directions. I'll find it myself.

  5. #5CAT D9H2008-04-25 01:05

    Ive been around some small Cat and deere dozers that had GPS, I have never used it, I dont know if I would like using it, it seems confusing but then again I dont know a whole lot about it

  6. #6JimBruce422008-04-25 21:53

    I think it's a great time saver, and can work great (though there are areas/times when thet signal can go weak and screw you up:Banghead). The company I work for has it on most of our dozers, Mass excavators, 815's, graders, and maybe even on a paver or two.