I have a gradall 534d-6 that won't start. I replaced starter, fuel shut off solenoid, and the key ignition and it still just clicks. I can jump starter with wire to solenoid and it cranks over, but won't start. What is my next step.
If the starter isn't getting power, neither is the fuel shut off sol.. run a jumper wire from the bat to the sol..
Thank you for that reply thepumpguysc. Will get back to you after I try that.
What pump guy says but also, electrically, Start with chassis grounds . Find them all. Clean them and tighten them. Check and confirm all fuses are in good order. Not just look good, but actually convey power. Check battery voltage while cranking. How many volts are lost while cranking.
I dovetail what funwithfuel said, you have to check voltage through the circuit, starting at the ignition switch and find where it's dropping when you hit start on the switch. The starter motor circuit first goes through start relay in the cab, but then it goes through the parking brake switch before going to starter solenoid. If the parking brake switch isn't in the brake applied position it won't crank, or if the switch is bad it can cause voltage drop. Also, the pull coil for the fuel solenoid is powered by that same wire that powers up the starter solenoid. Low voltage at that wire will also cause low voltage to pull fuel solenoid. Ignition circuit (power for hold coil of fuel solenoid) goes through 15 amp fuse before it goes to fuel solenoid. You need to check voltage at these points
Thank you all for your replies. I have done as you suggested except for parking brake check. I will do that next.
I took the relay apart and checked it and had one hot wire. Blew a couple of fuses and replaced them. Put it back together and the clicking is gone and the machine starts again. Should i think about replacing the relay? Not sure what happened to make it go again, but I do need to figure it out. Thanks again for all your input.
You may have cleaned the contacts by disassembling and reassembling. She starts every time now, no hesitation , no drag?