Maybe Nac, or Bins, or K&W, or CM1995, or somebody else that has to take stuff to the landfills all the time can answer this question. If you were to take a 30 yard rolloff, full of construction debris, and hide something in it that should rightly go to a more, shall we say, regulated disposal site, what are the chances of getting caught? Does anybody ever look at what's coming out of those cans before it gets pushed over and covered up, or can you get away with doing something that you technically shouldn't do? (Disclaimer: It ain't me I'm asking for.)
Got something to hide maybe????
We've never had a problem with it, we knocked down a old barn that had about 20 tires in it, and they are suppose to be separated and sent to another part of the landfill. Nope they get put in the center of each load until they are all gone. The landfill has a guy that picks the tires out of loads... I look at it as job security. We also have several dumps for "construction debris" only and no wet garbage/ white goods. had to remove a fully furnished house that had caught on fire so all the white goods and furniture and to be bured in each load. They did eventually tell us not to bring old freezers with 4 month old rotton meat in them
I deal with railyards only and 1 transfer staion that sorts everything. Most of the time there are trucks waiting so as soon as you dump the loader just pushes into there pile
Nope. Not me. Let's just say I have a friend that I don't want to see get into trouble, whether he deserves it or not.
Sore subject I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country but in Central Fl it's a real PITA. Almost monthly rule changes. We have four landfills within 20 miles,at times only one will take "yard debris" other times all four will take it. I stopped in one morning to see if city dump would take "yard debris" they said yes. Dump truck went to dump and they wouldn't let him in. Had to go to the other side of the county to dump. If there is some one watching you dump you better hope you don't have 2X4 in with the "yard debris" , then it becomes "mixed debris". That costs more to dump. If some one throws "household garbage" in with your" construction debris" and some "yard debris" it becomes hazordous waste and that really costs alot. Hope you never find a bunch of old tires you need to get rid of. Max 4 tires and have to be matching size. Around here if you have any doubts we send it 40 miles North to a private dump. Pete
Would this said "friend" be the "item" or "items" in the aforementioned question of "hiding" something in a 30 yard roll off bin? I just watched a re-run of Sopranos on A&E this morning, I'm really quite annoying all day after those episodes.
Nac, do you go to Epic in Newark? Hows the carting division. I saw the VHD on 80 a few weeks ago. Typically I see you on 287 or on 17.
Not yet. Actually, I hadn't even thought of that possibility. You're a bad influence on me. Quite a few years ago, on one job, the highlift operator had an old dodge dart that finally gave up the ghost. He squashed it with a 955 and put it in the dumpster. I heard the company got a phone call about that . Last year, I was instructed to add a couple of old railroad ties to a box that was for "wood waste" (stumps tree and brush, etc.), only. They have an operation where they grind it up and make topsoil. I know the guy got a phone call about that as well. That's why I wondered just how much you can get away with, if it's smaller than a car, and going to a landfill.
At the c & d landfill here they actually climb up and look in the bed of the truck before you dump. Then they stand and watch as you dump. Before the next truck dumps, your load is pushed away. It would be very hard to get away with anything around here. They sanitary landfill is even worse. It's a $250 fine for every tire.
If it will get into the bucket, I put it in the can. A few years ago I loaded an old Ford Courier pick up in to a 40 yard along with some house demo debris. I also burried an old underground heating oil tank in with some demo debris. I did have the tank pumped, but there was still oil pouring out as I slung it in the can. Never heard anything more out either situation
See, that's what I was worried about.
segregate it and send it where it needs to go. your can get away with it, however getting caught can be expensive (very, just sent off some low level rad waste @ $1300 per cubic FOOT!!!!) and the least of which is, we do need to take a little better care of the planet we are on.
sounds like digger is up to some monkeybusiness:beatsme
Again, nope. Not me. I will say, I've been party to a lively discussion about monkeybusiness. I respect the opinions and experience level of many of our members here, and know that if the question could be answered, asking it here would provide that answer. (Note to my ex-wife; Don't flatter yourself, dear. I know how your mind works. This isn't about you, and I don't need you to mail me a copy to prove you've read it.)
LOL!! Every time I think I've got it bad, I always come across something that lets me know there's others who are worse off than me. Thanks digger!!
Sounds rather like here in UK. I have known trucks to be stopped at the exit and returned to the tip area to be reloaded with what they had just dumped Whilst not a tree hugger or :angel I have to agree 100% with Big Iron. You still have a lot of space and holes to fill in your vast country, but we have wasted that resourse and are only now learning to seperate, reuse or recycle. Its a PITA to get used to but like eating and breathing after a time it seems almost natural :falldownlaugh :lmao :lmao :lmao
I think he finally got fed up with Squizzy messing with him
I do know if you hide a rail road tie in the load of wood waste, and it's found, the land fill owners will crap pickles, we've been caught doing that once in 15 years of business.
i was just kidding digger, i couldnt help but jump on the bandwagon, for a moment.
