I have a 1990 534c6. When I extend the boom to between the 3 and 4 marks(and beyond) it slows down and then wont retract or if it does, very slowly.Sometimes I have to raise it completely to get it to retract. Anyone have any idea what might cause this? Thanks
Start with the simple stuff. Whats the hydraulic fluid level/condition?
If it's low on hyd fluid it will make a bad grinding noise when the boom is up and out. That's when the fluid level in the tank is the lowest. I would look at wear pads. If the top rear pads are gone and the bottom outer pads are shot the boom will droop really badly and could bind enough to stop boom retraction. I would think about pump pressure but a weak pump would limit what it will lift. If the lift is strong I would worry about the pump or fluid. I would be looking at the wear pads and the tele cylinder. Also if the wear pads are shop it will make a screeching noise extending or retracting.
fluid is good
thanks i will look at that