Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

telehandler attachments…

stumpjumper83 ยท 2015-04-07 20:07

Anyone ever tried putting some kind of grabber attachment on the end of a tellehandler boom for the purpose of building demo? Also do any of the 6k pound, 44' models use a skidloader quick attach?

Replies11
  1. #1icestationzebra2015-04-09 22:16

    North American telehandlers are designed for general cunstruction use only. They sell buckets for them but you can't do much heavy work or you will damage the boom. Plus the chains in the boom mean that you shouldn't pull with it either. On the other hand many European style machines are designed for farm use, but they generally only have a 20-25ft boom. ISZ

  2. #2Mikefromcny2015-04-11 23:48

    Buckets are meant for loose material only. Best way to wreck a boom is to install a bucket.

  3. #3Captain Nemo2015-04-12 23:04

    grapple bucket- no problems-works good I have a 1993 Skytrak telehandler 10054 model with aux. hydros on the boom end. !0K up close, 54 foot reach. JLG(skytrak,gradall,lull) sells grapple buckets,4 in 1,material, etc. in their attachment catalog. Check it out on their website for great attachment ideas. Pretty spendy prices from the factory but no dought as to the quality. Aftermarket is less than half but you need to be careful to get something robust and stout. I just made an adapter this month to go from Skytrak quick attach to Bobtach so that I can run all of my Bobcat stuff like augers etc. I hooked up my 60 inch Bobcat flat bottom grapple and went to town demoing a mobile home and packing it into my end dump truck. It worked fantastic. The cab/boom tilt on the telehandler combined with the extreme forward tilt on the boom made for precise placement to rip roofs and walls off. Floors were easily peeled off the mobile home frame. Much better than when it is on the Bobcat. I can't see how it is going to hurt anything with some common sense operation. I like the grapple so much that I am going to order a 96" wide Loflin monster flat bottom grapple bucket with a 51 inch opening for around $3700. Happy Demo, got 5 more mobile homes to do. If a telehandler had a 360 degree swing it would be almost as good as an excavator with a thumb !

  4. #4CM19952015-04-13 12:14

    There is one out there - http://www.us.manitou.com/manitou/en/type/2/product/61-mrt-1840-easy

  5. #5Captain Nemo2015-04-13 13:35

    yes, my dream machine...... I wonder what the price tag is ?

  6. #6CM19952015-04-13 20:57

    I think it's around $200K..

  7. #7td25c2015-04-13 22:10

    Yeah stumpjumper83 , are you thinking of using the telehandler to take down the building in stead of an excavator ?

  8. #8Dualie2015-04-14 01:23

    You can pick them up used in europe for around 70K with a couple thosand hours on them. I was going to buy one and import it but at the end of the day it was going to be a ROYAL pain in the rear and a boom truck was just as handy for the same money in what i was trying to do

  9. #9stumpjumper832015-04-14 06:11

    td25, I have a two story brick store to bid, and a telehndler would reach things a lot better than a 200 class hoe. I talked with another guy and it looks like we are going to try to use both machines the telehandler will stabilize an outside wall and the hoe will do the tearing, that is if we get the job.

  10. #10td25c2015-04-14 07:25

    I remember you were looking at a Deere excavator for a demo job on another thread . I could see both machines working together . Hopefully you guys get the job and it all works out . This probably won't work in your situation .... I noticed in the final scene of Fort Apache The Bronx looks like they were demoing buildings with Cat 977's & push beams . Thought that was interesting . It's at the end of the film and just get a short look at the demo site . Fast forward to 1:59:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrcVKWm7vog

  11. #11Knepptune2015-04-14 10:03

    A guy can get away with a bucket or grapple on a telehandler for a while but it's matter of time. Those booms aren't made for the twisting force of a bucket or grapple. I may use one on my own machine but no way am I letting anyone else run it. Been there fixed that.