I look at it as job security as well here's what happens to them after I pick them up at the landfill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rBGApcMJ9Y
We've put demo, yard, and household debris in the same dumpster and nobody's complained. But I think the waste company separates it all before they shred the wood and send the rest of it to the dump or the power plant.
Mr Digger, I won't ask any more "questions" about your inquiry for fear that I might have to answer the "mans" questions later. Seriously though, in my neck of the woods, we have basically 4 types of landfills: MSW, C&D, Inert and Industrial. The MSW landfills accept everything but: tires, sludge and asbestos (without prior notice) and containers that can hold any liquid. The C&D landfills accept normal C&D waste and some accept asbestos. The inert landfills are for dirt, rock, cured asphalt, concrete (without rebar protruding) and masonry type items. They are not permited except for a NPDES storm water permit, which requires inspections and reporting, just like any grading project over 1 acre. They are usually pretty diligent about keeping prohibited items out of their facilities. I have one (for our private use only) that we use for my construction company, one of my partners utility company and our roll-off company. Industrial landfills are usually private for manufacturing type companies. IE - US Steel, ACIPCO, United Plywood, Elk, Tamko, etc. They use them to dispose of manufacturing debris, usually on their own property and are not open to the public. Now that is the way it is supposed to be. I was dumping a load of C&D on a Saturday in the C&D cell at the county landfill and seen the landfill operators directing a rear-load full of MSW to dump in the C&D cell. They had the MSW cell access road blocked off. But hey it's saturday and they are working in a landfill. This particular landfill will pretty much take anything you bring in - white goods, tires, paint cans, rail road ties, etc. They also except asbestos but the paperwork is horrendous. And I add that this particular County owned landfill is the most profitable in the southeast and a very efficient facility. They are not supported by tax dollars but rather a "stand alone" entity and they always seem to have a brand new D8T or compactor operating at the face. BTW - the gate rate is $19 per ton for MSW and C&D. There is one private C&D landfill that takes pretty much anything hauled in there. There have been many loads of C&D mixed with MSW going in there - don't ask how I know . We have a disclaimer stating things we do not accept in our roll-offs on every invoice and delivery ticket. Rail road ties, appliances, paint cans, house hold chemicals, batteries and containers more than 5 gallons that are not crushed or rendered useless for holding liquids. The reality is we have never been refused to dump or reloaded for "banned" items. So I guess it depends on the landfill. Around here if you have an account and make it across the scales you can dump whatcha' brought. The only ones at the dumping face are the operators of the D8's and compactors. Now if you don't dump in the place the operators want you to - they can get pretty testy.
Tire disposal ? Here, everyone pays $3 for the tire dealer to take the old tires to the dump. Then they get stockpiled for many (5-6)years, and when a new cell is built they lay them(tires for the last 5-6 years) down on the bottom. Then the garbage is laid on top, with daily dirt cover. Underneath all that is an elaborate leachate collection system, with a heavy liner.
Never knew that, bet those sure would burn though
Putting all those tires in the cell like that must take enormous amounts of manual labor!
Thanks, all, for the replies. 637slayer, I didn't take that comment seriously. CM1995, thank you for going into such detail. That was very educational. I guess we'll just have to see how this turns out. If I don't post anything more abiout it, we can conclude that I was being overly cautious. :beatsme
digger did you get my PM
Tire Placement ? Hello Bobcat Ron, Actually, a loader loaded the stockpiled tires into an ADT, that hauled them down to the bottom, of the cell, then a excavator sat on the tire pile , and threw them out to laborer's, that placed them , so that they touched on the sides. The nutty inspector would not let the excavator sit on the sand bed. ????????? Or place them, had to be done by hand ????????? Ahhhh , :Banghead such is life. Just more idiots in control !
Digger--can you move your X wife over a little so I can have a little space for my X???? Seriously,why not just be landfill specific and ask someone who regularly dumps there.
I don't know which landfill it would go to, and besides, while we have members from all over the world, there may not be anyone right here in the Pittsburgh area that would even see the question, let alone have the answer. And I don't really personally know anyone that goes to the landfill very often. That's why I just put it out there as a general question for the forum. (I'm not very involved with anything but digging. To put it in perspective, I was at a local transfer station with some roofing material, from my own roof, a couple of years ago. I think I paid $60 for one ton. The last time I personally set foot in a sanitary landfill, it cost me $15 to dump a tandem load.)
Depends on what you are hauling in as well to the dumps... and if you get to know them. I do alot of hauling for other companies, and am at the Orange county landfill a lot as well as some other privates. They dont really question what i have in the truck, and once and awhile i can sneak something in that i didnt know was in there ops
This Saturday past I had 4 tonnes of concrete and sand in the truck but the Landfill was closed. I went to the city dump and they said it was mixed waste $320 This totally contravenes their own rules so I said it can wait till Monday and kindly offered them advice about what they could do with their weighbridge (but apparently it wouldn't fit)...cost me $33 at the Landfill. (I hate square wheels though)